Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 31

Author Topic: Can delphonso make a commercial game?  (Read 46447 times)

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can delphonso make a game?
« Reply #90 on: October 13, 2021, 07:25:57 am »

-- I tried the web version (via MS Edge) and had difficulty moving in the room: I could only figure out how to change position by heading sideways with left and right arrow keys, sliding along the walls and eventually get close enough to a cube for the cactus to appear. No forward or backward for me. Missing keybinds? Missing instructions for dense people?

-- I recommend more colors for the lobby objects (walls, floor, cubes) so that they differentiate a little better.

-- In a similar vein, the combat log scrolls instantaneously, making it hard to read and follow the action. Not helped by the fact that it seems more lines appear per button press than fit in the display area. Perhaps there should be a distinctive marker in the log (e.g: "**Round 1 begins! GO!!**) to help orient the eyes.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 13, 2021, 07:32:24 am »

Were you using WASD or only arrow keys (I believe I bound both)?

Yeah, the log sucks. It is rich text so I can add a lot, such as bolding and colors. Definitely want that for technical info like the team effects, and emphasis on crits/deaths. There will also be at least a half second delay between steps, I think.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 13, 2021, 07:44:13 am »

Okay, somehow in all my trying things I forgot about WASD. :-[ Loaded again and that works.
However neither arrow keys nor numpad were letting me move except sideways.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 13, 2021, 09:00:03 pm »

Okay, somehow in all my trying things I forgot about WASD. :-[ Loaded again and that works.
However neither arrow keys nor numpad were letting me move except sideways.

Ah, I know why. Without even looking at the code last night I remembered when I put in controls, I used key detection - and left and right arrows correctly read as "left arrow" "right arrow", however up and down read as "key 0" and "key 1" or something like that. Probably a symptom of keyboard set-up on Manjaro, or because I'm using a Chinese keyboard. I shrugged it off as "I'll fix it later."

Surprise, I didn't.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #94 on: October 14, 2021, 03:24:02 am »

If you ever need art for your project and my skill is within the range you need, don't hesitate to drop me a message. Else I'll be following your project closely

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 14, 2021, 03:53:16 am »

I could use the arrow keys on my computer. The game having no ceiling was the only way I could tell I was able to move around.

Should we say what out OS is? Mine is a 32bit Windows 7.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 14, 2021, 04:22:42 am »

Mine is a 32bit Windows 7.

How?

If you ever need art for your project and my skill is within the range you need, don't hesitate to drop me a message. Else I'll be following your project closely

Thank you very much for the offer, Cathar!

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
  • Dreams of creating a great work of art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 14, 2021, 04:26:25 am »

Capumon with full might of Cathar behind?!! Can you imagine the sheer POWAH

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 15, 2021, 12:54:03 am »

Nezultan uses pocket sands on his crap browsers and a cactus, 2021, colorized
History will never forget.
The world will never forget, I'll make sure of it!

Capumon with full might of Cathar behind?!! Can you imagine the sheer POWAH
It would be a thing of beauty, all those samurai making little monsters fight for their amusement. 

Mine is a 32bit Windows 7.
How?
What do you mean?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 15, 2021, 12:55:04 am »

Alright, let's just...quickly blast away some of those bugs. Bug squashing is satisfying but also tedious. I find it interesting, as I still don't know a TON about how like...code works. So I tend to learn a lot along the way.

For instance, the enemy and player teams were duplicate()ed when the battlescene started. This, for some reason, didn't do what I wanted - as in - the player and enemy mons would retain their health between combats. What was happening here was that duplicate was duplicating the array. And ONLY the array - not the contents. So, to fix this, we have to iterate over the enemy and player teams, specifically duplicating their mons' stats from the singleton's stats.

Squashed.

Controls are easy too: This keyboard is different than the last one I used. You can see the old input there above "up". I decided to leave those alternative binds in there - in case it's a common thing.

(big, click to biggerer)

Going off what mightymushroom mentioned, the log needs an upgrade. I've been meaning to do this for a bit and think it'll be pretty easy. So let's do it.

First, new function:

Godot's RichTextLabel (what we use for the log) support BBCode! That's the same as this forum! And heck, I'm always on this forum.

For example:

All I did here was send the last lines of combat between turns to this function - they pass everything they print into "text" which we then can surround by bbcode tags.

So now, you see txtout has a few more arguments. text will always be whatever we want to print to the log. For how long will naturally be 0 (so it'll only wait a bit if we ask it to) Likewise, it'll always be black unless we say otherwise.

Then we yield for "time" and move on! Great!

This print chain is quite long, so here's just the end of it - you can see that, because the arguments are pre-set, they're optional.
The result is exactly as expected! (jpegs don't like green, apparently. It looks fine normally.)

Interestingly, Godot won't throw errors if the color isn't recognized by their BBCode handler. For example:

Will just print:

Except...
Why didn't the new line get started?

So, yield is...picky. Because this print is called twice in a row (for player and enemy health+status) it process the first one, starts the yield, but immediately starts the second one, overwriting the yield. This is exactly not its purpose, and also completely ignores what we're trying to do. I have a simple solution:

Now, because there is more code after the yield, it'll wait and do it, I guess? It's dumb.

I asked in a matrix group for some tips and people suggested checking if the timer has gone out before doing the next line. I'll see how easy it is to put that to code. Either way, what I have to do next is replace every time I print to the log with this function. This is just a bit of work, but something I'll need to be meticulous with to avoid any errors. I'll probably add another argument too for things like bold and size.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 15, 2021, 12:56:19 am »

How?
What do you mean?

As a connoisseur of old weak computers, what led you to end up with such an old PC?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 15, 2021, 01:39:17 am »

As a connoisseur of old weak computers, what led you to end up with such an old PC?
Several years ago my the motherboard in my Win7 64bit died so I had to switch to my moms old Win7 32bit laptop and that thing lasted a few years before it's hard drive died and I had to switch again to this older Win7 32bit laptop that was called the craptop, maybe at some point in the future I'll switch back to my 64bit laptop since I managed to fix it.

Also it probably doesn't help that I hate Windows 8 and 10 and refuse to use them.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 15, 2021, 06:20:19 am »

How's your game going
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 15, 2021, 07:43:52 am »

Also it probably doesn't help that I hate Windows 8 and 10 and refuse to use them.

*a nerdy ghost whispers "linux"*

How's your game going

Overall, I'm quite satisfied. I'm enjoying the process and the forum posts and feedback have really helped keep me focused on the project. That said, I'm starting to get eager to move on to something else, so I would expect this project to really only wrap up what I've promised and not really add anything new. I have a large list of what I still want to include and have been slowly checking them off.

Code-wise, it's a bit dirty, but I think understandable to someone who isn't me. It is leagues ahead of anything else I've written at this point, and I'm confident enough in it to post it online and send it to friends.

So, uh.

Good.  :D

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
  • Dreams of creating a great work of art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 15, 2021, 08:09:14 am »

I finally won. Just wanted to share  :P

But it really is coming along nicely.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 31