Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 31

Author Topic: Can delphonso make a commercial game?  (Read 46465 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Can delphonso make a commercial game?
« Reply #375 on: March 21, 2023, 10:12:17 am »

It's DONE, BAY-BEEEE

Parker did the music in 1.5 hours and although I don't think it's a perfect fit, it absolutely slaps.

So far looking good! I like that you've taken the DF route and kept the descriptions vague. Makes your imagination run wild, and there's plenty of potential to create a (mini-)campaign for some Lovecraftian WWII ttrpg. :)

Yeah, I'm happy with the "stories" it generates. I just tested it one last time and found a small, 4-tile island in the south containing only carvings of strange beings and the fact "the locals call this place 'big man's grave'. Our monkey brains can't help but fill in the details.

That thing is pretty cool, could probably use it for the base of a game if you wanted, also I'm still impressed that something like this can be made in such a short amount of time.

Yeah, I'm quite happy with the technical side and being able to rely on myself to write a couple hundred strings without interruption in an hour. I wish it were more of a game and more of something to do.

It's certainly a starting off point, but most importantly, it really did re-ignite some desire to code. So hopefully I can ride this wave for a while.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: March 22, 2023, 03:28:39 am »

Are you gonna keep working on this one or are you going back to that thing you were working on before?

Also I hope it does well in the voting!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: March 25, 2023, 02:57:55 am »

3rd place (out of 20) and rated number 1 in creativity again!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: March 25, 2023, 03:16:09 am »

Congratulations man!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: March 28, 2023, 08:24:25 am »

Are you gonna keep working on this one or are you going back to that thing you were working on before?

I'm right now just working on some small technical projects while learning Godot 4. If any of them are fun or interesting, I'll put them in the thread here.

Most of it is just grey squares with buttons that output to the terminal, testing how to connect things in the new version. It's not particularly fun or interesting so far.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: March 29, 2023, 04:13:20 am »

It sounds interesting to me even though I'm a person that knows nothing about coding, the closest I've come to coding is modding Cataclysm DDA.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: March 29, 2023, 04:17:02 am »

3rd place (out of 20) and rated number 1 in creativity again!

Nice! Congrats!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: March 29, 2023, 06:08:38 am »

Cataclysm DDA.

Don't you dare get my thread locked.

I actually implemented Conway's Game of Life in 3 dimensions today. Right now, the cubes only check 6 directions (+ or - 1 to each axis) which makes it even less sustainable than the regular game of life. I'll mess around with it and see if I can find a good balance between processing time and sustainability. Then...honestly no idea how to do an interface, but I could put that together and release it. It's been a satisfying problem.

Unrelated to gamedev, for now, but I've been using DeepAI (basically ChatGPT) as a way to solve coding problems I'm running into in bash/the linux terminal. It's been great, and clearly is a better way to learn some basics (if it's reliable) than asking on reddit/stackexchange. However I do miss long PMs to and from Starver about this stuff, so I might switch back.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: March 29, 2023, 08:43:36 am »

This was mostly (at least in general gist) 'written' in my head before I even saw the closing line of the above post. With the caveat that I'm really not an expert, just an enthusiastic wannabe-polymath (but so far failed). But.. luckily, it seems you like my long posts. And as that is very much my default mode... ;)

I actually implemented Conway's Game of Life in 3 dimensions today. Right now, the cubes only check 6 directions (+ or - 1 to each axis) which makes it even less sustainable than the regular game of life. I'll mess around with it and see if I can find a good balance between processing time and sustainability. Then...honestly no idea how to do an interface, but I could put that together and release it. It's been a satisfying problem.

The general algorithm for N-dimensional adjacent+diagonal checking would be:
Code: [Select]
for D1 (-1..+1) {
  for D2 (-1..+1) {
    for D3 (-1..+1) {
      [...any more Ds you want up to DN..]
      next loop if (D1 D2 D3 [as needed, up to DN] all equal 0) // i.e. skip if no non-zero values
      countTally+=CheckNeighbour(here.axis1+D1,here.axis2+D2,here.axis3+D3[,...here.axisN+DN])
      // However you count things and accumulate them, in your version
    }
  }
}
// now use the countTally
There's a version of that which just loops by N, within a handler that holds the iterations of all D[N] array items, but that's the one you can manually hardcode to handle greater or lesser dimensions, which is all you want if you're not going arbitrarily far up. And is better than for D (1..N) { checkNeighbour(here.axisD±1) /* etc */ }, as it gives you the corners (compound displacements) without needing to ensure you're covering all cases explicitly.

Additionally, the traditional Conway "machine" is described by B3/S23, just two number-sets. The number of neighbours that cause a 'birth' (empty cell being made to live, i.e. 3 live neighbours) and the number that cause a 'survival' (the living cell not dying, here being 2 or 3 live neighbours). Even in 2D GoLs, you can use other sets, to create different evolutions of pattern. And it need not be contiguous or even make any particular sense (e.g. B0/S02468, top of my head, no idea if that does anything interesting other than autofill an empty-field into permanent fullness!) but there are indeed interesting versions that are not B3/S23.

My suggestion is that you tweak B3/S23 into something that seems to work 'as well' in 3D as 2D, by at least making S=(2,3) into something higher-topped (maybe higher-bottomed, too?) to reflect the fact that you have 26 'neighbours' instead of just the 8. But whether some B(9?)/S6789[10,..?] is linearly equivalent or not would be trial and error on your part.

Perhaps try prospective formulae upon every single 3x3x3 pattern (you can code that, automatically, similarly to the the neighbour-code, above) then either procedurally or visually check to see if any 3x3x3 cycles emerge from that, to confirm that statics, oscilators and gliders result (even better, emerging gliders but I think 3x3x3 might be too small for a classic glider-gun unless it expands out). If you get any likely B#/S#, you can pay more attention to these, but any variation of B and S rule that just goes superdead or superlive (or superstatic) for all cases, within a few cycles, can probably be readily forgotten.

Visualisation is a doozy. I'd probably do a grid of grids (well, a line of grids, unless doing 4D), where you show a subset of the field (say start with 15x15) in a number of slices (15 of them), the centre of the central one being tile 0,0,0 etc... Rendering a 3D view (isometric would do, no need for complicated viewport stuff,perhaps just add visual cues like hypsometric shading/shaded relief to add depth cues to distinguish near 'cubes' from non-near ones that just look like they are touching) can be done in a bit of canvas off to one side of the grid-slices area, if you like, but neither view alone will be perfect. (Like 2D GoL, you have to consider how big the visual grid can be, what happens if the active cells get near the border[1], etc. But you'll have decided what method you like for the 2D version, I imagine.)

All of this, and more, will have been addressed by 'professional' GoL academics and fanboys alike. There'll be lists of other "useful" 2D B/S rulesets, and perhaps even someone exhaustively proven any equivalently interesting 3D (or moreD!) rulesets. Or else proven them as mathematically implausible for the same sort of reason as Fermat doesn't work well with indices beyond 2...

But I think you'll enjoy finding out. I'm pushing some of my own 'clues' as to how *I* would do this (again[2]) to perhaps help you on your own way. But it might just end up being a distraction, so be sure to use your proven skills at scheduling to only spend a limited amount of time on it before actually stopping yourself from tweaking it further and sinking more of your time into it than you planned. This is one of those rabbithole projects, if I'm any judge. ;)

[1] Your playing array ought to be bigger than the visual window, unless you're implementing wrap-around in all directions, and maybe you allow it to increase the array as more rows/columns/slices are needed (or shift the playing field over, if it's only "bursting out" on one edge).

[2] Hands up... Yes, I've done it before, but with much more primitive computers/code. And I could have really done with more than a few kB of working memory and a relatively low-res screen to output through! Darnit, I might just try it again myself, I could probably do it in Perl with only about half the time spent trying to decide how to implement the data-structure so that I don't eat up memory like nobody's business... ;)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 08:54:04 am by Starver »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: March 30, 2023, 03:10:15 am »

Cataclysm DDA.

Don't you dare get my thread locked.
Hey man I didn't bring any of the drama nor was I involved with it so we should be safe from it here.

Is Cataclysm going to become a forbidden word here at some point because of those people and their drama?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: March 30, 2023, 07:05:47 am »

So I've now got two computers, and that project is happening on my work computer - from memory, I can detail it as follows:

It's bound to 3 dimensions, as every cell is a cube that is instanced.
Right now, the cells check their neighbors themselves. If their neighbor is empty, they pass that information up to the map, which attaches an integer to it. This integer goes up the more cells are next to it.
This way, the game isn't keeping track of the whole map and checking all the empty cells for neighbors. I assume this is faster, but have no actual clue.
The cells check their neighbors in 18 directions right now. That's everything in a 3x3x3 cube except the corners. This produces interesting patterns still, and is a bit faster than checking all 26 directions.
As for the rules I'm working with, I've cleverly not hardcoded them and so can change them pretty easily whenever I'd like. It's 3 or greater neighbors to spawn a new cell, and the safe zone is between 2 and 10 neighbors.
The "world" is a hallway about 30 by 30 cells, and open on each end. The game will slow to fully freezing before the cells reach out the hallway, as of now. When I make an interface, maybe I can make it so the player sets the rules for the game.

I'm undecided on changing the cubes to be semi-transparent, or just allowing the user to pause at any time and move around the space to look at their cubes, clipping and all.

Is Cataclysm going to become a forbidden word here at some point because of those people and their drama?

I think only for a week, then we'll move on.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 07:12:41 am by delphonso »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: March 31, 2023, 04:08:48 am »

That sounds pretty cool are you planing to make a game out of it or is it just gonna be a cell replication simulation?

Also won't your boss get mad about you making this on a work computer?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: March 31, 2023, 07:26:11 am »

I'm actually wondering if all these tests I'm making in Godot 4 could be tossed together into something like a portfolio project. I also have a weird desire to make Simon, which is not really a standalone game by any means, but could be put in the same "game" as this and maybe some other stuff. I don't know where that chain of thoughts will go. Warioware?

Also won't your boss get mad about you making this on a work computer?

China has like... 3 hour lunch breaks where people usually sleep after eating. I don't eat as heavy a lunch as most folks here do, so I don't feel the need to pass out for that long. It's free time for me. Aside from that, I'm pretty good at my main job, so people are willing to give me a pass on some stuff. Plus the occasional automation of office tasks that I can do puts me in their good graces.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: April 01, 2023, 03:16:04 am »

I also have a weird desire to make Simon, which is not really a standalone game by any means, but could be put in the same "game" as this and maybe some other stuff. I don't know where that chain of thoughts will go. Warioware?
You know that'd be pretty cool to have a game filled with mini games, you'd even be able to use all the other small games you've made for it.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: April 01, 2023, 03:22:08 am »

I also have a weird desire to make Simon, which is not really a standalone game by any means, but could be put in the same "game" as this and maybe some other stuff. I don't know where that chain of thoughts will go. Warioware?
You know that'd be pretty cool to have a game filled with mini games, you'd even be able to use all the other small games you've made for it.

For some reason the first thing I thought of was Space Quest III and the arcade game you could play in it. Astro Chicken was its name, I think.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 31