Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Hearth of Wrath (40d - DnD Forge of Fury Conversion)  (Read 2593 times)

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Hearth of Wrath (40d - DnD Forge of Fury Conversion)
« on: September 17, 2021, 08:23:58 pm »

Two centuries ago, a great dwarf smith and his clan were forced to flee their home by a horde of fierce goblins.  After years of wandering, they settled the hills and named their home 'Ur Akith' - the Hearth of Wrath.

Ever thought of adventuring through a Dwarven fortress in a TTRPG?  Now, you can!  This is a total conversion of DnD's "Forge of Fury" into Dwarf Fortress.  By building the dungeon in Fortress mode, construction was influenced by the needs of natural fort dwellings - Dormitories, storage areas, and access tunnels are added in areas that were lacking in the original design, while the dungeon itself is created as faithfully as possible while also conforming to geological structures.

The idea is to run a game of DnD from these maps, while running Dwarf Fortress to look around and see specifically what items, furniture, engravings, etc. are in the area.

Get the save file here!

Maps

The Mountain Door
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Farms

Windmill

Crypt

Watchtower

The Glitterhame

The Sinkhole

Secret Tunnels

Chasm

The Foundry

The Black Lake

If you'd like to use these maps for your own game, here's a collection of creature tiles!.

If you're running Tales from the Yawning Portal, you'll want to start with The Sunken Citadel, a recreation of the Sunless Citadel.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 10:52:27 pm by KenboCalrissian »
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Re: The Hearth of Wrath (40d - DnD Forge of Fury Conversion)
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2021, 08:28:46 pm »

Oh wow, Forge of Fury was one of my favorite D&D adventures! Never thought I'd see it in the game.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2021, 11:44:57 pm »

Wow, that’s cool. Which edition are you thinking?
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 07:59:31 pm »

5th edition, I used 'Tales from the Yawning Portal' as a reference when building this.  I'm considering doing more, depending on how well this turns out.  I've currently got most of these in Roll20 with dynamic lighting set up, but the fun part will be creating pixelized tokens for the players and creatures.

I'm attempting to float a campaign over Severedcoils, my community fort that's gone far too long without a proper ending.  I've replaced the Yawning Portal with my fortress, importing all the major dwarves as NPCs and setting the players towards collecting artifacts from each of the Yawning Portal's dungeons, gradually angling the players towards discovering the events that have taken place over the course of Severedcoils' history.  The players will eventually decide how Severedcoils ends.

What I've done is brought the game to a point in time I'd like to use as a reference, paused it, and kept it open while directing the DnD campaign.  Then, I can use the paused game as a reference for item descriptions, NPC descriptions and attitudes, even the physical location of the NPCs themselves.

Some examples from the first night:
-When the party met their contact in the fort, I [l]ooked at that character and described their clothing straight from their inventory
-What do we have to drink?  Let's check the [z]stocks!  Hm, we actually have a drink shortage at the moment, but we have plenty of Sewer Whiskey!
-A kid is running the market.  He has a +talc bracelet+ for sale.  The barbarian bought it to be polite and has added it to his character description.
-What's that on the wall?  Engravings of the fort's leader ascending to power... except this one, which seems to depict the release of a demon.  What's that about?
-Is that a freaking dragon tied up by the main gate?  You say it's been tamed?

The results were promising, but short-lived.  The party doesn't want to sit around town (and explore my beautiful fortress), they want dungeons to delve!  So, if I want the party to really explore a Dwarf Fortress fortress, it'll have to be a dungeon.  And what better way to test the waters than the dungeon that is, canonically, already a dwarven fortress?

One thing I plan to do with this dungeon is make magic items out of all the artifacts created while the dwarves were building this fort.  Some of the odd nooks and crannies you'll notice around the map are meant as hiding places for these artifacts, though I did not make a hiding place for every artifact (or even decide what goes where).  One of the quirky things about this map is the Sinkhole is actually positioned above the Glitterhame, because of the shape of the underground river with respect to what I needed to map out.  This positioning (as well as the fortunate positioning of the underground pool, which became the Black Lake) also lead to the creation of the artificial river through the Foundry, and the lever which gives the players a fun way to control part of the dungeon if they find it.  It was challenging to fit everything, but that created a lot of new features to play with.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 10:45:07 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2021, 08:02:43 pm »

I'm speechless. This is just incredible!
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2021, 11:11:49 pm »

Oh yeah, I almost forgot: the world map!

Using History mode, I traced the world civs over the map export straight from the game, added a new civ to house non-Dwarf Fortress races, and scaled it such that it would take at least a couple of weeks to get from home base to the dungeon, and a couple of weeks back.  Why so much distance?  So I have time to build new stuff!  In the off-time between sessions, I'm going to play the game and continue telling my story, but only as long as the party has been away from base.  During that time, I'll construct new projects for the party to come back to.  Eventually, the party will be allowed to influence buildings by making requests, and their interactions will become part of the story too.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 01:50:00 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2021, 04:01:48 am »

This is pretty cool.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2021, 01:29:53 pm »

This wouldn't be a 'community fort' without some players involved, right?  Adapted from the Guybrush tileset, here's the cast of this campaign:

Alefgard Tantagel

A cowardly human wizard who dropped out of magic school.  His spells often go haywire, and he doesn't know his own limits.  Forced into adventuring by his roommate, Edward, Alefgard prefers to stay out of trouble and shrink away to the back of the group if possible.

Bubb

A smelly warforged cleric.  No one knows where it's from, or why it's constantly surrounded by flies (actually, that probably has to do with the stench of rotting meat emanating from its metal frame).  Whenever something stinks, this strange machine prefers to rub whatever it is all over itself.

Edward

A courageous human bard.  Edward set out for adventure to find new stories to tell, but he wasn't about to let Alefgard bum around his home while he was gone so he made his roommate come with.  Edward is at the ready to buff the party when trouble arises.

Ratnarok the Unstoppable

A feisty meadowguard barbarian.  This rat man carries a great axe too large for his size, but doesn't let that stop him as he flies headlong squeaking into battle.

Sergei Bloodscale

A steadfast dragonborn fighter.  Suited in heavy armor and wielding a sword and a shield with an eye emblazoned onto it, Sergei uses breath and board to ignite the enemy and tank for the party.

Space Pants

A troublesome felis sorceror.  This cat has a serious hatred for elves, and looks for every opportunity to instigate and frustrate the enemy with illusions and gaslighting.

Zumies

A stealthy half-elf rogue.  Zumies serves his role as a scout and a trap disarmer, though he lives only to serve his wallet.  He has already proven himself deadly efficient at assassinating targets in silence, but how far can the party trust him?

And special guests:
Meepo

A pitiful kobold cleric.  Meepo joined the party within the Sunless Citadel, hoping to recover his clan's pet dragon wyrmling.  Whether he stays with the party beyond that adventure, or leaves to be replaced with another party member later, depends on the party's actions.

Zeke Barrens

A transient T'zenian fighter.  Wielding a sword that glows with plasma energy, this badger man is not a member of the party, but rather a traveling merchant who appears within the dungeon to trade treasure for magic items.  This badger comes from another world with advanced technology, and he can slip in and out of dangerous areas via a teleportation device.  Zeke requires treasure to fund an effort to put a stop to the organized crime ring run by his brothers, enough so that he's willing to break a few intergalactic laws to pawn some electronic "junk" to a lower-tech world.

---
The party is currently at the start of The Sunless Citadel, and we play every two weeks.  It'll be some time before the party is ready to delve into The Hearth of Wrath, but when they do, I'll use this thread to narrate the party's adventure, like I've done with Severedcoils (in fact, this will become a part of Severedcoils canon and exist as sort of a satellite story).

« Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 11:39:08 am by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2021, 07:15:34 pm »

Last update for a while.  Here's a collection of creature tiles, in case you'd like to put this together in Roll20 as I have.  Again, these graphics are adapted from the Guybrush tileset.

When the party reaches this dungeon, I'll come back to this thread and give live updates as they go!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 08:17:51 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.