Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Seiges?  (Read 1141 times)

GandalfTheGreyt3791

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Seiges?
« on: September 18, 2021, 10:21:14 am »

I recently got a message saying "The enemy have come and are laying siege to the fortress." which is the one for Human armies attacking, and i saw the humans when the view zoomed to them, but then they just disappeared, and there is no siege message at the top of the screen. Is there any way that they could be hiding? There is a human consort in my tavern at the moment, could he be a spy?

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
Re: Seiges?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2021, 11:02:43 am »

It sounds like they immediately decided to leave.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2021, 11:22:17 am »

It sometimes happens, I have encountered it in earlier versions. You can send the army to the general area the humans were seen, to look for any marauders, but most probably there are none. The consort may have nothing to do with them, but still can be a spy (but consort are frequent visitors, or at least used to be).

Check out if the humans are in war with elves you trade with, or your civilisation, this may be the reason they attempted the attack.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 02:12:49 pm by Saiko Kila »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2021, 11:29:27 am »

It's most likely a "hello/goodbye" siege. They are presumably a bug and manifest themselves as the appearance of a siege message, typically a few enemies by the edge, and then everyone disappearing the next tick, with the siege indication cleared.
There is a variation of this where the siegers actually leave a few sneaking troops behind (snatchers, necromancers, etc.).

All the hello/goodbye sieges I've been able to examine (through DFHack) have had fewer than 10 members, but the sample size is too small for any conclusions.

GandalfTheGreyt3791

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2021, 02:01:00 pm »

Ok. Thanks for the suggestions. I had just started the save, and hadn't set up my militia yet, and had to quickly connect my gate and raise it, but then they were gone.

GandalfTheGreyt3791

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2021, 03:26:01 pm »

Ok. so it turns out im at peace with the elves, but at war with the humans, who are also at war with the elves, but i havent done anything that would cause the humans to be angered at my civ. Is this just world gen history?

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2021, 06:04:07 pm »

Ok. so it turns out im at peace with the elves, but at war with the humans, who are also at war with the elves, but i havent done anything that would cause the humans to be angered at my civ. Is this just world gen history?

You are at peace with elves, and trading with them, that's your sin. Humans are angry, because humans are possessive as it is. Actually it is more likely this is due to world history, without your input at all, and the situation was already developed when you started.

GandalfTheGreyt3791

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2021, 06:47:26 pm »

ok. That makes sense. Also, i just let the hippies sit in the depot and dont react with them. Also, My fortress was overrun by zombie dwarves risen by the dwarven necromancer who lived in the fortress... everyone is dead.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2021, 07:22:06 pm »

You refuse to trade witht he elves? You're missing out. War elephants, war giant wolves, even war big-cat types, all of my breeding pairs always come from elf purchases. Elves might be weird about what they want traded, but really, who can argue with buying such wonderful warbeasts every year?
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2021, 04:42:01 pm »

Also, My fortress was overrun by zombie dwarves risen by the dwarven necromancer who lived in the fortress... everyone is dead.

Well, make them un-dead, won't you ;)

You refuse to trade witht he elves? You're missing out. War elephants, war giant wolves, even war big-cat types, all of my breeding pairs always come from elf purchases. Elves might be weird about what they want traded, but really, who can argue with buying such wonderful warbeasts every year?

From my experience they more often bring hoary marmots and giant versions of passerine birds than the war beasts, but still, I like trading with them. Regarding OP, it is only a problem with humans if they are warring with elves.