Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Storing goblets in chests  (Read 1173 times)

DwarfUli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Storing goblets in chests
« on: September 18, 2021, 08:32:34 pm »

I created a stockpile in my tavern that allows only "goblets", yet my dwarves seem to always place their goblets on top of the wine barrels in the tavern. Is there a way to force things to be stored in chests?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Storing goblets in chests
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 02:46:00 am »

No.

The goblets allocated to tavern chests are available exclusively to tavern personnel for shoving drinks down the throat of patrons. Self serving dorfs can not use those goblets, and thus are restricted to use the ones not allocated to taverns. You can create goblet only stockpiles, but that's really a waste of effort (like stockpiling toys), as a thirsty dorf then would have to go to the stockpile to pick up a goblet, then go to the drinks stockpile to have a drink, drop the goblet after drinking, and then have the goblet tasked for being hauled back to the stockpile as a new job. You'd just add extra hauling jobs for no real benefit. It's better to have the goblets already in the booze stockpile to reduce the distance dorfs have to travel.

You can produce a limited number of goblets and allocate them all to taverns. Then poisoners employed by taverns (tavern keepers and performers are equal) would shove drinks down the throat of patrons, after which the goblets are dropped on the floor and tasked to be hauled back to the chests. If the poisoners can't keep up (and possibly even if they could) dorf self serve and then get unhappy thoughts because they can't get hold of a goblet, and so have to drink from the tap.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2021, 02:40:50 pm »

I like having a moderate sized bin-less goblet stockpile just to make sure I have a slight overabundance of goblets available, but PatrickLundell, you bring up a good point about all the wasted hauling time involved in goblet stockpiles.  I tend to avoid the z-stocks screen because it's hard to avoid those few line items that take forever to calculate how many blocks or whatever I have, but this looks like a good reason to wade into it.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2021, 04:27:10 pm »

Binless goblet stockpiles can be touching the edge of the drinks stockpile, to prevent too much travel for those goblets, but yeah, dwarves need them to be scattered around where they can get them, so there will always be a bit of a flow of goblets on barrels around and about.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2021, 01:03:23 pm »

Maybe assign just 1 or 2 goblets to each tavern, to slow down the tavern keepers but still allow them to serve, then use a standing order to make more goblets when there is only a few left (goblets carried and in chests will not be counted, so a "make 5 more when less than 5 remain" order is all you need). No stockpiles for goblets needed.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2021, 07:26:20 pm »

Drinks and goblets in the same stockpile.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2021, 09:25:28 pm »

I dig out my tavern in such a way that it ends up being 33x11 in size, and make a room the same size behind the tavern to hold my drink and prepared meal stockpiles.  Unfortunately, the game won’t let me designate the entire room as a single stockpile, so I end up with two stockpiles:  the main one is 31x11 and holds my drinks and meals, while the other one is 2x11 and set to only take goblets.  I don’t have any poisoners or assistant poisoners.  In my last fort, I built a stone coffer in the tavern to store instruments in, and the dwarves took a bunch of the cups and mugs from the goblet stockpile and put them in the coffer.  I suppose I should just make the 2x11 stockpile another drink and meal stockpile, and let the dwarves get a cup or mug out of the coffer when they need a drink…
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2021, 01:59:03 am »

@A_Curious_Cat: Goblets assigned to the tavern (and thus [at least nominally] placed in coffers) can ONLY be used by poisoners for drink serving. These goblets are unavailable for self serving (like hospital stores are unavailable for other jobs). The tavern settings allow you to specify the maximum number of goblets and instruments you store there, and if you don't have any personnel in the tavern you don't need any goblets, so that number can be reduced (the instruments, in contrast, are available to patrons).

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2021, 03:57:26 am »

If you only assign one goblet, will that prevent alcohol poisoning?

Can fortress residents still bring their own goblets to the Tavern?
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2021, 11:13:45 am »

A reduced number of goblets assigned to the tavern reduces the serving capacity of poisoners, and it has been reported that this helps. I haven't seen any recommended number of poisoners and goblets in relation to the dorf population, though.
I would guess (no personal experiments made) that a single poisoner on duty with a single cup and a single patron would still be able to kill a susceptible dorf, but I don't know if poisoners take up the task of hauling the goblet back to the coffer or whether that's a requirement for reuse, or if a poisoner can just sweep the goblet off the floor for a refill.

Dorfs can only self serve with goblets they have access to themselves, and they can't bring one and give it to a poisoner for serving.

It can also be noted that I'm not aware of any observations of whether poisoners serve the patrons' favored booze or just whatever is closest (when the favored brews are available, of course).