Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weird Yellow Filter, can't get rid of it  (Read 1746 times)

Fikilili

• Bay Watcher
  • "Elves make no sense, change my mind."
    • View Profile
Weird Yellow Filter, can't get rid of it
« on: September 19, 2021, 04:10:19 pm »

Using Krugg's tileset, every time I boot up the game, it shows up with that disgusting yellow filter on it. Not that it's particularly bothersome gameplay wise, but visually, it gives some kind of anxiety that prevents me from progressing. Has it ever happened to anyone else? I tried to look it up and found nothing. Is there any kind of solution to that?
Before you asked, yes, I checked if I perfectly change the parameters to fully implement the tileset, there's nothing wrong with anything on that level. I even removed the tileset, only to realize that the filter was still there.
"Military? What's that? Something to eat?"

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
Re: Weird Yellow Filter, can't get rid of it
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 06:28:25 pm »

Colours are defined separately.  Look at ~/data/init/colors.txt.  Most tilesets supply their own colors.txt, but it can be changed on its own - reverted to vanilla or whatever... I wonder if this is your issue?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 06:30:00 pm by feelotraveller »

Fikilili

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2021, 04:26:39 pm »

Colours are defined separately.  Look at ~/data/init/colors.txt.  Most tilesets supply their own colors.txt, but it can be changed on its own - reverted to vanilla or whatever... I wonder if this is your issue?
Thing is, I never touched those files ever. So it musn't be coming from that?

Move out of Mexico to disable the yellow filter.  ;)

But seriously, altough I don't use tilesets, since you mention that this problem seems to be happening to you even with no tileset, it might be an issue that doesn't have to do with the tileset or even DF, try checking if this problem also happens outside of DF, if so there's a problem with your monitor, try messing with the color management settings on your PC or check if night light mode is enabling itself.
Well, DF is the only game/program affected by that yellow filter thing. I have no idea where this comes from and the color management settings aren't helping at all.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2021, 07:00:37 pm »

Thing is, I never touched those files ever. So it musn't be coming from that?

Are you sure?  Kruggsmash's tileset comes with its own color.txt which is installed by default.  Check if your file matches the one here: https://kruggsmash.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/colors.txt rather than the vanilla one (can check here: https://www.dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Color_scheme#Default_Scheme (click to 'show' at bottom of section).

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2021, 07:24:39 pm »

Either way, save files hold none of this color data. Pull your world file out of this installation of DF, delete the old install and reinstall. If it doesn't fix it, then it isn't the colors.txt

Fikilili

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2021, 03:56:02 am »

Well, good news everyone. I've downloaded LNP and pretty much got rid of the Yellow filter. From what I can tell, the filter was caused by my screen being extremely fucking bright and an app that turns it orange-ish at night. You know, the kinda thing that eases your eyes after a prolonged exposure?
Well it wasn't just that, because even without said app, there was this darn Yellow filter. I checked the color files but I haven't found anything there.
I guess this will remain a mystery. Perhaps we got a new plot for a X Files episode.