Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Moving instruments to different locations  (Read 1146 times)

DwarfUli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Moving instruments to different locations
« on: September 19, 2021, 04:28:22 pm »

I traded a bunch of stone goblets for an Elven made instrument. Based on the description, its a small, stringed instrument (complete instrument, not parts).
It was hauled from the trade depot, to my main stockpile. I can actually see it sitting there. I tried placing it using (b)build but "instrument" does not show the existence of any instruments.
I then changed the custom settings (t) of the main stockpile, to specifically not allow instruments. But even if I create a 1x1 stockpile in my tavern that only accepts instruments, the instrument is not moved to the tavern. I tried placing a large chest in my tavern, hoping I needed some sort of case for it, but how do I load the instrument in the chest? I have 45 citizens. Most have hauling turned on.
I will say, when I saved last, of 45 dwarves, 27 where either getting drunk or praying..dwarves are strange creatures.

The thing was rather expensive, 180db or so. I'd like to get some good use out of it.
Thanks for any advice

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
Re: Moving instruments to different locations
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 04:42:13 pm »

If the instrument is too small to be floor mounted, then you are right about installing a coffer. However, this is an elf instrument, and perhaps you have no one who knows how to use said instrument, and they're not trying to use it?

I suspect moving an instrument out of a stockpile and into a tavern coffer might be a low priority task, perhaps you just need to wait. The tavern might also not have been set up to take instruments, or be full of instruments already, so you could check the settings in the tavern. Is the coffer full of mugs now? I've had that happen. Maybe it's best just to wait.

In the meantime, research your own dwarfy instruments, and see if there's anything you can make to use on site. The dwarves might be more likely to know how to use those instruments.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

DwarfUli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2021, 05:05:47 pm »

If the instrument is too small to be floor mounted, then you are right about installing a coffer. However, this is an elf instrument, and perhaps you have no one who knows how to use said instrument, and they're not trying to use it?

I suspect moving an instrument out of a stockpile and into a tavern coffer might be a low priority task, perhaps you just need to wait. The tavern might also not have been set up to take instruments, or be full of instruments already, so you could check the settings in the tavern. Is the coffer full of mugs now? I've had that happen. Maybe it's best just to wait.

In the meantime, research your own dwarfy instruments, and see if there's anything you can make to use on site. The dwarves might be more likely to know how to use those instruments.

Oh crap, I didn't consider dwarves might not know how to play elven instruments or even like them :/  I need to learn to think more like a dwarf lol.
The chest is empty. I will try unpausing longer and see what happens.

I will try building an instrument tonight. See if they like that better.

Thank you Thisfox

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2021, 05:49:20 pm »

"Like" and "Know how to play" are two different things: My dwarves always seem to hire elven entertainers, so I don't think they'll dislike the music the instrument makes. It is important to have as many types of instruments as possible, so you can make a match between musician and instrument more likely. You won't regret the elven instrument, but (as a random example) it might be only traditionally played alongside a different instrument (think guitar vs bass guitar) or you might just not have anyone with the skills right now.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

DwarfStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2021, 06:58:53 pm »

You can watch what songs are being played in our fort, and when there is a part with an instrument that is not available, you may see a unit simulating that instrument. That's a good sign that if you built that instrument, it would get used.

DwarfUli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2021, 07:58:17 pm »

You can watch what songs are being played in our fort, and when there is a part with an instrument that is not available, you may see a unit simulating that instrument. That's a good sign that if you built that instrument, it would get used.

Serious? This rabbit hole seems to never end with this sim, it just goes deeper and deeper. How delightful...

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2021, 01:37:28 am »

I believe taverns default to take 5 instruments, which I always crank up to max. Also, if you don't actually want to keep some instruments in your instrument stockpile I'd just remove it.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2021, 03:52:14 am »

"Like" and "Know how to play" are two different things: My dwarves always seem to hire elven entertainers, so I don't think they'll dislike the music the instrument makes. It is important to have as many types of instruments as possible, so you can make a match between musician and instrument more likely. You won't regret the elven instrument, but (as a random example) it might be only traditionally played alongside a different instrument (think guitar vs bass guitar) or you might just not have anyone with the skills right now.

In my experiments with songs, this seemed to be the case - a certain culture has access to (usually 4, I think) instruments and their own set of songs. I don't think you can play song/instruments (or even recite poems) from a different civ without joining in on a performance lead by someone of that civ (such as a travelling elven musician).

It might even be that dwarves of one civ cannot play the instruments of a dwarf of another civ, which is interesting. Imagine an Italian cellist trying to play a Chinese erhu.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2021, 07:57:11 am »

Dorf can learn music from other civs, and, in fact, most of the music known by non void dorf migrant require instruments from other civs (making it rather difficult to get hold of the instruments required).

I would expect that once a dorf has learned a piece of music (probably by witnessing it a sufficient number of times) they can start practicing it.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2021, 07:57:04 am »

Serious? This rabbit hole seems to never end with this sim, it just goes deeper and deeper. How delightful...

It's not deep enough until there are dwarves that complain about other dwarves doing an air *instrument*.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.