Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 56

Author Topic: [Suggestion game]Choice of Magics  (Read 28607 times)

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
Re: [Suggestion game]Choice of Magics
« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2021, 09:03:49 pm »

We going good or evil with this guy? Cause I know it gets pretty fun after you transform your tenth person into a tortoise.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2021, 09:07:03 pm »

Can we please try to be good?
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2021, 09:19:22 pm »

Orison.

Foo Orison: you suppose it will never appear on the back of a book, because you'll choose a professional name before then. "Wizard Foo"? "Magician Foo"? At the moment, it all sounds unusual and awkward, and you're not even sure Mayor Cos would allow it.

"You think they'll tell our tale in some musty book like this one day?" you call out to Tal, who is exploring a different aisle.

"I dunno, what's the tale?" Tal shouts back.

1."How Foo and Tal saved the Kingdom of Eirinia."
2."How Foo and Tal brought magic back to the Kingdom of Eirinia."
3."How Foo and Tal started a revolution and took over the Kingdom of Eirinia."

Spoiler: Stats (click to show/hide)
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2021, 09:39:39 pm »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2021, 04:18:48 am »

The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2021, 07:39:39 am »

Come on people, think of the tortoises

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2021, 04:17:11 pm »

"How Foo and Tal saved the Kingdom of Eirinia."

"Yeah?" Tal replies. "The queen's abducted by the Neighbors or something, and we come to her rescue?"

"No need to get fanciful with the Neighbors bit," you say. "There are plenty of people threatening Queen Thecla right in Edra. The capital's crawling with villainous intrigue."

"From what I've heard, Queen Thecla can intrigue fine on her own," Tal says. "Maybe she sets up her own capture as a test or something. To see if the hierophant tries to take over in her absence."

You hate to admit it, but Tal might be better at coming up with plots than you. "Okay, so let's say the Church does take over in the queen's stead. We return with the queen to Edra, reach the palace, and…"

"And everybody agrees Noodles would make a better ruler than either of those old biddies," Tal says. Her purple stuffed monkey, the aforementioned Noodles, peeks his head around the corner. Tal wiggles the monkey's arms. "'I'll make the best ruler. Vote for me!' Noodles, that's not how a monarchy works. 'Well, it's how a monkeyarchy works!'"

"I don't think the queen's that old," you say.

"Oh?" Tal says. "I thought she was old."

"I think she's just in her thirties or something."

"So, kind of old," Tal says. You think she's only half joking; even though both of you are in your midtwenties, thirty still seems far away.

"Anyway, I thought the point was that we would save the day."

Tal barks a laugh. "Yeah, well, I've always known you to cause more trouble than you solve, but it's a nice thought."

"If you think that, then why'd you bring me along?"

"Because being around somebody like that is fun," Tal says with a grin. "And here we are." (Increased Tal Relationship.) (Increased Optimism.)

After a bit of hunting, you find introductory texts for negation, glamor, divination, and automation. That makes a total of six thick books: one for each school, plus the tome of advanced magic called the Megali Mageia. You can barely carry them all. You suppose you'll have to come back with a mule or something.

You hesitate to bring back a book on negation magic. Some superstitious folk in town believe that the dark sun is not merely a physical entity beneath the surface of the earth but rather an evil force that threatens to corrupt everyone it comes in contact with. You know the ancients didn't see it that way; the ancients even used the dark sun at the heart of the earth as a power source for their factories. You resolve to be circumspect about your own use of the magic.

While Tal is busy searching for books that look expensive, you can't wait to try some of this new magic. Divination sounds promising; you recall the main drawback of divination is that it reveals some of your own information to whomever you scry upon. If you scry on a thing instead, someone associated with the thing will learn something about you—perhaps the thing's guardian, or its creator, or someone very interested in possessing it.

What would you like to find out with divination?

1.Where is the most valuable object in these ruins?
2.Is there a potential ally here in these ruins?
3.What might we most like to avoid in these ruins?

My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2021, 04:22:07 pm »

Ok, the fact that Divination is more of an information trade with the target rather than just broadcasting to whoever makes it more promising.

2, please.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 26, 2021, 10:21:03 pm »

3 seems like a bad idea.

"the danger is a dragon, she now knows where you are have fun!"

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 26, 2021, 11:29:21 pm »

Is there a potential ally here in these ruins?

You decide to cast a spell to look for potential allies—monsters or golems that might befriend you. (Increased Caution.) You place your left thumb and forefinger on your temples and hold up your right hand with fingers splayed. Willing your senses to expand, you intone, "Mysterion gnomai! Amicus gnosia exanthus!"

Before your eyes appears a vision of an ancient stone golem, adjusting some levers on an old contraption in what looks to be some sort of service tunnel. The stone golem itself is a blocky creature, but it wears a tattered tabard emblazoned with the crest of the magic academy: an open book surrounded by a tree, an eye, a black sun, a gear, and a crown. On the wall beside the golem is some kind of map, but you can't make it out clearly.

The golem looks up, startled. It turns to look directly at you. Then the vision fades.

You think this is the drawback of divination in action: you have divined the location of the golem, but it has also divined yours. (Gained Divination.)

"Tal, I think I found a potential ally, but I suspect it doesn't know it wants to be our friend yet," you say. "Are you done?"

"Sure," Tal says, returning to you with a backpack that is now bulging with heavy books.

You return to the section on automation magic and pick up a readable-looking tome on golem commands and protocols. (Gained Automation.)

Then you head for the exit to the library, a set of double doors that each bear the same set of symbols you saw on the golem's livery.

You and Tal emerge from the library's main entrance into another quadrangle with false stars twinkling above. Where the last quadrangle appeared residential, this one seems administrative, with colonnades and porticoes in the classical style. The tall wooden buildings were shaped by vivomancy and painted to resemble marble. Fancy in taste, cheap in budget: you've heard the university in the capital is the same way.

"So, why don't you just cast all the divinations you want?" Tal asks.

"It's just mentally exhausting," you say. "Casting one leaves you unable to concentrate on the next. You need time to recover. And then, of course, there's the fact that it tends to give someone else information about you in return."

"I suppose there are plenty of things I'd rather not know," Tal says.

You flinch a little at that. In fact, there's one secret that you've always kept from Tal that would make you afraid of ever casting a divination on her, lest she learn that secret from you. What is it?

1.It was my fault Tal lost her eye.
2.It was my fault Tal lost her father.
3.I reported Tal to Mayor Cos.

Tough choice there.

My mods and forum games.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2021, 11:35:01 pm »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 27, 2021, 03:25:04 am »

The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 56