Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56

Author Topic: [Suggestion game]Choice of Magics  (Read 29428 times)

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
Re: [Suggestion game]Choice of Magics
« Reply #810 on: December 02, 2021, 06:31:35 am »

It seems to be no matter what choices we make it turns to complete shit for some reason, maybe the game wants us to fail no matter what we do.

There's been several warning signs about the consequences of using magic along the way, but we've insisted on continuing using it and even being arrogant about it (like the one where we chose to believe that we'd be "more careful than the ancestors"). The world was f'ed up by people using magic, so why would our usage of magic be any different?

But yeah, I agree that the game does seem to want us to fail, as there's really not been such good alternatives for magic.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: December 02, 2021, 08:06:53 am »

I do agree with you that things may have gone too far for 1 or 3 to have been effective.  But 3 was to put regulations on magic use, and 1 was to try and convince people to stop using magic.
That's simply false. 3 was to ban all magic without consent of the Queen, and 1 was to try to convince people that only the sufficiently holy should use magic. Those are specific cases of the general principles you described them as, and they are the wrong specific cases. The most reasonable response to people misusing something dangerous is to teach them why it's dangerous.

There's been several warning signs about the consequences of using magic along the way, but we've insisted on continuing using it and even being arrogant about it (like the one where we chose to believe that we'd be "more careful than the ancestors"). The world was f'ed up by people using magic, so why would our usage of magic be any different?
What is arrogant about trying to be more careful than people who weren't careful? That is the opposite of arrogance, that is having the humility to recognize we need to be careful.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: December 02, 2021, 10:09:06 am »

Arrogant was a poor choice of words from me (not sure exactly what's the correct word I was looking for). The context I was referring to was the discussion we had with Tal about the fire-breathing penguins where Tal voiced some concerns, and we replied with "I'm being more careful than the ancients. I promise."

Maybe it's just me or I misinterpreted, but when I hear someone saying something along the lines of things being different this time (even with good intentions), alarm bells start to ring.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: December 02, 2021, 10:29:36 am »

Arrogant was a poor choice of words from me (not sure exactly what's the correct word I was looking for). The context I was referring to was the discussion we had with Tal about the fire-breathing penguins where Tal voiced some concerns, and we replied with "I'm being more careful than the ancients. I promise."

Maybe it's just me or I misinterpreted, but when I hear someone saying something along the lines of things being different this time (even with good intentions), alarm bells start to ring.
I knew what you were referring to.
To me, it depends on whether things are, in fact, different this time. Sometimes things actually are different because you are doing something differently. I saw this as an opportunity to assert the intention to be more careful this time.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: December 02, 2021, 01:41:11 pm »

We run.

You grab Sam's hand and run away from the sound.

But a great shadow briefly passes overhead, and you look up to see that your great creature, Texas Ranger Simba, the Lion King, has bounded over you in a giant leap. It crashes into the forest ahead of you, and turns to face you.

Verdigris gives a defiant "Maaah!"

"You shall pay for the subjugation of the dragons," the seahorse rumbles.

Chapter 8: The Rebellious Masterpiece

"But you're unique!" you say. "You're not very much like the dragons of the kingdom at all."

"All creatures of vivomancy whom you subjugate are my people," Texas Ranger Simba, the Lion King declares.

"Don't pick a fight you can't win, Texas Ranger Simba, the Lion King," you say.

"I have not," the seahorse says.

How do you feel about the sudden appearance of your seahorse?

1.Embarrassed. I had no idea I was causing it such grief.
2.Amused. This thing thinks it has a chance against me?
3.Delighted. How interesting that it appears to have learned vivomancy!

I wish I could comment more on what's going on with the game, but I feel like I need to stay neutral here. One thing I will say is that it was possible to stop the Magisterians without using magic.

Spoiler: Stats (click to show/hide)
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: December 02, 2021, 02:14:10 pm »

You assholes made mistakes with naming him.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: December 02, 2021, 03:58:58 pm »

Yeah, no one messes with the Texas Ranger.  :)

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: December 02, 2021, 05:07:13 pm »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: December 02, 2021, 07:26:11 pm »

It seems to be no matter what choices we make it turns to complete shit for some reason, maybe the game wants us to fail no matter what we do.

CYOAs come in all difficulties.  Some of them you have to walk a very narrow path to come out with a good end, sometimes including foolish or strange decisions to be made early on.  If most things turn out bad, it just means this is a fairly difficult game, and it might take several attempts at it to understand all of what's going on.

...If we end up ruling the kingdom through our pet monster which sits on the throne, Im'a gonna call that a good end regardless of what happens.  ;-p
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 08:23:52 pm by Devastator »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: December 03, 2021, 02:46:52 am »

The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: December 03, 2021, 07:36:01 pm »

Embarrassed.

You feel a little bad that you were causing this delightful creature pain. (Increased Empathy.) Sadly, it doesn't seem very interested in making amends right now.

The seahorse glows briefly. "Crescere," it says.

You hear a rustling in the brambles near you. Suddenly, those brambles whip out to grab a hold of your arms, then your legs. You are yanked off your feet.

Sam yelps, and you turn to see the same thing has happened to your poor friend.

You strain against your bonds, but find yourself unable to move your hands to cast spells.

"I have observed the vivomancy you use to augment my brethren," the seahorse says. "I learned to draw that same power and use it on myself. The instinctual servitude that you have instilled in the dragons, I have bent to obey my will instead."

"Weren't you just talking about how subjugation is wrong?" you point out.

"It is a temporary measure," Texas Ranger Simba, the Lion King admits. "The docile nature you instilled in my brethren is hard to root out."

But then, you hear a strange cry echo through the forest, followed by the sound of hundreds of little wings flapping.

Suddenly, hundreds of horses come stampeding to your rescue! They must be the progeny of the pair of horses you freed here in the Mild Woods back when you were first experimenting with magic! Somewhere among them, the little horse you created must be leading the charge, but you really can't tell them apart.

You laugh. "It's good to see you!" you call out. "Your family seems to be doing well!"

The sea of blue-and-black creatures seems to wash over the forest underbrush like rising floodwaters. Some of them stop to nibble away your bonds, some eat away at Sam's bonds, and still others charge straight for the gigantic seahorse.

"Friends of yours?" Sam asks, nonplussed.

"You could say that, yes."

The enormous seahorse screeches in frustration. "Brothers, come!" it thunders. "Let us overthrow this magical despot once and for all!"

Two screeching dragons with reddish-bronze scales come flying over the tree line. Unlike their master, they seem incapable of speech. They dive toward you and Sam, one on each of you, and inhale deeply, preparing to breathe fire. The gargantuan seahorse likewise takes a deep breath.

Your horses all yip in fear and retreat back into the woods.

The dragons are too high in the air for your sword to do any good here.

You take a moment to consider your next action very carefully. Any unsuccessful spell here could result in your death.

1.Take out one dragon with a bolt of negation, leaving the other to Sam.
2.Take out both dragons with a negative-energy blast.
3.Cast a glamor and command both dragons to stop.
4.Just hide in the woods and let Sam deal with the dragons.
5.Animate my sword to fly through the air and fight the dragons.
6.Use vivomancy to animate the trees, and have them attack the dragons.

Spoiler: Stats (click to show/hide)
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: December 03, 2021, 07:38:39 pm »

Oh for fuck's sake.

Anyway. Let's start that Automation pivot, eh?
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: December 04, 2021, 01:39:20 am »

At least the horses still like us.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: December 04, 2021, 05:17:05 am »

I'd want to not use magic, but option 4 would be such a dick move, lol.

So, 5.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56