Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 56

Author Topic: [Suggestion game]Choice of Magics  (Read 28606 times)

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Re: [Suggestion game]Choice of Magics
« Reply #735 on: November 24, 2021, 01:43:59 pm »

No negation.

"No, it's not worth it," you say. "Negation magic created the Negative Sea. It created the death clouds that sweep through the eastern part of the kingdom, one of which recently scoured Akriton. It's not worth it. Even if we won, we'd cause irreparable harm." (Increased Caution.) (Increased Empathy.)

Blessed Advisor Sam breathes a sigh of relief. (Increased Sam Relationship.)

"I believe you," Queen Thecla says. "But I suspect we shall then have to be very clever indeed to win this war."

"That brings us to our strategy for the war," Queen Thecla says. "Again, you understand the magics better than anyone, Foo. What strategy do you think best suits them?"

Blessed Advisor Sam is unusually silent, perhaps realizing he is out of his depth.

Since you know the location of the Magisterian capital, you could try a direct push for it in one sudden march. But given your kingdom's current strength, that is unlikely to work out well for you.

1.Recommend a defensive strategy: never attack unless they come into our territory.
2.Suggest luring them into complacency with a weak initial defense, then cutting them off and surrounding them once they've overextended. (Requires calculation.)
3.Suggest a quick offensive to establish bases on their side of the Negative Sea, followed by negotiations from this position of strength.
4.Suggest a blitz to the capital before they realize our true strength. (Requires ancient history or known capital location.)

Spoiler: Stats (click to show/hide)
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: November 24, 2021, 01:51:28 pm »

As is expressed, we're not strong. We don't have the military power to just run rampant over the Magisterians, and they're prepared for war, so a blitz strategy isn't really something that'll be terribly effective.
Presenting a weak initial defense, meanwhile, feeds into what the Magisterians probably currently think about us, so they're likely to fall for the trick, and we can develop more and better means of Vivomancy- and Automation-based warfare in the meantime.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: November 24, 2021, 10:28:24 pm »

A trap.

"We can't expect to ramp up our military to rival theirs right away," you tell Queen Thecla. "So let us plan to lose at first. But we should make things easiest for them in a straight line, luring them into overextending. Then we cut them off from their supply lines and close in."

"I don't like playing games with my subjects' lives," the queen says. "But what you say makes sense. We must plan for losses at first and lull them into complacency. Then we will hit back hard."

After your public discussion of strategy, the queen invites you to her bedroom for a more private conversation.

It's not the first time she has invited you here, but she only does this for her most sensitive one-on-one conversations. Any romantic overtones are apparently lost on the queen.

The queen sits at her desk. She's wearing a white, ankle-length, high-necked, A-line gown that is fancy enough for a wedding, although she was wearing it at court as just another elaborate dress. Then again, it will turn out she has weddings on her mind after all.

"I've come to realize that with war upon us, the danger of assassination is greater than ever," the queen says. "And unfortunately, my current named heir was just assassinated."

You try to work out what the queen means, and you're surprised when you come to your conclusion. "General Talus was your heir?" Talus died in his sleep shortly before your scouting mission. Most thought the old man had died of natural causes, but apparently the queen knew better.

"I know, he was somewhat unremarkable," the queen says. "I picked him long ago. He was the most responsible person I knew. But his poisoning just goes to show that I can't put off my choice."

"So I'd like your advice. Who do you think should become heir?"

You're momentarily taken aback. "That's a rare privilege, choosing the heir."

"I trust your judgment."

You try thinking of the possibilities. You yourself come immediately to mind.

Then again, Sam has always seemed to have a kind heart, and he might help repair the rift with the Church.

Tal you'd trust with your life, but maybe not with the kingdom. You're not even sure she'd be interested.

1."I think I should be the heir."
2."I think Outrider Tal should be the heir."
3."I think Blessed Advisor Sam should be the heir."
4.Cast a divination to determine who would be best.

My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: November 24, 2021, 10:49:25 pm »

We are, as previously expressed, now very good at divination. Let's use that.

(Also, I'll admit it, buying all those divination resources instead of vivomancy or automation appears to have been the right choice.)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 11:23:11 pm by Glass »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: November 25, 2021, 03:37:06 am »

The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you池e done?

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: November 25, 2021, 10:49:45 am »

Divination.

"Let me cast a divination to learn who would be best," you say to the queen. She nods and makes a hand gesture to someone unseen. You suppose she is indicating to her hidden bodyguards that they should not fill you with arrows when you begin casting.

"Mysterion gnomai, revelabit kalyteros klironomos."

You receive a vision of Cos sitting on the throne of Eirinia. Laid out on tables before the throne are several maps with blocks and miniatures on them; you can tell he has tried to visualize the management of the kingdom as a gigantic board game. But in another vision, you see him touring a small town, not Akriton, and he knows not only the mayor's name, but those of the guildmasters, and the bakers, and the herbalists. He is a ruler who sweats all the little details, and he would be an excellent heir to the throne.

Your vision ends. (Gained Divination.)

1."I think I should be the heir."
2."I think Mayor Cos should be the heir."
3."I think Outrider Tal should be the heir."
4."I think Blessed Advisor Sam should be the heir."

My mods and forum games.

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: November 25, 2021, 11:49:05 am »

We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: November 25, 2021, 11:54:06 am »

Huh. I guess it might be because we have less than 50 relationship with him that he wasn't already an option?

I feel like we got penalized early on for not wanting to start a romantic relationship with him, and never got an opportunity to repair that relationship.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 12:05:00 pm by Glass »

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: November 25, 2021, 02:15:18 pm »

I feel like we got penalized early on for not wanting to start a romantic relationship with him, and never got an opportunity to repair that relationship.

Sort of the same feeling here. Haven't been really fond of the game trying to force romantic relationships and then giving a slap if you refuse them.

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: November 25, 2021, 05:52:22 pm »

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: November 26, 2021, 12:34:14 am »

Mayor Cos.

"Have you noticed that Mayor Cos is amazing at what he does?" you say. "You should strongly consider him. He could micromanage the kingdom better than anyone."

"He has always seemed quite talented," the queen agrees. "I think you're right. Mayor Cos shall be my heir. Thank you for the advice." (Increased Cos Relationship.)

You hope Cos appreciates the good turn you've done for him. You hope, for that matter, that he'll be willing to leave behind Akriton when the time comes. Maybe he'll just end up moving the capital to Akriton.

You wouldn't put it past him.

Before the first battles of the war begin, another way of helping with the war effort occurs to you. With your alchemy set, you could create a decoction that, if combined with the blood of dead allies, greatly increases the strength and stamina of the surviving forces. It seems natural to you to use the blood of the fallen in this way葉hey don't need it anymore. But others may be more irrational about this.

1.I don't want to risk alienating the soldiers with this tactic.
2.Distribute the decoction but let the soldiers think it's mere herbalism, not magic.
3.Personally extol the virtues of this decoction to every lieutenant in the force.

My mods and forum games.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: November 26, 2021, 01:37:29 am »

We have 7 charisma. I'm willing to bet on our ability to sway them. And it's better we're honest with them than they figure out we tricked them.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 56