Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Tips for designing a Fortress meant to last hundreds of years?  (Read 7201 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Tips for designing a Fortress meant to last hundreds of years?
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2022, 10:05:45 pm »

I came to the conclusion primarily by actually profiling the game and toggling temperature in real-time. Items aren't a major cause, it's all units, but items can cause some if they're moving around a bunch. Ones in stockpiles aren't going to do much, since their temperatures are sleeping.

Don't use animals, And if You really need eggs, Than lock them up in a 1x1 room.

If by "lock them up" you mean use tightly closed doors, never do this. It's the single biggest FPS drain in ordinary gameplay, by far. Like, dropping from 57 to 3 levels of bad.

☼Obsidian Short Sword☼

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA: Obsidian Sword
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2022, 10:53:39 am »

I totally forgot about Bug 797. Maybe draw-bridges then?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 08:47:09 pm by ☼Obsidian Short Sword☼ »
Still an active reader of the forums.

The 10,000 Dwarf Challenge

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2022, 08:41:29 pm »

Full of good info, thank you all. By the way, is there any way to preserve a corpse for a long period of time without it rotting? Obsidianizing or freezing in ice, maybe? One could make a fort where the dead are preserved in amber, as it were, waiting for the time when they are needed...

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2022, 10:10:49 pm »

I came to the conclusion primarily by actually profiling the game and toggling temperature in real-time. Items aren't a major cause, it's all units, but items can cause some if they're moving around a bunch. Ones in stockpiles aren't going to do much, since their temperatures are sleeping.

That makes sense, so it's the production / hauling / temperature equalizing, of all those items that's the driver of FPS hits, not merely their existence once they've been QSP'd away.  So with regard to a long term fort, if you make 500 years of food all right away, your FPS would dip during production, but then recover once the stash has been stocked, temperatures equalized, and farming / cooking suspended.  That food production / hauling calculation capacity would then be freed up for other megaprojects vs a continous, but smaller FPS drain that would occur due to minimal food production.

Full of good info, thank you all. By the way, is there any way to preserve a corpse for a long period of time without it rotting? Obsidianizing or freezing in ice, maybe? One could make a fort where the dead are preserved in amber, as it were, waiting for the time when they are needed...
Do the undead count as preserved corpses?  If so, certain biomes or secrets of life and death would do the trick.  Aside from that, Idk.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 10:13:02 pm by Schmaven »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2022, 09:09:27 pm »

Undead take FPS to exist. That's the energy they use to move. I was thinking of a way to store them in item form until they could be resurrected.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2022, 05:14:33 am »

Obsidianizing or freezing in ice, maybe?

Nope, they still rot.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2022, 03:43:23 pm »

Shame.

bool1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2022, 03:07:19 pm »

If you can capture an undead in a cage, it should be fine.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2022, 07:18:21 pm »

Intelligent undead don't need to be taken care of. You can literally lock them in a room for eternity and they'll never snap since they feel no emotions.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2022, 08:35:54 pm »

I was thinking about the lag that even a walled in intelligent undead would create. Imagine you have like, 200 preserved corpses and a necromancer. You pull a lever, the necromancer gets startled, and raises all your fallen dwarves to fight off some horrible catastrophe.

bool1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2022, 01:05:48 pm »

I was thinking about the lag that even a walled in intelligent undead would create. Imagine you have like, 200 preserved corpses and a necromancer. You pull a lever, the necromancer gets startled, and raises all your fallen dwarves to fight off some horrible catastrophe.

Well, if you strip them of clothing and put them in a 1x1 hole far away from any corpses, it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

What does this have to do with making a long running fortress?

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2022, 04:31:44 pm »

The tendency is for all stockpiles to increase over time, especially zombie stockpiles.  So, given enough time, any FPS cost would only be amplified.  A cage may help.  I would definitely not recommend a large wide pit for them to wander around in.  Effective as it is to turn invaders into more zombies by dropping them in, the FPS cost is too great before long.  Being able to keep them at a near 0 FPS state until needed would be better.  I would much rather deal with intermittent FPS slowing than a persistent drop.

bool1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2023, 03:59:11 pm »

Is pathfinding a major cause of FPS issues?

LuuBluum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2023, 03:59:50 pm »

Is pathfinding a major cause of FPS issues?
No.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2023, 08:00:32 pm »

I believe that pathfinding is still the biggest cause of FPS issues that regular player have a real affect on.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4