Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Tips for designing a Fortress meant to last hundreds of years?  (Read 7191 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
Re: Tips for designing a Fortress meant to last hundreds of years?
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2023, 08:15:30 pm »

I believe that pathfinding is still the biggest cause of FPS issues that regular player have a real affect on.
It's more total unit count than pathfinding. Even units in cages have vision cones that are constantly being checked against every other unit on the map.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2023, 08:31:51 pm »

If regular player have any way to affect the cost of vision cones calculation I am not aware of it.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 08:35:07 pm by jipehog »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2023, 08:37:21 pm »

Reduce the number of units on the map.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2023, 08:56:10 pm »

What about moving their cage to a small room / walling in the cage?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2023, 09:05:07 pm »

It's still going to check their vision cone against every other creature on the map. All that accomplishes is to turn that check from a "yes" to a "no".

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2023, 10:42:37 pm »

I believe that pathfinding is still the biggest cause of FPS issues that regular player have a real affect on.

You won't have much of an effect on it.

If regular player have any way to affect the cost of vision cones calculation I am not aware of it.

Units that are more than 55 or so distance apart will skip in the calculation completely, so keep your dwarves spread out in small pockets.

sniper_231996

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to make people happy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2023, 02:03:31 am »

I can only say, mirco-management is the key to a 25 pop cap survival. Traps and cave-in setups and upright spike traps are a suggestion. I wouldn't embark in an aquifer if I wanted to last 100 years as well... I'd go for a peaceful embark. Have my fortress open to visitors but no petitions accepted. Will try to engrave and write down the fort history in books and all. That's what I'd do. You have my good luck.
- Dungeon Lord Sniper

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2023, 05:42:46 am »

Units that are more than 55 or so distance apart will skip in the calculation completely, so keep your dwarves spread out in small pockets.
Interesting, are we talking LOS, path distance, or absolute distance on all z levels(i.e. should the main complex be built 55lvls bellow surface)?  This could be useful for designing my next siege "killbox" and "visitor area".

You won't have much of an effect on it.

Without resorting to gimping my gameplay or resorting to extreme measures of years past(when the game came out and I just had shitty laptop), in my experience this have had the most effect on my gameplay, particularly during siege scenarios in which I often employ various elaborate traps/bridges/doors, and designing a better fort is a fun mini-game ;)

Beside that most other measures I came to rely on in recent years were various stockpile management measures and the DFhack cleaning tools and automations like autobutcher to keep certain pops well in hand.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 05:46:54 am by jipehog »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]