Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Fishheads II - overseers needed for a good blood bath  (Read 6036 times)

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
Fishheads II - overseers needed for a good blood bath
« on: September 21, 2021, 06:03:24 am »

"Fishheads, fishheads, roly poly fishheads"
- Ancient Dwarven Battlesong

Queen Dastot Atticfang addressed her people from her throne which overlooked the great dininghall in the mountainhomes of Machinespatttered
"The world is dying. Beasts of magnificent size run rampant throughout the lands. The only holding that remains of our once great empire, The Copper Sling, are these mountainhomes. I seek seven volunteers to create a seaside fortress which will serve as a defensible bastion against the megafauna which run amok is this cursed world. I will be dangerous and you may meet a watery grave, but you can also live a hero."

Theyflower was an aspiring fisherdwarf and had always dreamed of seeing the ocean. This was their chance! They dropped their plump helmet roast onto the ground (where it would later rot and fill the entire dining hall with miasma for weeks until someone decided to pick it up) and waddled straight on over to the Queen and proclaimed their desire to lead such an expedition. After a short discussion they were told to round up an expedition party and embark at once.
Theyflower rounded up what few friends they had met at the metalsmith's guild along with a few dwarves who seemed too drunk to understand what they were agreeing too and headed out with some dogs and pigs.

This will be the spiritual successor to Fishheads. After a borked save it was decided to start a new world and for some reason it was agreed to use my small world with quadrupled numbers of megabeasts, titans, and semimegabeasts. The embark location is a good saltwater marsh bordering against an evil ocean.

Rules

1. Build infrastructure out over the water. Digging should be used sparingly, for quarrying stone and accessing magma, not for rooms.
2. Fish! The fishing industry should be our primary source of exports.
3. Turns should last two earth weeks or one dwarven year. If you take over the fort during summer, fall, or winter you can play until the beginning of the second spring if you wish.

Overseer List
If you want to be an overseer just ask in this thread.
Theyflower Done
BluarianKnight In progress

Dorfings
If you want to be dorf'd just ask in this thread.
Theyflower (Metruption) - Fishlord

Mods and Tilesets
I generated the world completely vanilla. We won't have the extras from that fish mod. The reason for this is twofold. Primarily, I forgot to add it before generating the world. Second, hopefully it will prevent the crashborked save.
If you want to use Tilesets please make sure every raws folder in the save gets preserved. Rename every raws folder to something descriptive of the tiles used in there and then copy one of them and install your preferred tiles there.

Spoiler: Worldgen info (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 01:52:58 pm by Metruption »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Fishheads II - Another Succession Fish Village
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2021, 08:15:08 am »

PTW - I only lurked on Fishheads, will enjoy reading more actively this time.

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2021, 08:22:27 am »

After every update post please put make sure to put the update posts through the wayback machine so that if the image host you use dies or bay12forums dies this adventure can be preserved.

archive links
spring 100 http://web.archive.org/web/20210921133447/http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=179032.msg8314500
summer and fall 100 http://web.archive.org/web/20210922143214/http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=179032.msg8314736
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 09:38:02 am by Metruption »

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2021, 08:23:10 am »

Spring of the first year is finished, going to wait a bit before going deeper into summer in the event that some people want to be dorf'd.

We've arrived! There's some nice trees with feathers, I've heard rumors that these logs are extra light so I'm going to save them for making barrels, bins, and other things we'll need to frequently carry around.

Some first orders of business were:
* Chop down the thick highwood trees
* Put all of the animals in pastures. Horses in the grass, pigs on the beach.
* Train most of the dogs to be war dogs
* Turn some of our thread into four ropes
* Dig straight down as far as we can go, I want a mineral survey completed.

Why four ropes? I want a pair of war dogs restrained right by the entrance to our soon-to-be-mighty fortress and the Doctor SWEARS that she needs two and I'm just going to trust her.

What's that red stuff falling from the sky...? Oh my god it's DWARF BLOOD!

Things are going terribly already. The doctor started barking some orders at the weaponsmith and armorsmith I managed to convince to join us about making soap. Doctor was going to butcher our horses for their fat and wanted them to burn a bunch of wood and make something called lye. It seemed like a good idea so I approved it and got back to my fishing.

Nine days after we arrived here the miners have found a cavern. I ordered them to keep digging if they could and gave orders for everyone else to wall in our stairway. There's no telling what sorts of nasties could be out there.

We found another cavern. I ordered the nearest mushroom to be chopped down and used for walls, unfortunately that second part didn't happen very quickly.

A nearby dark pit was founded. They sent a goblin messenger saying that they wished to be linked to us economically. I decided to say "Yes" for fear that the alternatives would lead to our destruction at their hands.

Just as this was going on a large rat had crawled up from the cavern and our dogs chased it off. There was blood everywhere but most if it was dwarven blood which fell from the sky.

We breached the third cavern shortly after. One of the miners mentioned there was a Giant Cave Spider hanging out in the second layer and I knew what needed to be done. Further digging would be temporarily halted and we would try and capture this magnificent beast. Thankfully we had not yet walled that section of the cavern in.

As we created mechanisms and cages aplenty the spider scampered off and some crundles were spotted in that cavern layer. I doubt they would have moved in if the spider were still around. We're going to wall that in for now.

image walls

I had the miners keep digging, while that was going on we finally made soap.

It was almost summer and high time we begin construction of the Ocean Fortress proper. Some of the ocean didn't have bits of... clotted dwarven blood floating on it and I had a series of ramps made so that we could create some sort of basic platform. We had the beginnings of a stone dock by the beginning of summer. I'm going to make sure rock blocks are being made for the rest of the year so that we can have something worth defending by winter.

image basic dock
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 08:34:15 am by Metruption »

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2021, 10:45:22 am »

PTW ! For now at least. :D
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2021, 11:56:07 am »

Gib dwarf pls

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2021, 12:04:28 pm »

Gib dwarf pls
You can be one of the metalcrafters who won't get to do any metalcrafting

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2021, 01:33:42 pm »

PTW - enjoyed Fisheads and will enjoy this sequel :)
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2021, 03:06:42 am »

PTW also I want a dwarf.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2021, 06:45:16 am »

PTW also I want a dwarf.
another metalcrafter in this embark without weapons grade metal

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2021, 09:25:51 am »

Summer 100

The miners finished that cavern bypass and found a sea of magma and were able to dowse the location of some adamantine. There wasn't much else for them to do so I had them dig an exploratory tunnel in search of it.

Some migrants arrived, among them is a dwarf who is adept at refining adamantine into strands. I will ensure to keep the presence of adamantine at this location a secret. Only the miners, this dwarf, and myself will know.
After some careful excavation we've found the beautiful candy blue metal lurking just above the magma sea mixed in with some gold. I'm going to create a small stockpile of it to be unleashed when we need it most.

One of the masons told me there was a magma crab in the tunnels and that she couldn't get more rock and that one of the miners had just burned to death. So I said congratulations, you're now a miner. Eventually that crab crawled back into the magma sea and we managed to seal it in there.

The miner who died to my own carelessness was entombed under the dock where the waves will forever wash over their coffin.

I had a quiver, crossbow, and some bone bolts made for the hunter. So far she hasn't killed anything yet but it looks like her aim keeps getting better.
With that, fall has begun and we've barely even created a stone dock.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 09:29:02 am by Metruption »

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2021, 09:26:34 am »

Fall 100

The doctor demanded we make a well of clean water so I had a little area dug out and a pump constructed to clean the water and hold enough of it to keep 'em happy. Before we were done with that a caravan from the Mountainhome arrived and then fucked right off because we didn't make a trade depot. Hopefully we can get one built in time to trade some of the rock crafts that I've had one of the dwarves working on. We don't have much else of value other than the adamantine which should remain a closely guarded secret.

They want to make this dwarf blood soaked excuse for a fortress something more, who are we to decline?

I know just who the baron should be...

They asked what they should bring to trade next year. I asked for some leather, cloth, bronze bars, steel bars, things made of metal (to melt down, don't tell them), animals with a strong preference towards sheep, llamas, and alpaca, food, and drink. There's no telling what we'll need next year so I'm making sure that most things we might have trouble getting more of will be in good supply to import.
They also talked about wanting to import some stuff:

While I went over that stuff with the liaison some merchats set up shop in the trade depot and I ordered some of our nicer cages and barrels that weren't in use to be traded along with that dead miner's clothes and all of the rock crafts we've made since midsummer.

The first trade we managed to get a few things made from bronze that we can melt down, although we probably will just keep and use the battle axe.

Part of the gatehouse wasn't properly secured to anything and just hung off the bridge and fell over, thankfully nobody was seriously injured.

The merchants were about to depart and we managed to do some last minute trading to obtain a steel short sword and some steel anvils. That puts at a count of three decent weapons. I'm going to have the leatherworker and bone carver thee sets of leather and bone armor with matching shields from the carpenters so that we will at the very least have some kind of barebones military.

Three migrants arrived as we finished construction of the well, another doctor, a blacksmith who could make some nice gold furniture. Well, that would be nice if we had anywhere to put it but right now we barely have a gatehouse. I'm going to make sure there's at least a front to this place by the end of the year. There's even a roof over it so dwarf blood doesn't fall in from the sky and contaminate it.

I had two extra mason's workshops made to pump out more blocks. The little crafting village is getting a bit out of hand.

I was so focused on making sure we got the gatehouse built that we ran out of booze! Fixing that NOW!

Winter is finally upon us and the first floor of the archery towers is finally complete, now to make the second floor and build out the gatehouse proper. It seems blood still falls from the sky over here, perhaps this ocean is cursed.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 09:31:21 am by Metruption »

BluarianKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • Gimme a soul, sailor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2021, 05:57:25 am »

Put me on the overseer list.
A beautiful lesbian trans lass, I'll punch ya dork.

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2021, 02:05:02 pm »

Maximum Spin fell into a depression, was muttering something about the bloody rain.

The pond froze over before I could get the well filled up, drat!

The dwarves want to help Maximum Spin not die of dehydration, but the lack of a functional well means there's no water to fill our buckets with. An ocean with no water to drink! Even still, the morale isn't great. I'm going to make a dining hall for them underground so that they can get a bit more time out of the... dwarven blood rain. It's not much but at least dwarf blood isn't falling from the sky. By Armok, it's snowing frozen dwarf blood!

Maximum Spin is now throwing a tantrum. What's he doing by the crafting village? Oh no! Not the still, mechanic's workshop, and craftsdwarf workshop. Now the giant mess over there is an even bigger mess!

The gatehouse is fully built! I filled it with beds to serve as a makeshift dormitory.

Also, a walled off tube to the seafloor has been constructed now that the ocean froze over. Hopefully this will be useful someday.

Morale is seriously down. One of the leatherworkers is stumbling around obliviously and I hear them whispering of mutiny as I approach. Something about "no more soap because the Lye's all frozen". The first day of spring is tomorrow so hopeu- why are they running at me holding a bag?

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2021, 02:09:51 pm »

Save is up!
https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15677
notes:
I turned off auto loom.
Will automatically make booze if there's ingredients and we have under 600 booze and the right workshops.
Will automatically make soap from tallow if there's ingredients.
Will automatically make lye if there's ingredients and we don't have too much lye.
Will automatically make ash if there's ingredients and we don't have too much ash.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 03:50:15 pm by Metruption »
Pages: [1] 2 3