Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: UI updates - include something like DFHack's Planning Mode functionality  (Read 2279 times)

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

From the subreddit about furniture placement on the new desert fort video on steam news.

I really hope by the end we have something like Planning Mode in DF Hack. So you don't have to click 'Door', click a place, click which door to use, then repeat for every placement. Clicking a type of construction should allow the user to place as many as they want without re-clicking it for every time, as they do in this video with doors and beds. Even better if I don't have to choose which door at all, or have one created yet to make a placement.

Being able to place multiple pieces of furniture without clicking the 'door' or 'bed' for each one is really a pretty basic UI improvement. If dfhack can pull off planning mode then it should not be very difficult to incorporate it into the real game. And just like dfhack's planning mode it can be toggle-able, nobody wants to remove player choice. When I play it's a minority of the time that I actually care which piece of furniture I want to use in a specific location.

Before someone says it's not needed because we have dfhack- I disagree that having a hack is a valid reason for not making basic UI improvements the base game. It opens up too many possible problems and it makes a game dependent on volunteers continuing to volunteer their time forever to improve a game with an infinite dev cycle. If dfhack can do this then a native solution would perform better and not need to be updated by fans for every new release version.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: UI updates - include something like DFHack's Planning Mode functionality
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2021, 01:30:27 pm »

The one thing I hate when setting up bedrooms is having to shift-+ through the list in order to avoid accidentally placing a bag instead of a coffer…
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2021, 07:09:23 pm »

Oh, I suppose if you aren't familiar with Planning Mode. It is toggled on and off in the constructions menu, when on it allows you to place as many of that type of item (say doors) as you want without choosing a specific door and the dwarves will just put whatever is around in that place. Since you don't need to pick a specific object to place you can place as many doors in the fort as you want and then as your workshops create doors they will be put in place.

While in planning mode you can still be more specific than just doors too, so you can say you only want to place masterwork granite doors and plop those wherever you want as well and whenever a masterwork granite door is created they will put it in place.

The one thing I hate when setting up bedrooms is having to shift-+ through the list in order to avoid accidentally placing a bag instead of a coffer…

Yeah that's annoying, I get around that in planning mode by setting the material to only wood or stone containers.

DwarfStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2021, 10:10:29 pm »

+1

Placing objects using planning mode also works around the problem that furniture becomes unavailable to place while being hauled from the workshop to a stockpile. Once the door makes it to the stockpile, the furniture hauling task to install it will become queued.