Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Werebeast Infection Syndrome?  (Read 1057 times)

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Werebeast Infection Syndrome?
« on: September 25, 2021, 02:24:24 pm »

I was just pondering how Werebeast infections were transmitted.  Is it specifically a check for whether the victim's skin is broken by a bite, or is it modelled as a bite-transmitted syndrome?  Is were-beast saliva a contaminant in a bite wound that causes the infection, or is the syndrome/contaminant model ignored entirely for the transmission of werebeast infections?

Does anybody know the precise mechanism by which a bite transmits a werebeast infection?
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
Re: Werebeast Infection Syndrome?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2021, 03:06:29 pm »

I was just pondering how Werebeast infections were transmitted.  Is it specifically a check for whether the victim's skin is broken by a bite, or is it modelled as a bite-transmitted syndrome?  Is were-beast saliva a contaminant in a bite wound that causes the infection, or is the syndrome/contaminant model ignored entirely for the transmission of werebeast infections?

Does anybody know the precise mechanism by which a bite transmits a werebeast infection?
Spoiler: Sample WB bite attack (click to show/hide)

The answer is both of the first two. If the attack (in this case, a bite) will break the skin, the interaction linked to it by [SPECIALATTACK_INTERACTION] will be performed upon the target before the attack itself physically connects. If the attack doesn't break the skin, the interaction isn't triggered.

The interaction itself then adds a syndrome to the victim, causing them to transform into a werebeast some time after being bitten and then on every full moon afterwards.
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2021, 05:28:23 pm »

Spoiler: Sample WB bite attack (click to show/hide)

The answer is both of the first two. If the attack (in this case, a bite) will break the skin, the interaction linked to it by [SPECIALATTACK_INTERACTION] will be performed upon the target before the attack itself physically connects. If the attack doesn't break the skin, the interaction isn't triggered.

The interaction itself then adds a syndrome to the victim, causing them to transform into a werebeast some time after being bitten and then on every full moon afterwards.

Very interesting!  Thanks for the high quality reply, Quantum Drop.

So it's sort of like a snake-bite, but instead of a poison, it's a werebeast curse?  (but with the strange caveat that the syndrome is applied before the resulting wound is created?)
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2021, 08:40:12 pm »

If werebeasts could spit - rather than...you know...ripping you limb from limb - it should logically pass the virus on (at least if it hits a wound and gets in your blood). Of course, that's not how it works, a QD pointed out.

Still - could be cool in the future. Werewolf slobber suddenly becomes a real threat like a Forgotten Beast's dust.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2021, 06:01:04 am »

Very interesting!  Thanks for the high quality reply, Quantum Drop.

So it's sort of like a snake-bite, but instead of a poison, it's a werebeast curse?  (but with the strange caveat that the syndrome is applied before the resulting wound is created?)
That would be the simplest way of putting it, yes.
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly fails to become elephant man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2021, 05:19:46 am »

You can become a werebeast only by being bitten by one or angering gods with divination dice and being cursed to assume a form during full moon. Both ways are guaranteed and your disease resistance doesn't matter. Getting clawed or touching a werebeast won't cause infection at all.

If you got cursed or infected during a full moon you won't transform that full moon.

You cannot become a werebeast if you are a vampire.

Being a werebeast grants you biological immortality (removing [MAXAGE] token) while also locking you out permanently from using divination dice for RNG effects.

You won't gain immunity to any diseases by becoming a werebeast but you won't become a vampire.

There is no cure to being a werebeast regardles of how you got infected/cursed.

One massive positive side effect of this condition is healing all your wounds and even restoring lost limbs the very first moment of transformation. All received diseases are also removed. This also works the second way, that is turning back to your original self again.

NPC werebeasts are guaranteed to have level 6 (talented) combat skills in everything and level 15 (legendary) sneaking. The player seems not to receive those bonuses. Any werebeast, even player are immune to pain but only when transformed, otherwise start adventure as a specie who cannot feel pain.

Your attributes both mental and physical are altered in your new form, can be trained normally and don't reset upon becoming a werebeast again. Your attributes of original form remain safe as well.

You are transformed instantly when the game decides to change your form. You remain transformed for way longer than night lasts. You will detransform on next night once moon will no longer be full.
Does anybody know how to become an elephant man in adventure mode? I literally did all advanced world settings possible to increase chances.