Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Path of Lichdom  (Read 4110 times)

Amaranth

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Dodger
    • View Profile
The Path of Lichdom
« on: September 27, 2021, 12:17:46 pm »

Many years past of seeing necromancers ruin worlds plenty more than that in adventures and all just obliterated over, over again.
Anyway it made me think about my mortality.
It's not much, you guys for sure must have been playing around with it.
How far can we go?
Being enslaved and tortured by a tribe of elephantmen (all role-played in advmode) training till you're bored then becoming a vampire then necromancer, train thrall to carry slab freeze him in very cold lake, revive as a death stalker and kill myself and be revived to then chase the rest of the worlds slabs secrets attempting to reduce a PC down to a walking skeleton of hate possible? With all the intelligent undead gesture magic and the ability to redead yourself I'm stumbling into that idea that perhaps I could be just a torso and one arm and a head and be a functional spellcasting lich.
Then bringing them into a civ to become a citizen preferably king, queen.
Finally controlling them in fortress mode and probably they die to some minor trivial thing like a fell mood and become little jimmys new cot and about one hundred crashes and backup saves.
If it's been done trust me I'm not using the search function.

Also can the raws be modified to allow adventurers to use soap to clean themselves if not others?
This all started cause I got an infectious disease in my head skin and it made me realize how cool the doctor background is.

Amaranth

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Dodger
    • View Profile
Re: The Path of Lichdom
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2021, 09:29:06 am »

Got two slabs and one slade is from a human god of death depicted as a skeleton that raises night stalkers that blister and vanish and the other is slate from somewhere I've not legends it yet and that raises cold butchers that rot a mans gut just by pointing at it.
Now finally I've tested multiple saves and such and the most recent one i got my main lich the second slab revive after two freezing deaths and on the second revive I was walking away pretty chuffed and black screen as i believe i exited the chunk and said i was dead. I didn't have a backup save of that recent so i scummed back and didn't get to find out what did it.
Now im thinking it could be a bug or maybe something about the infection in his head or something else.
But then again I don't know why an undead would die to infection.
Next time I will have a backup thrall to see what happens if anything at all causes it again.
Theres a few slabs in this world. A few in legends say they have gone missing. Is this impossible to find the ones that read like this in legends????

Edit: both times I revived the character he disappeared but was still alive in history so was able to be picked as an adventure.
The first time it happened I save scummed but its fine to retire

Edit2: they lose control after reviving due to loss of civilization identity and they go off to petition one. This is easily remedied if you set up a lady and hearth person to reinstate your civ position before offloading any data.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 09:47:16 pm by Amaranth »

Amaranth

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Dodger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2021, 07:56:49 pm »

It seems all player characters retire themselves mid adventure in the cleanup process even they are the main character with the main difference of them being dead. So always have a watching character to register the retirement or reanimate in fortress mode to prevent character loss.
I believe they can still die in history but it could be rare due to undeath and the powers they posses. Don't quote me on how history works post gen, I'm slowly getting there.

6 slabs are now in my claimed built hall zone on pedestals that allows the slab to persist post retirement and unloading of settlements and that's great because I could never keep them before.
Long term plans are to lock a vampire or something immortal in a fortress and run it for years to see if my PC makes experiments or an undead army.

Amaranth

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Dodger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2021, 09:36:41 am »

Many journeys have been made. Pointless to recite to you.
You can freeze to death and be revived as intelligent undead.
You can take dead adventurers and spouses to necromancer towers and have them revived as intelligent undead.
You can retire/starve an adventurer and they can be revived as intelligent undead and played later as history passes though this did happen on the turn of the season if that is of note.
Next test will be how decayed they can be. I feel like it depends on if they are historical and still intact though the perimeters for resurrection for intelligent undead seem wider than a simple animated corpse puppet.
I will also try to test on the side how long it takes for someone to die of gut rot.

Amaranth

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Dodger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2021, 07:16:02 pm »

Interesting bugs have been reviving murdered people to have them be replaced with an identical copy and the scattered butchered named remains to persist at their feet and them being ignorant of any of it. It was remedied with a severed head.
An elf adventurer who was revived twice in post history is unplayable because they are in flight and any action taken by them causes time to pass on by without my interactions effecting the character. I've left them available as a test to see if they can be used as a time passing device or just crash the game.
Anyway
Intelligent undead are fragile. Sometimes an injury you'd think able to shrug off but your negative energy agreement is flimsy and it sends your soul free. Be sure a friendly necromancer thrall is nearby to catch that soul and trap it once more in your lifeless corpse. The last resort is becoming skin. It's not pleasant sure but if the remains can be butchered then there's a chance you can be trapped in your skin again. Perfect torture for your enemies.
Finally we will build coffins for my future experiments. Bury them in an underground fort graveyard kinda deal and kill off the builders and intern them to be animate corpses slaves if ever needed.
Return in a few years and dig it up seeing if i can return people as skeletons and play as them.

Amaranth

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Dodger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2021, 03:36:06 am »

I awoke from a slumber of three years. My body had not become useless as I was guarded by my human thrall 'Rot' his guts have been rotten these last three years yet his devotion holds him together. Outside our door was a human hammerman. I could sense his blood outside the building walls. He greets me perfectly blessing me with the hate of shasost god of lies. I thank him and allow his life.
Two more people seem to live around here too. Two dwarves hammer and a mace dwarf. They are not hostile and know me as lord yet don't care.
I shall allow them to reside here. I believe they are just other adventurers hoping my inn begins to sell food and drink.
I fear my skeletonizing will result in my body being unable to ne revived.
I will test by drowning a fresh meat adventurer and wait till they are a skeleton and try revive them. I've tried with random humans i have killed but they have always been mangled or partial skeletons. I have revived full skeletons from tombs before but that's probably able so the mummy lord can revive them.

Amaranth

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Dodger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2021, 06:52:29 pm »

Beyond my control Stredac seemingly does nothing. Just sits in his house he built feeling nothing. That is expected as he is undead and probably content being a lord of pebbles.
I could leave him in the background waiting to see if he does anything notable but he did nothing for three years.
When he was alive a necromancer he revived corpses to my dismay in a span of three weeks just fish corpses and my previous expedition crew that died to the fish then the zombie expedition crew was killed and butchered before I sent the next one.
It was planned to lead into a vampire necromancer human fort, it led to traumatized civilians living in a little wooden tower.
The plan is to get a human fort going good maybe population 200+ have them a few vampire wells in limbo then segregation of the readers and non into their labor categories. Full infection attempt and them reading of all or most of the world slabs. Hypothetically making them immune to the normal undead so they would possibly only create uneasy citizens like seeing dead bodies, any intelligent undead from sieges or revived by the fortress necromancers could be mitigated by having only vampire squads to deal with the siege and they could do so pretty well i would assume.
In the short years to run I would attempt to put an adventurer from this vampire necromancer fortress as the baron then (i don't know how this part works so as always don't quote me) reel in my civ and become king probably through hostile takeover if that's possible if not adventurer assassin's to kill the kings staff and heirs and possibly lineage.
Then become the king.
Whatever happens it will be anticlimactic.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2021, 03:53:28 pm »

Playing as a sheef of intelligent skin sounds like the best and worst idea possible

Amaranth

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Dodger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2021, 08:46:57 pm »

You have no grasp, no sight and are easily one shot I think you can talk I'm not sure though. If it's intelligent undead you cant use your gesture powers which I think it has to be int undead unless its a reanimation biome type deal.
The propel power is good for fending off invisible int undead and with the vampire sight you can see them as a bloodspot even as they are hidden. The rotten powers will be game ending if the organ system ever comes online at the moment its as pointless as blisters as it causes no pain and it is random on what organ it selects. Sure if you had brain, lung, heart, eyes or something that is used im sure its like a touch death spell.
Suffocating is strange, perhaps stats effect how long your under the spells influence because some people have died to it but only when they are asleep and some people lose the winded status before i can cast again (50ish ticks) while some don't.
It's more like a debuff. Something to slow the enemies so your next hits hurt more and often.
I believe the skeletons dont revive due to tendon rot perhaps. Like theres nothing holding the body together anymore so it doesn't revive just bones.
Pretty disappointing we cant be skeletons yet but I'll see and report what can be done.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2021, 09:16:19 am »

You're doing Armok's work with this kind of science. Looks like skin flap runs are out of the question unless you add a [flier] tag and roleplay as a malevolent kite

Amaranth

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Dodger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2021, 05:48:38 am »

Praise suicide.
I watched over the sinister lake as cursed fog roiled towards the shore and I decided the ritual of loyalty to death and undeath. This is not Lichdom, yet, this is just servitude. Pilgrims must travel to a scar in the world and perfect themselves before returning to the lord who then lights the fires and waters of cleansing and suicide. Removing all present pains. This step often kills the participants. They become int dead and are considered lost as perfection. If they survive the cleaning they are given rest and a deep drink of cursed blood, sealing them as a blight upon the world, they are then to be considered to quest and bring back knowledge. Specifically knowledge of life and death, then they can become a necromancer on their own merits.
Then the quest for a husking material if possible and freezing to death multiple times to avoid unnecessary body damage and gain the powers hidden in death.
I have still yet built a deamination/reanimation chamber as the knowledge of such alludes me.

You can bring a body to a mummy lord and have them pass on the benefits of the undeath powers and you continue controlling your character though the secret this draws from and it's benefits aren't known to me.

This is enough for now. I must die once more and be laid to rest.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2021, 08:10:25 am »

The one flaw in your plan of making a fortress of multi-necros is that dwarves won't read slabs. However, if you run around with an adventurer, you should be able to find books on the secrets in the towers of the necromancers that you stole the slabs from. Barring that, with the right materials, an adventurer who knows a secret can write a book containing it by choosing the "guide" option when writing a book.