Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: DR4X : A Coffee break 4x with a touch a roguelike!  (Read 13120 times)

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
DR4X : A Coffee break 4x with a touch a roguelike!
« on: September 27, 2021, 01:45:59 pm »

Hey guys! You may know about me from being active on the forum for years. Or from my Roguelike Roguelegends: Dark realms! But I have been working on a new game with really detailed map generation!

It is now wishlistable on steam, maybe check it out and wishlist if you can?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1704830/DR4X/

« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 12:52:37 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: DR4X : My dark fantasy turn based strategy game with horror elements!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2021, 09:21:40 pm »

Just posting to say this looks v interessante--im checkin it out on Steam
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2021, 12:19:11 am »

game when
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2021, 12:30:19 pm »

It will be buyable on the day listed on the steam page, than it will be in EA for about a year, maybe longer.
I am an indie game dev!

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
I am an indie game dev!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2022, 03:45:35 pm »

Does it come with a free steam key when it unlocks on steam?

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2022, 03:15:45 pm »

No they are seperate. But you can get a steam key by supporting me on patreon for 5 a month. Which is a deal heh
I am an indie game dev!

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2022, 03:41:23 pm »

DR4X Launches on steam tomorrow!
I am an indie game dev!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2022, 07:43:44 pm »

So I got my copy, but I haven't had much chance to play it.

Might be worth moving this topic to Other Games. That is where other games are posted. But perhaps your happy to have this area more or less to yourself.

EDIT: Fiddling around for a bit.
I had one game playing as Cult where my goal was to destroy the Republic.  I was doing well, but part of the Republic spawned isolated by water and mountains from everyone else.  I can get to them eventually, but I won't have the assistance of the other Frenemy factions to "help".

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2022, 11:57:33 pm »

Some thoughts:
It delivers what it promises, but for whatever reason I expected "more".  Lots of stuff to do, but seems to lack depth in places.
An explanation of the stats and stuff would help.  I'm kinda unsure on those things.
Not bad for $10 though.  Enough different ways to play that it should keep me busy for a while.

I had once gotten the option to play as the Red Empire, I think.  But it disappeared, and I could never get it back.
The player in several scenarios/factions is a small invader attacking a large Empire (or whatever is left of it).  Hence the AI's reported win rate.
However, in most scenarios the Empire isn't very aggressive.  In some it just sits there and gets gobbled up.  Then the player tends to lose to another faction that just "grew quicker".

The custom win condition is fun, although I found 10000 Gold or 10000 Menace to be too much with the current development progress.  Not enough options to build tall and wait, I think.  Best option is probably just to spam whatever is the basic base for most factions until income = victory in ~10 turns, then hit that Next Turn button.  Expansion is good, but some faction bases are hidden, so whatever you take you should be prepared to lose if you're just going to wait to win.
And frankly, I think on most maps the player is likely to win/lose before the resource fills up to the required level.  The game has a sort of eat or be eaten feel to it.

What would be nice is diplomacy.  Customizing what factions are allied with the player could be great fun and add variety.  Maybe the Government accepts the player's cult.  Maybe the Ratfolk and Goblins are content to divide the world between themselves. So on and so forth.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2022, 08:36:13 pm »

Some thoughts:
It delivers what it promises, but for whatever reason I expected "more".  Lots of stuff to do, but seems to lack depth in places.
An explanation of the stats and stuff would help.  I'm kinda unsure on those things.
Not bad for $10 though.  Enough different ways to play that it should keep me busy for a while.

I had once gotten the option to play as the Red Empire, I think.  But it disappeared, and I could never get it back.
The player in several scenarios/factions is a small invader attacking a large Empire (or whatever is left of it).  Hence the AI's reported win rate.
However, in most scenarios the Empire isn't very aggressive.  In some it just sits there and gets gobbled up.  Then the player tends to lose to another faction that just "grew quicker".

The custom win condition is fun, although I found 10000 Gold or 10000 Menace to be too much with the current development progress.  Not enough options to build tall and wait, I think.  Best option is probably just to spam whatever is the basic base for most factions until income = victory in ~10 turns, then hit that Next Turn button.  Expansion is good, but some faction bases are hidden, so whatever you take you should be prepared to lose if you're just going to wait to win.
And frankly, I think on most maps the player is likely to win/lose before the resource fills up to the required level.  The game has a sort of eat or be eaten feel to it.

What would be nice is diplomacy.  Customizing what factions are allied with the player could be great fun and add variety.  Maybe the Government accepts the player's cult.  Maybe the Ratfolk and Goblins are content to divide the world between themselves. So on and so forth.
Oh wow! Thanks for the feedback! I never expected anyone to reply to this thread :P
Victory in 10 turns. Nice! It is menat to be fast but i was going for about 30 turns I will of course keep adding new content and depth, it is in early access and I have some plans ;P
« Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 08:38:33 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2022, 10:50:28 pm »

10 turns was a small map with the victory hex win condition. It might have been a few more, but that win was quick.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2022, 02:24:48 pm »

DR4X is on sale for 33% off for the next week!
If you are at all intrigued and havent bought it yet now is a great time!

Also the itch version now comes with a steam key!
I am an indie game dev!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2022, 02:30:55 pm »

Coincides well with the New Win Condition of Surviving the Dark Powers for 30 turns.

Why yes, this DOES mean you can play as a lowly bandit camp, gremlin hive, rat sewer, or even general wildlife trying to outlive the End of the World!

I also made a promo page in General Games section just in case people are only looking for new games in that section.

You get more prominence placing your store in a small rural village, but more customers if you also put a store in the big city.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2022, 02:33:54 pm »

Coincides well with the New Win Condition of Surviving the Dark Powers for 30 turns.

Why yes, this DOES mean you can play as a lowly bandit camp, gremlin hive, rat sewer, or even general wildlife trying to outlive the End of the World!
Indeed it does.
I am an indie game dev!
Pages: [1] 2 3