Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 33

Author Topic: The Halcyon Crown - Chapter Two: ProtoKen System  (Read 37369 times)

S1lentWanderer

• Bay Watcher
  • S1lently Wandering
    • View Profile
Re: The Halcyon Crown
« Reply #300 on: February 01, 2023, 01:26:48 pm »

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Feel the power beneath your feet.
It thrums with the force of a captured star.
Take the risk, little king
Stretch yourself. Only storms turn fish into dragons.

You are pursued by the Blighted Glass,
and you must outrun her.
Seize the power beneath you.
It will be difficult, but with the time you gain
you will save countless lives.
You are the scion of Humanity's First Children.
And there is nothing more Human than taking risk
in pursuit of a great reward.
Nothing more Human than defending the innocent
even at great risk to the self.

Draw out the captured sun,
Force it to speed your way
Command it to keep your new allies safe.
Claim for yourself the powers of your birth.

I must be honest. This is a dangerous move.
Should you fail, your friend will die,
And you will be cast through the void at unimaginable velocities.
It would be foolish to not consider that chance.
However, do not allow fear to be your only thought.
Master the fear. Let it galvanize you to action.
Worry not about the consequences for failure
But instead focus on the value of success.
Success means you outpace your mother,
arriving with time to warn the planet of the coming danger.
You will save billions, at the risk of seven.
Weigh the risk in your mind, little king.
It is ultimately your decision.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: February 01, 2023, 11:07:39 pm »

This is a difficult decision... but I believe in Basil. C.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: February 01, 2023, 11:25:14 pm »

Yes, to the modification, and yes again, with the priority being life support within the cryopod bay and continued repair of the cryopods, to answer the question.

Projected time cost for a redesign and rebuild? Estimated travel time for options B and D if we do so en route?

The antimatter vent may prove our best bet, but I want an exhaustive study of our other options before we consider risking everything. If you need more time to calculate, spend it. Days are cheap in the Void.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: February 02, 2023, 12:31:53 am »

Do remember we did send out a distress beacon so it is possible we get picked up way earlier than the theoretical time if we are lucky.

Edit: Wait hang on a second why the hell don't we just use Twitchy to ping for nearby ships and try to hitch a ride like we did last time we don't gotta tie ourselves down to this scrapheap afterall nor do we got to wait for someone to come to us pretty sure the ship can still move somewhat and even if the other ships are faster than us we can still use our b i g b r a i n to make a interjecting path.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 12:47:32 am by Fluffe9911 »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: February 02, 2023, 02:43:34 am »

We should save the risky option as a last resort, but besides the electronics there have to be other bits of the ship we could use for our project like unimportant rooms, structures, and what's left of the old engines.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: February 02, 2023, 02:52:08 am »

If we want to limit our risk with option C, we could try venting and detonating less than all of the available fuel at once. It will take longer to reach our destination, but it would also be easier to contain a smaller explosion, or even a series of smaller explosions.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 02:53:45 am by ZBridges »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: February 02, 2023, 05:23:16 am »

If we want to limit our risk with option C, we could try venting and detonating less than all of the available fuel at once. It will take longer to reach our destination, but it would also be easier to contain a smaller explosion, or even a series of smaller explosions.
Maybe we could use some unimportant metal to make some shielding to make this even safer for our people.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: February 02, 2023, 07:45:00 am »

Maybe we could use some unimportant metal to make some shielding to make this even safer for our people.
I think you just designed an engine. Please note, you would not be able to control the vessel after it reaches the system, or slow down without another designed system.

Do remember we did send out a distress beacon so it is possible we get picked up way earlier than the theoretical time if we are lucky.

Edit: Wait hang on a second why the hell don't we just use Twitchy to ping for nearby ships and try to hitch a ride like we did last time we don't gotta tie ourselves down to this scrapheap afterall nor do we got to wait for someone to come to us pretty sure the ship can still move somewhat and even if the other ships are faster than us we can still use our b i g b r a i n to make a interjecting path.
Twitchy responds with P̴i̶n̶g̴_̸E̶r̵r̶o̴r̶:̶̶D̸i̷s̵c̷o̷n̸n̸e̶c̸t̸e̶d̵. It seems that it is only able to scan on the Blighted Glass, using the internal network there.

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: February 02, 2023, 12:13:09 pm »

Twitchy responds with P̴i̶n̶g̴_̸E̶r̵r̶o̴r̶:̶̶D̸i̷s̵c̷o̷n̸n̸e̶c̸t̸e̶d̵. It seems that it is only able to scan on the Blighted Glass, using the internal network there.
Ah oh well worth a shot.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: February 03, 2023, 01:13:15 am »

None of the choices are great. If time wasn't an issue, I would probably choose B. I'm having second thoughts about C, considering we wouldn't have fuel to stop or slow ourselves. Unless we used half the fuel to start, and then half of it to stop.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 02:13:33 am by ZBridges »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: February 03, 2023, 05:13:42 am »

I just thought of something, since the bridge was destroyed do we have a way to find out where we are and where we're heading right now?

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: February 03, 2023, 08:03:55 am »

[Error]

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: February 04, 2023, 02:27:14 am »

That doesn't seem good, we should probably figure out where we are and where we're heading before we try anything else.

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: February 04, 2023, 07:36:48 pm »

I just thought of something, since the bridge was destroyed do we have a way to find out where we are and where we're heading right now?
Navigation is unresponsive, its artificial intelligence unresponsive. Basil examines the drives and cores, delving into the code of the ship to investigate the navigational data. There's only the record of where the ship was pointing, and its last known speed. The artificial intelligence is ruined by physical damages, its system a supernova of error codes and system interrupts. Basil looks out over the stars, and, the ship probably hasn't been jostled too much off its vector. Maybe.

Yes, to the modification, and yes again, with the priority being life support within the cryopod bay and continued repair of the cryopods, to answer the question.

Projected time cost for a redesign and rebuild? Estimated travel time for options B and D if we do so en route?

The antimatter vent may prove our best bet, but I want an exhaustive study of our other options before we consider risking everything. If you need more time to calculate, spend it. Days are cheap in the Void.
Basil pins down the exact time frames required by plan D.

One hundred years for redesign of the reactor and creation of small engines that feed off the surplus energy of the reactor. Sixty more after that for production of the vital elements through fusion of hydrogen and iron, a rapid cycling that would take millennia naturally only taking a couple of decades. After that, twenty or thirty for construction of larger engines. The max speed of the engines would be roughly 35c. Not as efficient as the originals, but fully controllable. At that point, it would probably take eight years to reach the target system. But, being awake and synthesizing required elements, Basil could bring survivability of crew to eighty or ninety percent.

What is the consensus?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: February 05, 2023, 03:17:14 am »

That plan seems better for the survival ability of our people but the time line doesn't allow for us to worn the people, so I'm  not sure what we should do.

Also do we think we could rebuild the navigation since the old one is dead?
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 33