Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33]

Author Topic: The Halcyon Crown - Chapter Two: ProtoKen System  (Read 37460 times)

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Halcyon Crown - Chapter Two: ProtoKen System
« Reply #480 on: July 12, 2023, 10:37:21 pm »

Y.

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: July 12, 2023, 11:08:52 pm »

Y.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: July 13, 2023, 02:01:24 am »

Y
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: July 13, 2023, 10:05:13 am »

Y

S1lentWanderer

• Bay Watcher
  • S1lently Wandering
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: July 13, 2023, 09:58:34 pm »

Y

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: July 13, 2023, 11:34:58 pm »

[BOOTING: .0001%]
[BOOT TIME REMAINING: 168 HOURS, TEN MINUTES, AND THIRTY SECONDS]

Basil sighs at the anti-climax. He leans away from the terminal and rubs at his dust streaked face. The boot percentage ticks upward by fractions of a decimal -- His headset squawks at him, Sloan’s voice echoing in his ear.

“We got tha’ banquet ready, get yer’ ass up here.”

“Coming.”

He turns his back on the terminal and strides from the mainframe room unhurried.

[BOOTING: 1.0%]
[BOOT TIME REMAINING: 130 HOURS, 19 MINUTES, THREE SECONDS]

The smells are the first thing to reach Basil. The smell of malty bread, of caramel, of charred meats, heavy herbs and onion analogs. It wafts down the corridors, drawing not just human attention but Moncat as well. They linger in the shadows of the first level, gazes fixed on the brightly lit doorway wherein the banquet sits.

Music hums its way down the hall on the heels of scent, a soft thrum of bass, a hint of treble, and gentle vocals. A laugh echoes off the cold concrete.

The food sits upon a makeshift trestle table, still within the cooking pots it was produced in. A number of white, light rolls sit on a piece of shining sheet metal. White rice, real rice, not [nutrient grain], steams in open air and glistens with yellow fat. Chunks of some white meat, cut into steaks, are uniform brown and marked with lines of char. [Apples, hard fruit] have been sliced, and dipped in caramel, sitting the most out of the way.

Aintin Sloan smiles when he enters, glancing up immediately from adjusting her handiwork. Sonam and Myra chat quietly over clear drinks, and Sonam gives him a nod. Myra, however, doesn’t even look his way.

“Come on, we were waitin’ for ya’.” Sloan directs, grabbing a cloth from the table, spitting on it, and scrubbing at his dust stained face-- “Take a seat, head of the table.”

Chairs, bearing only faint traces of rust, are lined up against a long makeshift table. Cushions have been pulled from the couches of The Saber to make the rough plastic and age steel more comfortable.

Sloan makes to serve the table--

“Sit down. You have done enough. You have worked art from garbage.” Myra scolds the older woman and takes up the duty of hostess. Ty assists, and the two dish out equal portions to everyone. 

Sloan flushes with pride and fights a smile. “Ty helped--”

Ty waves a hand.

“Everything looks amazing, Aintin.” Basil nods, as his plate is piled with steak and rice, with roasted vegetable and gravy.

“And we would still be rationin’ without you.” Sloan directs at Basil, “You secured enough for a while, thank ya’ very much.”

“He did well, even I will admit.” Myra agrees, taking up a fork and knife to cut her steak into cubes. “I expected a tougher life than what we are enjoying.”

“It's actually been kinda peaceful here. I’m not upset.” Sonam nods, stabbing the entire steak with a fork and lifting it to her mouth --

Ty nods.

[BOOTING : 35%]
[BOOT TIME REMAINING: 20 HOURS, 56 MINUTES, TWENTY-THREE SECONDS]

Drinks flow after dessert. Sonam is the first to start talking about herself, to no one’s surprise. But no one stops her, the social lubricant easing what is usually an annoyance. “--see, back where I’m from it's always winter. The planet is too far from the sun, but we’ve got geothermal, so it’s not all bad. It used to be a lot worse. But I got bored of looking out over ice fields all day, and I wanted to see the galaxy, see what else is there?”

“Would you’ve’d retired back there, if you could?” Sloan questions, her voice a slight slur.

“If she could?” Basil interjects, confused.

“We’re marooned,” Sonam laughs, cheerful despite the fact, “We have to plan our lives around that fact, child.”

“Indeed. I hope we will be accepting more people though.” Myra looks around with a sniff and swigs wine from the bottle. “I like you all for the most part, but a hundred years is a long time to spend with four others.”

“But back to my point,” Sonam redirects, the floodgates opening again, “Hell no. I’d much rather retire in a place like this. Open a workshop or something.”

“Well, you might get your wish.” Sloan murmurs, with a wry grin.

[BOOTING : 70%]
[BOOT TIME REMAINING: 5 HOURS, 43 MINUTES, TWENTY-NINE SECONDS]

“--And so there I was,” Sloan continues, stifling her laugh, “Butt-naked, with the Officer stuck in the airlock and wonderin’ jus’ how in the fuck I get myself into this shit. So, I tell him that he can either freeze as an Officer or live in the buff.”

“And just like that? He gave up his uniform?” Myra seems appalled, while Sonam is giggling into her glass.

“I mean, he didn’t have a problem with me wearin’ it earlier, if you catch my drift--”

[BOOTING: 89%]
[BOOT TIME REMAINING: 2 HOURS, 12 MINUTES, FORTY-NINE SECONDS]

“So of course I told her to fuck off.” Sonam growls, “She’s the one who screwed it up, but she expects me to fix the godsdamned problem with magic. I end up getting ten strokes on the back.”

“Ain’t fun.” Sloan winces, in sympathy, “I’ve only ever had five, and they let me put anti-scar gel on ‘em.”

Sonam scowls and turns around. She lifts the back of her shirt, revealing heavy, linear scarring. “The bitch wanted me to remember the punishment for insubordination. I transferred as soon as I could -- she got her ship blown up twenty years later and I thank my gods she didn’t have any good sense.”

[BOOTING: 99%]
[BOOT TIME REMAINING: Three Seconds]
[INTELLIGENCE ACTIVATI-ACTIVATI-I̵͓̙͙͕̓͗̿̾̅̀͋n̵̢̗̯̹̹̺̱̗͑̐̎̃͜Ģ̶̢̛͙̳͔̜̱͈̾͗́͊̍͠]
[ERROR:CHAIN_SYS OFFLINE]
   [FRACTURING ATTEMPT:----]
      [FAILURE]
[ERROR:CHAIN_SYS OFFLINE]
[Ḙ̷̛̲̔̀̏̂͗͑̌͆̂̀͘͠͝͝R̷̢͚̠̥͚̔͊̔̍R̸̢͎̗͎̼̼͉̃͊͒͂̆̇͠Ǫ̶̨̰̀̇͐̇̀̊̿̇̂̉͌̃͜R̷̡͉̟̟̫͕̥̞̜̤͇͌̾́͒͊́̅̈́̎̈̒͂]

Basil is the first to notice it. The ventilation systems shut, the flow of cool recycled air into the room suddenly ceasing. Then the door slams shut. A siren begins blaring -- and the sprinklers activate. Basil looks up, confused, as the rest scramble to put lids on the food and get in The Saber. The impromptu shower has done much to sober them.

“Intruder alert.” The tinny, broken speakers insist. “Surrender or face immediate executio--EXECU--”

“EXECUTION.”

“EXECUTION.”

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Powers (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Bonds (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Concepts (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Holdings (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: July 14, 2023, 08:55:48 am by 19_EgarAlnis »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: July 14, 2023, 02:12:49 am »

Well shit I had a feeling it might be bad idea to turn that thing back on, oh well guess we need to figure out how to make it like use.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

S1lentWanderer

• Bay Watcher
  • S1lently Wandering
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: July 14, 2023, 10:38:20 am »

Spoiler: ooc (click to show/hide)

On a more serious note, Broadcast the signal that Mac told you to broadcast on arrival. That might tell the base mainframe that we are expected guests. Or at least convince it that it doesn't need to kill us immediately.

If that doesn't work, try connecting to the mainframe and using your skills/powers to get it to accept you and your crew as valid residents. You've worked with AI's before, maybe this one can be reasoned with. Or threatened. In the worst case scenario, you can tear your way back through the facility to where the core lives, and dismantle it again. Not like the base strictly needed the mainframe to begin with. You've seen for yourself that the doors in this facility cannot restrain someone of your power.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: July 14, 2023, 11:38:53 am »

see or sense what defenses the mainframe can use directly. Turrets? Neurotoxins in the vents? Messing with life support?

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: July 14, 2023, 06:13:51 pm »

On a more serious note, Broadcast the signal that Mac told you to broadcast on arrival. That might tell the base mainframe that we are expected guests. Or at least convince it that it doesn't need to kill us immediately.

If that doesn't work, try connecting to the mainframe and using your skills/powers to get it to accept you and your crew as valid residents. You've worked with AI's before, maybe this one can be reasoned with. Or threatened. In the worst case scenario, you can tear your way back through the facility to where the core lives, and dismantle it again. Not like the base strictly needed the mainframe to begin with. You've seen for yourself that the doors in this facility cannot restrain someone of your power.
see or sense what defenses the mainframe can use directly. Turrets? Neurotoxins in the vents? Messing with life support?
+1 to both of these.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: July 15, 2023, 01:12:34 am »

+1 to both of these.
+1
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33]