Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: do overlapping meeting zones (with locations) cause random switching of jobs?  (Read 996 times)

Syndic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I had set up a temple, library and tavern in my new fort - and I thought I was being clever by making them all the same room (just assigning new zones all in the same space). However...

After I while I noticed people kept staying in there, cycling between the same meditating/praying jobs. My engraver was always, whenever I looked at the unit list, either praying to the tin or meditating on something. Her need to pray to the tin was never getting satisfied.

So, does being in a library, tavern and temple at the same time somehow make dwarves start new jobs from these zones without finishing their current one? Or am I missing something else?

(I've moved the zones to different locations now, will see if that helps)

Syndic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

quick update: shortly after that reorganization, the engraver went and satisfied her praying needs. After years of pink pray/meditate on about half my workforce, finally stuff gets done!

So I'm thinking it might really have been caused by overlapping the library/tavern/temple like that. Lesson learned!

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Interesting.  Good to know!
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

RandolphCarter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Was the temple the first zone which was set up?
There is this thing with guildhalls:
"There's nothing preventing a second guildhall being defined as a second zone occupying the same area, though dwarves who can participate in both guildhalls will exclusively use the first placed location on their tile. "
https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Guild
I'm wondering if this applies to more than guildhalls.

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website

Was the temple the first zone which was set up?
There is this thing with guildhalls:
"There's nothing preventing a second guildhall being defined as a second zone occupying the same area, though dwarves who can participate in both guildhalls will exclusively use the first placed location on their tile. "
https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Guild
I'm wondering if this applies to more than guildhalls.

Good catch!  From personal experience (in v0.47.04) the overlapping guild halls still award experience for watching demonstrations, but the demonstrations will only ever be of that one dominant location.

Now I wonder if dwarves would complete reading or poisoning jobs in an overlapping (and not first/dominant) location.

Syndic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Now I wonder if dwarves would complete reading or poisoning jobs in an overlapping (and not first/dominant) location.

Poisoning jobs?  :o

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Poisoner, a.k.a. tavern keeper/tavern performer (both poison patrons with too much booze to the same extent, and both perform to the same [rather limited] extent).

Syndic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ah, that makes sense. Hadn't thought of it that way before, but definitely will now.