Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Long Term Fort  (Read 8997 times)

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
Long Term Fort
« on: October 09, 2021, 07:23:45 pm »

I have a horrible tendency to just abandon forts a few years in for no good reason.  My hope is that by starting this thread, I'll be more motivated to stick with a fort for a longer period of time.  At the very least, it would be nice to have a stable fort available to test various new trap designs and engineering solutions for other forts.  So this is probably going to be just a series of boring posts of a stable fort with no real challenges. 

Seven dwarves embarked into untamed wilds with a minor river dropping quite a few Z-levels into a larger river.  There's flux, iron ore, sand, and soil.  Plenty of resources to make easy work of any challenger I reckon.

There are a few things I've had in mind to test out that I plan to pursue first:
  • Filling minecarts with magma utilizing a track going through magma (as compared to my usual way of flooding a chamber with track stops, draining it, waiting for the magma to evaporate, then hauling minecarts to dump spots)
  • Trading with multiple wagon caravans simultaneously.  I hypothesize that precise raising / lowering of bridges can make this possible
  • I also want to explore a minecart system for transporting dwarves out of harm's way
Anyway, here's an Armok Vision view of the embark location.  In the north eastern area, farming operations have begun, as well as creation of a trade depot, with a nice 3 tile wide ramp carved down to the eastern plains. 
Spoiler: 10-04-13 Embark zone (click to show/hide)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Re: Long Term Fort
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2021, 08:10:48 pm »

Posting of experimentation is always fun to read about.  Something I recently read on the Steam forum that I think is quite apt; Most of the building in Dwarf Fortress can be reduced to 'kindof a weird flex', lol.  I am especially interested in your third point; being able to more quickly evacuate outdoors Dwarves would be amazing.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2021, 08:14:50 pm »

Dwarven Express does sound interesting. Minecarts as well, as I still haven't mastered them.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2021, 10:56:13 am »

Posting of experimentation is always fun to read about.  Something I recently read on the Steam forum that I think is quite apt; Most of the building in Dwarf Fortress can be reduced to 'kindof a weird flex', lol.  I am especially interested in your third point; being able to more quickly evacuate outdoors Dwarves would be amazing.

At a certain point in playing Dwarf Fortress, I started to feel a need for some sort of challenge or arbitrary goal to keep it interesting.  For a long time, just making a fort that wouldn't crumble was enough of a challenge that I couldn't really consider anything beyond that.  Though as this thread will prove, interesting is subjective.  Posting about it keeps a bit of pressure on to actually follow through with rather than abandon the idea.  I hadn't thought of applying the minecart escape pods to the surface, but that's probably a more practical use.  I was thinking of having a route start off the main dining hall, and then lead to a more secure area of the fort in such a way that Dwarves can't be followed by non-flying / non-swimming invaders. 

Well, 1 year in, and as expected, nothing exciting has happened so far.  The plan is to play it safe for now while the basic fort infrastructure comes together so I can get to testing things sooner. 

The 4 militia dwarves were recently equipped with full bronze armor, cloaks, coats, mittens and hoods.  Currently practicing with long swords, except for the dwarf who arrived a talented hammerman.  Their "break" from training is to speed up construction goals by first smoothing the well layer by layer as it is dug. 
Spoiler: Well (click to show/hide)

Once all the beds are placed, there will be enough for everyone.
Spoiler: Housing (click to show/hide)

The dining hall is doubling as the metal working area for now.
Spoiler: Dining hall (click to show/hide)

The current entryway leads directly to the trade depot, with the barracks also immediately adjacent for quick reaction time if needed.  The guards' booze and prepared meals stockpiles are currently the only ones in the fort. 
Spoiler: Current entrance (click to show/hide)

The majority of crafting and masonry is currently operating out of the wood stockpile.
Spoiler: Woodpile (click to show/hide)

At least 13 tiles of safely accessible adamantine were discovered in the 3rd cavern level.  A tribe of spear wielding serpent people were also spotted somewhere down there, currently minding their own business.  Despite an abundance of flux stone, unfortunately no ores of iron were found yet. 
Spoiler: Cavern level 3 (click to show/hide)

And lastly, the trap hall of lazy fortress defense is off to a strong start with nearly 20 cages loaded in so far.
Spoiler: Trap hall (click to show/hide)

Update:
While digging out the new metalsmithing area, the river was accidentally breached...
Spoiler: Oops (click to show/hide)
First time using DFHack's digcircle command, and I suppose I got a little carried away.

But the water source system was corrected, and now the well is operational, so things are okay.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 07:16:57 pm by Schmaven »

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2021, 04:43:24 pm »

Due to a wood shortage stopping metal and glass production, it seemed a good time to finally get the magma forges going.  Some nickel ore was mined out in order to make magma safe minecarts without wasting the limited reserves of iron or steel.  Platinum and gold were also discovered nearby.

Usually I just locate all metalworking activities at the magma sea, and tap into the side of it once channels are dug everywhere.  This time I used a modification of Design 3: Minimalist magma moving from the Wiki.  I didn't read it carefully, so my method was Dwarvenly slow and labor intensive.  Instead of a dump zone for minecarts, I used a single track stop, so was limited to just 1 minecart at a time.  Also, being placed below the pump, a total of 20 urists of magma had to be evaporated each time as the space above the cart, and on the walkable tile of the other pump also were filled instantaneously with magma.
Spoiler: Minecart chambers (click to show/hide)
It is all powered with Dwarven Micro Reactors
Spoiler: Power connections (click to show/hide)
A lot of work for just 2 units of magma, but there's an abundance of idle Dwarves.

The first stop was to plug the hole from the previous mining accident.
Spoiler: Gap obsidianized (click to show/hide)
Which allowed the pumps to actually start making progress draining the tower basement.  Instead of water reactors, the nearby waterfall provided easy access to power.
Spoiler: Reclamation (click to show/hide)
A short 3-Z pump stack was gradually extended downward until the forge level was finally emptied out.
Spoiler: Muddy metalworks (click to show/hide)
A couple more painfully slow cycles of magma were brought up and the first magma forge was fired up at last.
Spoiler: Forging (click to show/hide)
The entirety of the fort's bronze bars were submerged, so now it will be put to good use as armor for the 2 squads.  There should be enough for everyone to be fully covered in metal, which they currently are not.  The uniforms definitely need some tweaking as well, since it doesn't matter what their backpacks or flasks are made of.  It's a new squad.
Spoiler: Dwarf Therapist view (click to show/hide)

I tried some basic raw editing for this world.  I made a new shield, the 'Kite Shield'
Spoiler: item_shield.txt (click to show/hide)
Restrictions were also removed to allow the dwarves to craft just about all the different weapons and articles of clothing.  High quality steel long swords for everyone!

More magma needs to be moved to get the smelters going, and some additional forges.  Also, the trade situation is in need of improvement.

Edit: Update
New trade depot area and barracks has begun construction. 

Also, the magma minecart system was re-designed to use a 1x1 dump zone.  It has simplified things for sure, but still could be improved.  The dump zone above the 1x1 fill chamber eliminates the hassle of assigning minecarts to hauling routes and building track stops.  However, the minecarts stack vertically.  The 1x1 pit containing only 1 cart, while the empty tile above it holds the remaining dumped carts.  When flooded with magma, only the minecart in the lower tile is filled with magma. 
Spoiler: Improved design (click to show/hide)

Only 7 tiles of magma have to be evaporated, so that is also better, but I think there is a way to fill all of the dumped carts at once by increasing the depth of the pit, and moving the magma input pump to 2-Z above the lowest tile rather than 1-Z.

Another Update:
The magma minecart filler system has been definitively improved.  The magma sea is now pumped into a 2-Z 1x1 hole.  On the 3rd Z-level above the hole, minecarts are dumped down.  Only 1 lands on the lowest level, but all the rest occupy the same tile mid-air above the lower minecart.  When magma is pumped in, all the carts are filled at once!  I have nickel minecarts exclusively for this purpose, so I have a stockpile that accepts only nickel minecarts.  Empty minecarts in the stockpile are marked for dumping, and once full, they are un-forbidden to get hauled back to the stockpile.  Hauling routes and track stops are still needed to deliver magma to where it's going, but this is sooo much simpler now.  Wheelbarrows may speed up the hauling, but I'm not using them.  Dwarves need the exercise. (Does hauling minecarts increase strength?)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 04:39:45 pm by Schmaven »

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2021, 11:19:06 pm »

5 years in, and I started to get a bit bored.  The remedy?  An unnecessarily large imposing tower.
Spoiler: Armok Vision of tower (click to show/hide)

Unfortunately, the granite stockpiles have been nearly depleted.  Over 500 boulders have been made into blocks so far.  I'm not sure I want to strip mine the granite layer yet.  For now, a bunch of stockpile areas have been carved out, but it is not enough.

Due to the ease of magma hauling with the new minecart filling system, the metalsmithing area is now fully operational, with some extra space for expansion if needed.
Spoiler: Forge area (click to show/hide)

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2021, 06:53:30 pm »

I'm not sure what the cause is, but for some reason, if I let the fort play out for more than a month straight, I get a crash to desktop.  So I've been playing 1 week, saving, reloading, playing a week, and repeating that cycle for now and have had no crashes with that method so far.  I hope that clears up soon.  I lost a good hour or so of designations due to 4 crashes in the year 16.  On the plus side, I was able to avoid casualties while constructing the river dam on the 3rd go around:
Spoiler: Pump dam (click to show/hide)

Well, I got a crash within the 1 week time frame.  But I've made it to the month of Opal, so I'll keep trying bit by bit...
It's not too bad, it just takes about 25 seconds to save and then re-load the game.

During the process of damming the river, a siege arrived, and a group of trolls destroyed some of the pumps before the bridges could be finished, allowing the river to flow once again unimpeded.

But the tower has seen significant progress:
Spoiler: tower (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 08:45:32 pm by Schmaven »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2021, 04:12:06 am »

PTW This is looking interesting.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
8 years in
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2021, 12:43:59 pm »

Nothing too exciting happened.  I have had no crashes since not opening Dwarf Therapist.  I even let it run a couple months without saving and reloading and it's been stable.  Still too many variables to draw any conclusions yet.  I'll try DT again at some point, but the important labors already have their experts, and there's enough peasants for all the hauling and construction tasks I've been designating, so I'm going to just keep going without it for some time to see if adding more fluid flow and the like might be a factor.  Also, setting the pop cap to 200 has kept migrants away, and processing migrant waves is probably the #1 thing I do with DT.

Two war dogs were killed after starting fights with wild elk.  Each did incredibly poorly in their respective fights. 

A roc showed up, and was easily dispatched by the swordsdwarves, but only after killing a couple war dogs effortlessly.  I'm thinking war dogs are more of a meat shield sort of animal than a combat ally.  So far, the elves have brought a giant versions of a bobcat, koala, raven, hamster, coyote, badger boar, wild boar, red panda, and grizzly bear.  But no breeding pair of any of them yet.  Some casualties and debris from the waterfall entry project can be seen just above:
Spoiler: Menagerie (click to show/hide)

One of the doctors entered a strange mood and needed a bunch of vermin remains.  All the cats were set loose from the food stockpiles, but weren't able to produce any.  As he ran around babbling, he got cornered in 1 of the burial chambers and was sealed away.
Spoiler: Burial chambers (click to show/hide)

The pasture was relocated, given a wall, a drawbridge seal, and an emergency stash of food and drinks so any dwarves trapped with their pets to wait out a siege can still have a good meal and get tanked.  Across the gateway, construction has begun on a more efficient wood storage layout in conjunction with a higher capacity clear glass block making industry.
Spoiler: Pasture (click to show/hide)

Some hallways were widened, other stockpiles expanded, gradual smoothing of walls and creating guild halls took place as construction on the main entryway is still heavily bottlenecked by the slow production of clear glass blocks.  The magma workshops, though next to the sand collection points were a couple days' trek from the pearlash production.  New magma workshops were delayed due to a bunch of refuse jamming up the minecart magma filling system that didn't burn away very easily. 

The human caravan brought with it a bronze utdar.  Some sort of large hand-held 55-string instrument with a metal body.  The strings are made from flashing sparks.  I'll try to sort it out of the melt metal object stream if it hasn't already been turned into bars.  I bet someone can really shred with that thing.

The first test of the waterfall entry had a happy accident:  The waterfall deflector turned out to be a bit undersized for the flow, resulting in some forward spillage onto the entry bridge below.  But it never got more than 2/7 deep due to the fortifications there, so I now have a dwarven shower of sorts.   
Spoiler: Dwarven shower (click to show/hide)
Unfortunately, I neglected to link up the retracting bridge to test the deflector bypass / goblin washer system.  This has given me some other ideas to try though.

The population is still up at 271 with 122 pets/livestock and running at a solid 40-45 FPS right now.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
10 Year milestone
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2021, 02:30:27 pm »

I'm sure most people are aware of the Meph tileset controversey at this point, so I've changed over to the Vettlingr 32x tileset for the fort.  I don't know if that's why or if there is another explanation, but Armok Vision has ceased to display anything for me since the change.  I'm going to look more into Stonesense at some point if I can't get Armok Vision working.

There was a goblin siege at the turn of the decade, and rather than let them run into the traps, the 4 elite squads were rallied out to take the fight to the greenskins:
Spoiler: Siege (click to show/hide)

The entryway has been extended up to the surface on 1 side so far.  The Southern entry has yet to be completed:
Spoiler: Entry bridge (click to show/hide)

The first above ground crop was planted and brewed: grapes into wine. 

An artifact platinum whip was constructed, resulting in a new squad being formed dedicated to wielding epic artifact weapons such as Nitigral, "Bitesilver" a platinum whip.  All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality.  It is studded with platinum an dencircled with bands of square brilliant cut rose quartzes, oval schist cabochons and horse leather.  This object is adorned with hanging rings of mule bone.  On th eitem is an image of Edëm Sparksacks the dwarf in rose quartz.  On the item is an image of a point cut gem in rose quartz.  On the image is an image of pines in citrine.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2021, 04:47:03 am »

I'm sure most people are aware of the Meph tileset controversey at this point
I guess I'm behind the times, as I have no idea what's gone on with the Meph tileset.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2021, 09:10:40 am »

I guess I'm behind the times, as I have no idea what's gone on with the Meph tileset.

There are some copyright concerns with old sprites copied from Google image searches from some time ago, and it has been pulled from the LNP options.

The Steam Official Announcement Thread has more info.

Edit: spelling correction (ty Silverwing)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 08:21:27 pm by Schmaven »

Silverwing235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2021, 10:47:56 am »

There are some copyright concerns with old sprites copied from Google image searches from some time ago, and it has been pulled from the LNP options.

Ahem, FTFY.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2021, 03:10:40 am »

Well that's news to me.

But why does that keep you using the tileset?

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2021, 09:59:38 pm »

Well that's news to me.

But why does that keep you using the tileset?

I suppose it just feels wrong to me: To use a tileset that some of its creators do not wish to be used.  Although I have a hard time imagining they wouldn't want their art put to use.  Maybe it's more that they don't want any accolades due to them for their good work to go to someone else who didn't create it?  In that case, using what's already been let out into the world seems okay.  I don't know.  Posting screen shots here of that tile set after it has been made unavailable on the Lazy Newb Pack still seems weird to me though.  It would be a simple matter to change back to it.  To some extent it doesn't really matter because the steam release is approaching on the horizon, and its tileset looks quite spectacular. 
Pages: [1] 2 3