Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Long Term Fort  (Read 8814 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Long Term Fort
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2021, 03:52:43 am »

Is the steam release approaching that fast, I think I might be behind the times more than I thought.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2021, 04:05:35 am »

sometimes the documentation of a fortress can be more fun than playing it! haha

also, I am pretty excited for steam release. I was a bit incredulous at first, and it will take a lot of getting used to. I will likely bemoan the lack of hotkeys and relatively slow nature of the u.i. And the tilesets are not to my taste honestly

BUT THEN, I will use the new military menu and all will be forgiven

Schmaven, a suggestion- when you do become bored of this fortress, try to destroy it in some ridiculous way. there is not enough spectacular destruction on these forums!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2021, 09:22:47 pm »

I'm partial to the whole fortress being suspended over Magma by a single walkway, then deconstructing the walkway.

Seeing what happens when various things fall in DF has inspired several fortresses.  Does height matter? Material? What it falls into/onto?

Can your dwarves survive?

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2021, 01:53:57 am »

Is the steam release approaching that fast, I think I might be behind the times more than I thought.
Time is subjective I suppose.

The fort is still chugging along.  The military was deactivated and put on hauling duties to catch up on refuse dumping from the last goblin siege, and getting food into barrels, then set to work building roads from the main entry to the 4 corners of the map to keep trees from affecting trade caravans.  Clear glass block production has finally surpassed construction demand, so the now legendary glass makers are making clear glass portals, statues and other amenities for the fort.
Spoiler: Construction (click to show/hide)

A couple dwarves went insane and subsequently starved to death. 

Most of the population was examined for item preferences and given the corresponding labor in order to encourage more useful artifacts.  Anyone without a specific desired item preference was given masonry to practice.  Until more of the fort is dug out, there's a shortage of stones.  Obsidian farming is going to have to come into existence at some point here. 

The food / farming industries are currently in the process of being moved from the temporary fort to the main fort.  Hauling and processing distances will be about 75 tiles shorter from the new locations. 

A dragon, "Mistrum the Warmth of Sizzling" arrived, and was killed by 1 of the recruits who got a lucky stab to the middle spine's nervous tissue, causing paralysis followed by suffocation.  Now that I'm checking on the recruits, I think they're due to be promoted into regular guards.  Koshmeng, in addition to slaying the dragon single handedly, also has logged 4 goblin and 4 troll kills.  And while killing the dragon, he improved his sword skill to legendary.  Seems fitting.  He then named his steel long sword "Calmedgully" (which is still coated in dragon blood) and then proceeded to organize a striking demonstration (presumably as he recounted his recent fight with the dragon). 
Spoiler: Dragon (click to show/hide)

The main industry focuses have settled on food/booze, textiles, and metalsmithing.  They're all centered around the trade depots.  The next task is to get bedrooms for each of the dwarves.  The current 80 bedrooms and an additional 19 beds in the dormitories have left a number of the 269 Dwarves with bad thoughts. 

Still no breeding pair of giant anything from the elves.  But the 3 male giant boars are currently guarding some hope of there being giant piles of bacon at some point in the future.
Spoiler: Menagerie (click to show/hide)

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
Re: Long Term Fort (11 years in)
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2021, 07:29:03 pm »

A siege arrived just before the autumn caravan, and I was looking forward to testing the waterfall washing system, but the first wave was trolls, who destroyed the drainage gates, and that path into the fort with them.  At least the Dwarven caravan had the wherewithal to not show up while the goblins re-pathed back toward the trap hall.  The trolls also wasted no time in destroying the surface workers' cafeteria.
Spoiler: Siege arrives (click to show/hide)

The squads were sent out to intercept them, and many well trained but green dwarves got their first kills.  Among them, a bow dwarf who took down a troll first with a shot to the lower body, paralyzing it, then shot it through the heart, and finished it off with a 3rd shot to the head.  Quite a lethal combo.
Spoiler: combat log (click to show/hide)

A new squad was formed for the sole purpose of wielding artifact weapons.  And also seeing some action for the first time, was the new artifact platinum whip. 
Spoiler: Whip description (click to show/hide)

Some misconfigured food stockpiles were found, with barrels full of seeds.  A special dump zone was created to get them over to the seed bag stockpiles, and then forgotten about until miasma was wafting up from the basement of the barracks.  Farming is going much smoother now.

The outdoor refuse stockpile was determined to be too far away.  Whenever the archers would kill an elk, the corpse could be seen being dragged past the butcher's shop on its way far outside, only to be dragged back in, ever so slowly to be butchered.  A new fresh-air dump zone is being constructed over the river out of the now abundant clear glass blocks.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2021, 12:53:41 am »

Another dragon came, and due to construction, there is no way to seal off the fort, so it came right down the glass entryway.  The goblin washer lever was pulled, but the dragon was too quick.  For fun, just the 3 artifact wielders were alone sent to intercept the dragon.  The lasher with the platinum whip got credit for the kill, but the mace and hammerdwarves broke most of its bones before the killing blow.  Its fire was less effective in the entry tunnel than it was melting peasants on the surface.
Spoiler: The surface (click to show/hide)

Unfortunately, 1 of the legendary bowdwarves was caught in the goblin washer flow, swept down the waterfall and died, along with 3 peasants before the lever was pulled again.
Spoiler: Waterfall's base (click to show/hide)

Seven dwarves were found to be really stressed out, and so their new full time job is to demand 1 time tribute from every elven civilization in the world.  Thanks to the strange mood plan of giving most dwarves metalworking skills, they were not sent naked as is the usual custom, but given their choice of battle axe and shield. 
Spoiler: Early results (click to show/hide)

Also, it was confirmed that playing the fort with Dwarf Therapist running in the background is indeed the result of the crashes.  Opening it while paused, making changes, then closing it seems to be totally crash free.  Thank goodness for seasonal saves!

A goblin pikeman from another siege escaped during cage relocation and made it to the forges, killing 5 before the guards arrived on the scene.
Spoiler: Forges (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2021, 01:26:15 am by Schmaven »

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
Long Term Fort: Year 15
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2021, 08:13:49 pm »

The fort's at a fairly stable point right now, but FPS is down to the upper 20s, so I just designate a bunch of stuff, then walk away for a bit and repeat the process.  The expendable squad of terminally depressed dwarves managed to make contact with all 11 elven civilizations which now send annual caravans. 
Spoiler: Elven Depot (click to show/hide)
They mostly brought regular animals.  Only 3 of the 11 civilizations had any of the giant variety.  The first mass trade was a bust, but finally the first breeding pair of giant animals was acquired:
Spoiler: Wolves (click to show/hide)
Work has begun to expand the beastiary.  Though it may be a bit too soon, as the elven merchant brigade was intercepted by an untimely Roc visit, obliterating the entirety of 2 elf civilizations' merchants.
Spoiler: Roc friend (click to show/hide)
The Roc attempted to retreat up to the skies as the expendables charged out, but was shot down by the marksdwarves who then proceeded to customarily beat it to death with their bows once it was on the ground.  After much beating of the unconscious bird, 1 of the regular guards arrived on the scene and finished off the beast. 
Spoiler: Combat log (click to show/hide)

An attempt was made to construct an efficient magma farm after past experiences with having to wait for the magma sea / cavern lakes to refill.  Construction was not a smooth process...

The maintenance access to the bridge was not sealed before upward ramps were dug. 
Spoiler: Surprise water flow (click to show/hide)
It took several constructed track stops, but eventually the maintenance access was sealed with an obsidian plug, allowing the flow to be shut off once again. 
Spoiler: Obsidian plugs (click to show/hide)
An unplanned excess water drainage system was added to the setup:
Spoiler: Water drains (click to show/hide)
Somehow during the first harvest, 1 of the bridges exploded causing a cave-in sink-hole into the magma sea that remains un-patched, but it's fine, that level was abandoned during construction anyway:
Spoiler: Cave-in (click to show/hide)

But it works now!  11 screw pumps rapidly fill the inner chamber with magma.  Once full, the pumps are disabled, and the containment perimeter is let down causing the average magma per tile to be a small fraction greater than 2 as it spreads out.  The same is done with water above, which is then only dropped onto the magma outside the containment perimeter.  The result is over twice the obsidian per unit of magma or water used compared to my previous methods of dropping 7 onto 7.  The benefit is that resetting the obsidian casting is really quick while also conserving water and magma for other uses. 
Spoiler: Obsidian farm (click to show/hide)

It need to be bigger, as the current 235 tiles of obsidian can be mined out surprisingly quickly with an idle crew of legendary miners; And it yields only about 55 obsidian boulders per cycle.  I'd like to automate it such that a single lever can run a full cycle, but I haven't done anything with dwarven computing yet.  I think it can all be accomplished with an elaborate configuration of minecarts, pressure plates, doors, and powered rollers. 

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2021, 04:16:51 am »

I'm glad to see another long term fort documented on the forum. I can't see the pictures (imgur blocked in china) but it's a good read.

I read about the micro water reactor and am building one right now.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2022, 07:51:12 am »

I've capped the fort at 250 dwarves for now.  FPS seems to be consistently in the 30s - 40s.  One thing I'm trying to address in this fort is reducing the time dwarves spend walking from A to B.  The current layout just happened by necessity as the process of embarking, being invaded, and growing to 250 dwarves tends to be a bit chaotic for me.  I tried to locate things in good spots, but now that things have stabilized, and invaders easily repelled, it's time for some remodeling.  The trade depots are in a great spot, as are the kitchens, and I think having the forges in the basement of the archery tower is also going to be just fine.

The bedrooms however are not in an ideal spot.  Currently, the main trade items by quantity are worn out clothes.  Each dwarf wears roughly 10 pieces of clothing that wear in about 2 years, which ends up being a bit over 400 clothes to trade away each caravan season.  All that worn clothing is typically just laying spilling out of their cabinets 160 - 250 tiles away.  So an unused section just 40 - 100 tiles away has begun to be carved and smoothed out for the new bedrooms.

The dining hall, tavern and food / drink storage has also been relocated to just below the kitchens, which are just below the new housing block.

The forges aren't too far away, but the 1 tile stairway tends to get bit crowded now that all metal goods from every caravan are bought to be melted.  That's a fairly easy upgrade to make on most levels of the tower which are currently just stone stockpiles.  The forge level, and temple level will have to be re-worked somewhat to make it make sense, so I'm going to ignore those for now.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
Long Term Fort: Summer of the 28th year
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2022, 08:58:47 pm »

One issue with having incredibly well trained soldiers, is that when they throw a tantrum, they are able to kill other dwarves easily with a single bare handed strike.  This particular dwarf was repeatedly angry at getting into arguments, dwelt on those arguments, and was also frustrated by a lack of trouble-making.  She then killed the mayor, a doctor, and 1 of the craftsdwarves with punches and scratches. 

This created some space within the population cap for a few more dwarven babies to be born into the fort, but she had to be stopped.  Rather than a simple hammering, she's was grouped up with 2 other trouble makers, told to put all their armor back into storage, and given just a single masterwork steel battle axe; Before being sent on a mission to raize the nearby goblin dark pits of Evilglaze.  I did allow them to put regular civilian clothes back on first of course, but that masterwork steel armor is too valuable to send on a suicide mission for the glory of all Dwarf kind.  They came back with a bunch of junk items and completely unharmed, turned around and sent back to get some more.  This time against the 50 guarding Rhythmplagues instead of the 10 seemingly ghost occupants of Evilglaze. 

While away, a huge quadruped composed of clear glass arrived with a spiral shell, bloated body, and poisonous vapors in the first cavern level.  All its limbs were already cracked, so it didn't sound that tough.  When the dwarves again returned with garbage as well as their lives, they were sent down to explore that cavern level. Matmeng Ashmonzas had another tantrum and killed her exploration partner.  At some point, she also killed the forgotten beast, but the combat log expired by the time I noticed.  It must have been an easy fight. 

While sending the explorers into the caverns, 1 of the more well adjusted guards got locked in as well, presumably chasing after something to haul somewhere.  Able bodied and idle, they were put to work building a rough exile camp.  A couple fish were caught and immediately eaten after being processed.  1 wild pigtail and 1 wild cave wheat were harvested and processed to produce another seed which has set farming into motion.
 Maybe they'll survive.

It's been slow going moving the bedrooms to the more centralized location.  The plan multi-fold:  Start off with all masterwork doors, beds, and cabinets, while also training up unskilled dwarves in masonry to stack the deck in favor of more artifact door chances.  (The last 2 artifacts have booth been a wooden goblet, and a green glass goblet)  Masterworks are rare with such low skill, and I don't want to just strip mine everything for material, so they're all going to be made from obsidian and glass.  The surface has been clear cut several times, and the obsidian farm cannot keep up.  But the first of 3 bedroom levels is done (not counting a dozen rooms still waiting on cabinets), providing 70 rooms.  The next 2 levels each have 90 to leave a few spares once the nobles get their special chambers set up.

While 3 of the 11 elven civilizations bring giant animals each year, the only breeding pair acquired so far have been giant wolves.  Trainable for war, I think this is fine.  They don't need to graze or be fed, and they are quite fast.  I usually let the new giant wolf pups run around the halls for a while before chaining them up with the others.  Their population is almost at the level where I'll start having to slaughter them for the sake of FPS, so I'm not sure yet if they'll also provide a good source of meat.  I still have hopes for a breeding pair of giant birds
Spoiler: Wolves (click to show/hide)

For giant egg layers, we currently have 1/2 a pair of ravens, sparrows, bluejays, and copperhead snakes.  I've only been able to trade away 10x each caravan's value with old clothes, sub-quality furniture, and extra prepared meals. 
Spoiler: Z-Screen (click to show/hide)

A major factor that has been slowing down the fort are dealing with the trade caravans.  As mentioned earlier, dealing with worn out clothing is a very job intensive task, exacerbated by the distances dwarves have to walk.  Imports are mostly just food and metals, which haven't required much labor in comparison both in terms on number of jobs and distance for each job.  There's no shortage of precious metals, but keeping clothing fresh absolutely depends on importing leather and cloth from the fall caravan each year.  The humans have stopped bringing those for some reason.  Also, I'm confident that eventually the elves will bring the right combination of giant animals to either enhance the military, or boost the food exports. 

I don't see myself getting bored with this fort just yet.  But I did find an adamantine spire in the 3rd cavern level, so there is definitely a real risk of spectacular demise depending on how recklessly I approach it.  I'm still looking for a better image hosting service, but am not very good at that sort of thing, so for now, Imgur it is. 
Spoiler: 3rd cavern level (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2022, 09:00:18 pm by Schmaven »

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2022, 09:25:08 am »

I swear, the purpose of this fort is still to include testing various things.  The game just has a way of... going off the rails.

One such recent distraction was a dragon that showed up shortly before the much anticipated Dwarven caravan. 
'What a good opportunity to trap it and make some sort of flame turret trap' I naively thought to myself as I ordered the various levers to be pulled to force the dragon through the cage trap tunnel, and ordered the marksdwarves to the tower to maybe get some shooting practice in as it passed by.   (They should really be training up there now that I think of it).  The underground burrow was activated, etc.

The next thing I know, the dragon has traveled 2 full screens in the time it took a couple of the wood haulers to go maybe 8 tiles.  Inspecting the dragon's showed it to have a cool name "Kovest Sarveshsirab (Furnacewarmth)" with green scales, black eyes, and described as very fast.  Indeed.  Before any lever was even pulled, it was clear that the dragon would shortly be inside the tower.  The wood haulers distracted it only briefly as they were quickly decapitated and burninated, along with the freshly laid silver road that the traders have yet to use.   

All military squads were immediately ordered to charge at the dragon, because this tower goes directly to the main forges, armory, jeweler's workshop, and other time consuming to replace stockpiles of the fort.  There should probably be some hatches in that stairway.  The first 2 armed dwarves who reached the dragon were 2 of the most elite marksdwarves in this particular world.  Both were immediately melted by dragonfire.  The militia commander was next, and while amidst the molten steel mists of his comrades, dodging and blocking more dragonfire, he managed to decapitate the dragon before it could advance any further. 

My hasty unit inspection showed the commander's lower limbs to be listed as "melted" but he was otherwise in good shape.  He unfortunately melted from the bottom up and died upon resuming the passage of time.  I like to imagine he gave a final thumbs up, being satisfied at having given the ultimate sacrifice for the rest of the fort.  The only remains left of this fight are now 1 of the marksdwarves' artifact bows that is currently on fire outside the tower gate, and the artifact rose gold kite shield that will go to the next militia commander. 

Before promotions and any recruitment could happen, I somehow managed to spot a kea attempting to fly away with the artifact rose gold kite shield.  A previous incident with wild boars getting spooked and stuck on top of the tower was recalled, and I never did order that access hole sealed, so the remaining archers were stationed at the peak of the tower.

It was Ětdůnkivish Charmedlancers who managed to shoot off the right wing, dropping it and the shield out of the sky.  ..And into the river.  At least it was upstream of the dam, so it can't get washed off the map without levers being involved.  Still, a nice shot, and he is now promoted to fill the melted shoes of the previous ranged squad leader. 

Otherwise, some basic production goals have been achieved, and having been continually churning out goods for the entire existence of the fort, the 2 carpenters have earned some longer breaks in the tavern.  All bedrooms now have masterwork quality beds, and there are enough spare bins, wheel barrows, cages, buckets, and stepladders for the forseeable future.  The import of cloth has so far resulted in more bins than I can ever imagine using.  This is a good opportunity to move the carpentry shop into a better spot, and trade away most of those bins, sorting the fewer higher quality ones into a new spare bin stockpile.
Spoiler: Carpentry shop (click to show/hide)

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2022, 05:17:14 pm »

It was inevitable.  A fire breathing flying crab made its way into the encampment in the 3rd cavern level and killed the last of the workers.  It seemed to ignore the camp for a few months, so I stopped paying attention, and when I finally noticed, the combat logs had expired.  The next time I checked in on it, the encampment was on fire, but again nothing in the combat logs.  Nonstop military training is what broke the spirits of most in the first expedition, so some of the new recruits may find themselves in the caverns to pick up where the others left off: mining around the adamantine tube to expose the full extent of it for an actual harvest attempt.
Spoiler: Cavern encampment (click to show/hide)

Refraining from starting wars with the elves has paid off.  The first breeding pair of giant war animals obtained were bobcats, but later, giant grizzly bears!  They're about 7 times the size of the giant bobcats, almost twice as fast, and yield about 5 times the meat when butchered.  The next cavern expedition will bring the bobcats to their new home. 
Spoiler: War animals (click to show/hide)

Four dwarves died while expanding the stairway up to the archery tower, a granite block getting credit for 2 kills.  Installing hatches has been planned for a while.  I didn't expect delaying to be so costly.
Spoiler: The granite block (click to show/hide)

The archers have been relocated to the tower (their arrows have not yet joined them)
Spoiler: New archery barracks (click to show/hide)
A few levels below them is the archery practice range & ranged trainee's barracks.  To save hauling time, a minecart track takes freshly made bone arrows from the buthery / kitchen area up to a quantum stockpile.  The bone carver has 702k exp. and has not been able to keep up with the supply of bones, so they make good training ammo.  The dragon and roc bone arrows however have been reserved for special occasions. 
Spoiler: Training level (click to show/hide)
Sandwiched between the 2 tiers of archers, is the squad of artifact wielders above a labrynth.  The aim is to slow down stray hostile creatures so the artifact wielders can muster a defense for the archers above.  All new slabs dedicated to fallen military dwarves are being installed along the labrynth.  In my estimation, there is only a small chance of this resulting in a ghost explosion, so I'm not concerned.  The archers will have to walk past the memorials to their fallen comrades every time they go on or off duty.  It should make them more determined that their arrows find their marks.
Spoiler: labrynth (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tower guards (click to show/hide)

The new bedrooms all have new masterwork doors, so the old bedroom area was disassembled and mined out; repurposed for minecart / pressure plate testing.  I wasn't expecting the pressure plate to reset so quickly, so some form of latch will have to be implemented.  My first idea is to use water, and fluid pressure plates, but that would require pumps, access to fluids, and an FPS hit, so I minecarts, rollers, and bridges it is.  Dwarven micro reactors can be turned off if you have DFHack by just changing the track stop to no longer dump, and thereby preserve FPS.  I'm thinking this functionality should also make it possible to trigger processes normally requiring lever pulls, to no longer require a dwarf to be involved.  This is all a new frontier for me.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2022, 03:09:26 pm »

While repairing the machinery and re-linking levers after the last dragon's visit to the surface, the dam pumps were unexpectedly activated.  This dropped the water level just enough for 1 of the new guards to attempt to upgrade his steel mail shirt with the one he somehow spotted deep underwater in the well cistern intake pit.  In an attempt to save the guard from drowning, while also trying to catch the artifact rose gold kite shield on the bridge rather than wash it off the map edge, the waterfall was released.  Unfortunately, the shield was pushed like a leaf in the wind, and missed the bridge, ending up with a pile of other debris at the bottom.
Spoiler: River accident (click to show/hide)

The rescue attempt failed, but not for a lack of trying.  It was slow going building pumps to clear the intake pit.  So slow that by the time the pump operator got there, the trapped dwarf had already drowned.

A total of 3 dwarves drowned in the rescue attempt.

Attempts to automate obsidian production have so far just resulted in accidental floods of the magma chamber, followed by draining it and waiting for the last bits to dry up before workers could get in there safely.

It's surprisingly easy to accidentally power up pumps a step or two sooner than planned.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
Long Term Fort: 29 years in
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2022, 02:43:47 pm »

The obsidian casting automation project is starting to seem like fusion reactor technology.  It's almost working, just a couple more years and it will be operational.   
Spoiler: Obsidian Farms (click to show/hide)
The latch reset to turn off the magma pumps was not linked properly to the pressure plate, so the chamber just filled to the max, rather than a partial fill as desired.  Surprisingly, over the course of the project, so far only 1 dwarf has been injured by minecarts, and none have been immolated.

Unfortunately it was discovered that flowing magma will not power a dwarven micro reactor.
Spoiler: No power generated (click to show/hide)

The old housing level has been thoroughly repurposed into a machine room.  The minecart logic system I've been experimenting with is not ideal.  Using retracting bridges to override carved track routes breaks down if the bridges change state while the minecart is on the bridge tile.  So that has to be worked out at some point.  I'm just going to ignore that for the time being, and push ahead as a proof of concept.
Spoiler: Minecart Logic (click to show/hide)

All the easily accessible adamantine has been harvested, which has kept the single strand extractor busy for the past 3 years making wafers. 
Interestingly, artifact adamantine battle axes are only 500% the sharpness of iron, while masterwork adamantine battle axes are 1000% as sharp (sharpness = 100,000), and exceptional ones 900% the sharpness.  Still much sharper than a masterwork steel long sword which is only 100% the sharpness of iron, and artifact steel long swords (50% the sharpness of iron, or 5,000).

FPS dropped to the mid 20s, so the remaining 27 giant sparrows were slaughtered (they weren't laying that many eggs anyhow), and all adult giant bobcats assigned to the cavern explorer (31 of them) as everything was un-forbidden, and the doors opened up to the wider cavern zone.  Over previous years, 1 by 1, random dwarves from the 3rd cavern level would somehow scale the walls of their safe zone, and get killed by the web spitting forgotten beast lurking just outside.  Only this single dwarf remained, so something had to be done.  Once let loose, that particularly troublesome forgotten beast managed to kill 6 giant war bobcats before being blinded and missing the rest for the next 8 pages of combat logs while the everyone piled on for some sweet revenge. 

FPS has climbed back up to 30.  I expect this to further increase once the 78 giant bobcats have run their course.

FPS tends to plummet to the teens whenever the 11 elven caravans all arrive at once, so I predict the sharpness of the new adamantine weapons will inevitably be put to use "discouraging" some of those caravans from returning.

The well cistern intake pit was finally drained, cleared of dead bodies, and reconfigured to enable easy draining and recovery of drowned dwarves / artifacts or whatever ends up in there again.
Spoiler: Dam (click to show/hide)

The debris pile at the bottom of the waterfall has yet to be recovered in any way.  The artifact shield hasn't been pushed around much if at all after going over the edge, so there's still time to recover it somehow.

There are now 124 giant grizzly bears.  So the new cubs have been separated out to prepare for turning the older bears into FPS roasts while maintaining a young population for general security and reproduction.  Before splitting them up, some of the adult giant war grizzlies were regularly murdering cubs at the entrance to their den.
Spoiler: Bear cub births (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Mixed bear den (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The new breed (click to show/hide)

Somewhat unrelated yet related to everything, I've begun a personal experiment: 2 months of 9+ hrs of sleep (or at least laying down pretending to sleep) each night, to see how that affects overall health and well being.  Up from the current average of about 7 hrs, this will require some non-trivial time management adjustments.  Perhaps the premium version will be released during or shortly after this period of hibernation?  One can dream.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2022, 08:51:54 pm »

...Might as well finish off this fort somehow.  I'll start an actual long term fort once the Premium version comes out.

I got a new idea for the obsidian casting automation:
  • A single big looped track, moving pressure plates forward or backward to adjust the timing.  On/Off being just a simple latch/reset loop, with an optional NOT gate on the output signal.
  • An AND gate stops the cart from reaching the ready/reset track stop by only opening a door when the magma and water chambers are ready (based on fluid level pressure plates).
  • Start/Stop to be done by setting the hauling route to push south always or deleting all conditions.
But as soon as designations were placed for the new track loop, the 11 elven caravans began their annual pause and re-center business, arriving randomly over a couple weeks, rather than all at once.  This year, having severely interrupted the crucial part of the planning phase of a new machinery project, the newly forged adamantine weapons might as well be tested.  The Elven civilization of Mocurisalore should be spared, out of respect for their ongoing giant grizzly bear trade, and the Befíthalefari for the now overpopulation of giant bobcat kittens.  They take THREE years to become adults.  Great war animals, sure, but the giant grizzly bears are adults after just 1 year, and run almost 1.7 times as fast.  The superior choice, given the luxury of such choice.  And trading with 11 elven civilizations for the better part of 29 years has afforded the dwarves here in the metroplolis of Kikrostorul, "Stockadeclosed" just that. 

To prevent maiming the master weapon smiths, Stockadeclosed has kept the justice system inactive.  A lot of dwarves are designated for beatings due to violating production orders.  It's not clear why 1 dwarf is chosen to be punished versus another, when many could all fulfill any of the demands.  But since the artifact adamantine warhammer Stukónutir Akamishlum, "Squashloot the Fortunate Nuts" was recently crafted, it might as well be put to use clearing dwarves off that list, while also sparing their "Fortunate Nuts"?

Described as "unquestionably weak", the new 17 year old hammerer Inodmonom was given Squashloot, valued at 1,039,200 dwarf bucks.  On the hammer is, in lapis lazuli, an image of a hydra rampaging and destroying 2 towns, a cave, and massacring a bunch of dwarves.  I picture it as essentially Trogdor burninating a bunch of villages.

Production was kicked into high gear forging adamantine long swords, battle axes, and spears.  The squad leaders each got masterwork adamantine long swords.  The remaining squad of elite guards all given adamantine long swords of exceptional or better quality, the remaining squad of guards all axes, and the remaining squad of recruits all spears.  Getting them all assigned by 39-02-04.

While designating all the worn cloths to be consolidated at the trade depot, 70 masterwork giant steel axe blades were found in the stocks menu and finally put to use fortifying the disaster of the 3rd cavern level entryway.

Meanwhile...

More rest, despite re-shuffling everything, seems to help solve many problems.  The daily 9 hr tax on freedom continues
« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 08:54:57 pm by Schmaven »
Pages: 1 [2] 3