Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can Elfs Create Civs In Jungles?  (Read 1086 times)

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly fails to become elephant man.
    • View Profile
Can Elfs Create Civs In Jungles?
« on: October 09, 2021, 04:59:09 am »

I intentionally created a world without a forest but elves established their setting in a jungle.
Does anybody know how to become an elephant man in adventure mode? I literally did all advanced world settings possible to increase chances.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can Elfs Create Civs In Jungles?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2021, 09:05:06 am »

A forest is a kind of jungle, you've kind of answered your own question. But its still valid if you consider how the biomes are classified.

Full list of biome tokens at the wiki but more specifically

Taiga Forest - Alaska etc.
temperate conifer - North american or east/north european forest
temperate broadleaf - West european forest
tropical conifer - China - In DF most bamboo is found here as well as pandas who graze on it, only hot climate with pine-trees.
tropical broadleaf dry -  Non humid jungle enviroment baked in heat
tropical broadleaf wet - African & South American Amazonian enviroment

In the simplest way, they will always start from a forest in the vanilla raw entity and can spread favorably across these biomes (with strengths shown as numbers)
Code: [Select]
[START_BIOME:ANY_FOREST]
[BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_LAKE:1]
[BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_FOREST:3]
[BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_RIVER:1]

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2021, 11:53:26 pm »

A forest is a kind of jungle, <snip>

Huh?  I thought it was the other way around?!
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2021, 03:39:02 pm »

I intentionally created a world without a forest but elves established their setting in a jungle.
How exactly do you define a "jungle"? Because the game certainly doesn't - as noted above (and on the wiki), there are no "jungle" biomes in Dwarf Fortress.
Edit: the string "jungle" does exist within the binary, but it's only used in a single location, which is to generate the name of a Titan - however, it's only used as an alternative to "forest titan", just as you can get a "sand titan" instead of a "desert titan". I'm not exactly certain what logic it uses to decide between them, mainly because my reverse-engineering tools don't cope well with the function due to its extreme size.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 10:59:15 am by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2021, 03:41:03 pm »

How exactly do you define a "jungle"? Because the game certainly doesn't - as noted above (and on the wiki), there are no "jungle" biomes in Dwarf Fortress.
Edit: the string "jungle" does exist within the binary, but it's only used in a single location, which is to generate the name of a Titan - however, it's only used as an alternative to "forest titan", just as you can get a "sand titan" instead of a "desert titan". I'm not exactly certain what logic it uses to decide between them, mainly because my reverse-engineering tools don't cope well with the function due to its extreme size.

When I looked on the map at the name of biome they spawned in this biome had a word "jungle" in it's procedural name.
Does anybody know how to become an elephant man in adventure mode? I literally did all advanced world settings possible to increase chances.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2021, 04:27:38 pm »

When I looked on the map at the name of biome they spawned in this biome had a word "jungle" in it's procedural name.

That's entirely due to the following lines in raw/objects/language_SYM.txt:
[SYMBOL:NAME_FOREST]
[S_WORD:FOREST]
[S_WORD:JUNGLE]
If you add more words in there, then they will be randomly incorporated into the names of forest regions.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2021, 06:23:19 pm »

That's entirely due to the following lines in raw/objects/language_SYM.txt:
[SYMBOL:NAME_FOREST]
[S_WORD:FOREST]
[S_WORD:JUNGLE]
If you add more words in there, then they will be randomly incorporated into the names of forest regions.

Alright.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2021, 08:30:35 pm »

Can you have a Taiga then that's named a "Jungle"?
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2021, 07:43:10 am »

Can you have a Taiga then that's named a "Jungle"?

Yes: