Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I Created A World With Maximum Rainfall Of 50 But A Forest Generated  (Read 1323 times)

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly fails to become elephant man.
    • View Profile

Is this caused by that I have both X and Y variants of rainfall set to 26? What do those values do exactly?

Also 1000 amount of secrets doesn't seem to spawn necromancers in world with only 50 historical figures being alive at once (like, I put 2 civs in a pocket world with no savagery at all and 20 megabeasts). I used legends mode to find a slab but there are none. 99 years of history gave no necromancers. I tried many times.
Does anybody know how to become an elephant man in adventure mode? I literally did all advanced world settings possible to increase chances.

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
Re: I Created A World With Maximum Rainfall Of 50 But A Forest Generated
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2021, 05:09:59 am »

Rainfall might be able to exceed the limits due to "rain shadow":  Mountains catch clouds coming from one side (e.g. west) and that side becomes rainier, while the other side (e.g. east) becomes drier.  You can try this by generating a rain map in legends mode.

Necromancer slabs only get created once somebody becomes obsessed with their mortality.  99 years might not be enough for people to get old, especially if there are so many murderous megabeasts killing off the populance.

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2021, 05:21:38 am »

Rainfall might be able to exceed the limits due to "rain shadow":  Mountains catch clouds coming from one side (e.g. west) and that side becomes rainier, while the other side (e.g. east) becomes drier.  You can try this by generating a rain map in legends mode.

Necromancer slabs only get created once somebody becomes obsessed with their mortality.  99 years might not be enough for people to get old, especially if there are so many murderous megabeasts killing off the populance.

So they aren't jsut randomly obsessed? They must get close to age of random natural death?
Does anybody know how to become an elephant man in adventure mode? I literally did all advanced world settings possible to increase chances.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2021, 05:32:20 am »

It can also happen after combat, I think, but it is rare. The chances of getting a necromancer by year 99 is low, especially with only 2 civs. You could lower max age for dwarves and humans to encourage the behavior.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2021, 06:57:26 am »

Also 1000 amount of secrets doesn't seem to spawn necromancers in world with only 50 historical figures being alive at once

I've understood the amount of secrets is just how many different kinds of secrets there are potentially available. Like, it depends on the secret what type of intelligent undead the necromancer can raise and the interactions said undead have (some can shoot icicles, some raise fog, etc.). The amount doesn't affect directly how many slabs or necromancers there will (or can) be.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2021, 07:37:57 am »

According to what I've heard, conflict (i.e. war) is something that tends to drive mortal races towards attempts at extending their lives (somewhat ironic, as war tends to lower the life span of everyone involved, and not aging won't affect that...).

You also need a sufficient number of people in the world to get a decent chance that someone will both strive for the secret and get it (as I don't think success is guaranteed, but the failures typically wouldn't end up in legends mode).

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2021, 04:39:08 am »

It can also happen after combat, I think, but it is rare. The chances of getting a necromancer by year 99 is low, especially with only 2 civs. You could lower max age for dwarves and humans to encourage the behavior.

I remember making a lot of worlds with 3 civs only: Humans, Dwarves and Elves. By year 50 there was always at least one necromancer. Number of secrets was set below 100 for sure. Maybe it's savagery actually increasing necroamncers or night trolls? I actually disabled night trolls. The only optional threats I set are very rare werebeasts (1) and megabeasts (4 with no titans). Pocket worlds feature 12 forgotten beasts as far as I know.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2021, 05:26:30 am »

Could be brushes with death from savagery, night trolls, and titans. I make quite small worlds, with proportionally small populations, so necros don't tend to show up until about 200 years in. More population will bring that number down.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2021, 10:28:21 am »

Could be brushes with death from savagery, night trolls, and titans. I make quite small worlds, with proportionally small populations, so necros don't tend to show up until about 200 years in. More population will bring that number down.
From what I've seen, you can improve this situation by providing a large number of civs, and ideally, one secret per civ.
An example worldgen, with 23 towers by year 200 in a pocket world:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
If you remove the seeds from that and generate a few worlds, you'll see typically the first towers appear around year 50.
And there's no goblins, demons, titans, megabeasts, or semi-megabeasts in these worldgens.  It's just humans, dwarves, and elves.
Increasing either the site count (at all) and civ count or secret count beyond 100 doesn't appear to have a dramatic effect on how many towers you get in the same amount of time. YMMV.
A lot of people have had this request " I want necromancers/towers everywhere! " over the years, and this is the most reliable method I know of to make that happen.  There are likely better methods, too.

To be clear, the method is: Increase the number of civs, and have the secret count equal the number of civs, so that there is at least one secret available, per civ, if that event should come to pass, randomly.  Once that's in place, the remaining challenge then is only to make a large number of civs possible (by providing the required racial starting biomes), but limit the overall population and site count, so worldgen doesn't take forever.  At least, that's what works for me.  8)

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2021, 09:22:07 pm »

You need to also adjust your drainage if you want a world with less vegetation. I just did a test with minimum temperature set to 50, rainfall set to 10, and drainage set to 10, with all applicable "minimum required" settings turned off (there's two sections for these with one at the bottom of the list) and had no problem generating desert worlds every time.