Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: What's going on in your legends?  (Read 8953 times)

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
What's going on in your legends?
« on: October 14, 2021, 10:24:22 pm »

Since I've had so much trouble in the past deciding where to post stories I've discovered just from reading legends, decided I'd just go ahead and create a thread for them. Kind of surprised one didn't already exist TBH. Anyway, feel free to post whatever epic, intriguing, or funny bits you've gathered from your worlds in the process of browsing legends mode.

To begin, while browsing the legends of one of my worlds generated with kiiranaux's Highfantasy mod, and I somewhat suspect this isn't intended to happen (maybe it's just because I'm playing with a mod) but it's pretty epic in any case...I had a worldgen dwarf necromancer lay siege to a vault and conquer it, successfully pilfering the ancient slab of power within. Guess life unending and mastery of others' souls weren't enough, this ambitious sonuvabitch wanted power over the very legions of the Underworld! It's just too bad the skink demon who forged the slab at the very dawn of creation already fell to a swamp titan in the midsummer of 49.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 11:01:57 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your legends?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2021, 10:52:36 pm »

Good idea for a thread, PlumpHelmetMan.

In Smallhands' world, if I remember right, the Dwarven Queen killed a cyclops, and a few years later, the cyclops' mother killed the Queen's son. Which is a tiny story that has stuck with me.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2021, 11:05:55 pm »

The dwarf cringed as the towering, one-eyed giantess had him cornered. She took a few final, thundering steps towards him, and raised one massive fist high into the heavens, directly above the young dwarf's head. The last words he heard before the moment of oblivion...

"Soon your mother will know how it feels!"
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 11:07:40 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2021, 03:04:03 am »

I have a world with two necromancer factions waring over a continent.  Here's a write-up I never posted to Bay12 before:

In summary, the necromancers spend their eternal life waring over ideology.  On one hand, theory-oriented and rule-focused Seals of Dominating, on the other hand results-oriented and discipline-focused Rough Paints.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2021, 08:27:38 am »

I will always treasure the little legend of Kubuk Townfeeds; a Dwarf who was slain in battle by the Hulking Monster Vukar Urndies in the year 41 whilst hunting great beasts in the Spidery Forest. Kubuk Townfeeds also ripped the upper body off of Vukar Urndies in the year 41, achieving a Dwarfy end.

Also the Rough Paints knows what's what.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2021, 08:48:03 am »

Love those necromancers.

Just dug around in a little world I'm playing in a bit to shake off some rust for community forts. The Legends of this world is pretty...Dwarf Fortressy:
There was once a dragon, but it was killed by a fiendish Llama Monster who also maimed a soon-to-be necromancer. That necromancer was killed by a grizzly bear. Not long after, the llama monster was killed by a polar bear. There was also a hydra, killed by a dwarf of such low status they didn't have a name.
Finally, the dwarven king did nothing of note until he appeared seemingly ex nihilo in 110. Suddenly king, he took to the battlefield and was promptly slain by...a polar bear...in 110.

This world honestly has some good punchlines.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2021, 04:56:28 pm »

In another recent modded world of mine there existed a dragon who created a pyromancy slab 14 years after his death at the hands of the dwarven hero Azizel Praseview in the year 165.

My headcanon is that he ascended to godhood in the afterlife, and from his perch in the Underworld he whispers the secrets of fire into the minds of those who would learn them.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 06:20:49 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »

qualiyah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2021, 08:50:56 am »

My dwarven civilization has a wombat goddess named Doren. She's goddess of the mountains.

A goblin of the goblin civilization known as the Bronze Sin founded a cult of Doren called the Sect of Amethysts. The cult is associated with the Bronze Sin, not to my civilization, even though Doren is obviously not a Bronze Sin deity. 

Over time, more goblins joined the Sect of Amethysts, but then the group was religiously persecuted and dozens of its members were expelled from the Bronze Sin. One of those who was expelled wandered around for awhile, became an abbot of a monastery for the Sect of Amethysts, and then eventually joined my dwarven civilization. I assume he was drawn to our civilization as a place where his worship of Doren would be appreciated rather than persecuted. He then almost immediately became king for some reason, and led the dwarves in many successful battles against the necromancers before eventually being struck down 20 years later in one such battle.

I just kinda like the weirdness of this little group of goblins deciding to devote their lives to the worship of a dwarven mountain goddess, with some of them eventually just joining the dwarven civilization and going native. It mirrors what you sometimes see in real-life small religious movements. Like, you can imagine that a lot of the appeal is just that this dwarven religion seems sort of exotic to them. Religious rites in an unfamiliar language feel like they might, at last, hold the answers you've been looking for.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2021, 09:02:56 am »

Plus look at Doren's snuggly little ears.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2021, 10:49:28 am »

I for one welcome our new messianic wombat worshipping goblin King. He just gets mountains, you know?

qualiyah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2021, 02:35:24 pm »

I had Doren's temple carved in the shape of a wombat face, and put caged wombats and giant wombats inside, so at this point it's basically a shrine to the adorableness of wombats.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2021, 06:57:19 pm »

Right now all my dorfs can talk about is the time a human tamed a falcon about 80 years ago. It was a legendary event, made an impression on everyone, and even 80 years later it's freshly carved all over the fortress, and we sell commemorative figurines of the event in rock, lead, and even gold.

I had Doren's temple carved in the shape of a wombat face, and put caged wombats and giant wombats inside, so at this point it's basically a shrine to the adorableness of wombats.

Written by someone who has never had a fencepost war with a wombat :)
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2021, 04:37:24 pm »

Hmmmmm... Lets see...

Some Hydra who devoured more than a 100 creatures...

A ton of FB's standing around in the undiscovered caverns they spawned in doing absolutely nothing for 1000~ years...

Gods that no one cares about...

Elves and Goblins covering the lists...

Useless guilds...

Epileptic-fit-inducing map overlays...

Some stupid artifact bracelet made of yak horn and donkey bone which is some loser families heirloom...

Aha!

An artifact bronze battleaxe, adorned with amber and jet and has bands of pig iron and engravings of donkeys or whatever. It was made in the mid-summer of 10, was used to kill a single goblin, then was lost in a tiny-ass patch of jungle, I think the "Hissing Jungle" or something, in the year 12, for the rest of time.

Ah,

Nothing that interesting. But I have a question. Can one find lost artifacts in adventure mode? I am up for the challenge, as soon as I grasp the workings of Adventure Mode.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2021, 05:29:22 pm »

This world has hidden history, my dwarves are slowly uncovering legends through travelling performers and through books. Carving murals of the history so I can learn about it. We gathered a few books, mostly nothing exciting except - More and More Dingo Men. A book which recounts a battle between a Nightmare Man and a Sullen Corpse Dingo Man. I wish I hadn't hidden legends so I can read more...

Nothing that interesting. But I have a question. Can one find lost artifacts in adventure mode? I am up for the challenge, as soon as I grasp the workings of Adventure Mode.

Not always. Some lost artifacts are just not kept track of in Legends mode and happen to be in the hands of some cyclops. Some artifacts are just lost and won't reappear for some time. I'm not sure what time scale it would be.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2021, 07:36:37 am »

I'm pretty sure, however, that you can find lost artifacts at least sometimes if you have the patience to look hard enough. In fact I wasn't aware that they occasionally cease to exist altogether.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 04:57:13 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
Pages: [1] 2 3