Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: How do you generally end up playing fortress mode  (Read 13078 times)

HMD Majesty

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes dwarfs for their stupidity.
    • View Profile
Re: How do you generally end up playing fortress mode
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2021, 06:12:58 pm »

I feel like I'm in the minority for generally doing roleplay-based forts

Like I can come up with cool projects specifically for the fort, but if I can't find something about the civilization or world setting I like and wanna interact with it'll be really short lived

We have always liked the Feeling of restoring a dwarfen Civilization, which is Part of why We continue to play the Way We do.  We suppose it is not roleplaying in the conventional Sense, but the Pretense of a Narrative and being Part of the World is still there.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2022, 05:03:50 am »

EXCEPT, right now I stopped playing DF because I was trying to design an optimal Squirt Gun defense megaproject, but need to get more clear on my definition of optimal, and also work through a few different minecart quirks before continuing.

Glad to hear you're still working on that, and curious what you will come up with! it's an eternal side project for me, but I haven't had any breakthroughs in a while. Still stuck on a compact loading mechanism that can reliably handle more than one cart every 5 ticks.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2022, 07:41:37 pm »

EXCEPT, right now I stopped playing DF because I was trying to design an optimal Squirt Gun defense megaproject, but need to get more clear on my definition of optimal, and also work through a few different minecart quirks before continuing.

Glad to hear you're still working on that, and curious what you will come up with! it's an eternal side project for me, but I haven't had any breakthroughs in a while. Still stuck on a compact loading mechanism that can reliably handle more than one cart every 5 ticks.
I'm taking long breaks between working on it, and expect I'll be a lot more active once the Steam version comes out.

Whew, faster than 5 ticks is ambitious. I'm aiming for 6-7 tick cadence, because when I tune for exactly 5 ticks, I have a hard time getting the sub-tile position reliable enough to keep it error-free. (This is probably a consequence of me using dfhack to move carts around because I'm impatient, so they aren't being reset to the center or edge of a tile like they would be if a dwarf placed them.) Larix suggested that 5 ticks is the theoretical best cadence for loading, and I haven't managed to beat that. Just like his, my water loader uses the checkpoint effect to teleport a cart into the 7/7 loading water at around ~20,000 - 30-000 velocity, landing near the far edge of the tile. Then it slows down quickly to <= 10,000, loads, and take another tick or two to exit the loading tile. Maybe with super-precise speed and sub-tile positioning, you could get it through faster, but you definitely need a checkpoint involved so the cart doesn't have to slog its way through the entire tile width. Basically I'm using the loader from his post adjusted to be tileable with 1 barrel per

For the cart loading/unloading mechanism, I do have a clear front-runner, but it's not compact. The idea is from where Someone Else 37 suggested using collisions to bounce carts out of a magazine stack. (Also suggested earlier, probably by Larix, but can't find the post right now.) I tried it and it works great and can be tuned to any tick cadence you want.

I moved the loading/unloading mechanism to be completely separate from the barrel loops when the cannon is firing. I don't really care how long it takes to shut the cannon down for cleaning and maintenance, so that can be slow. So, to shut the cannon down, I lower a drawbridge that allows all the carts to shunt out to a very long powered rail that dumps them into a minecart magazine (with one cart below the tile where they all pile up), which runs very very slowly, but does not jam because of the powered rail. You end up with lots of carts quantum stacked (as projectiles, technically, I think). Then I built a fast 2x3 loop next to the magazine with a 12 tick cycle, drop two carts in, and those carts alternate striking the magazine carts every 6 ticks, until the magazine is empty and those two carts become the last two entering the barrel. It does mean you need exactly the right number of carts in the magazine, or else you'll either have gaps in the firing cadence, or else jam the barrels.

The other thing I did was, since you need a powered rail to clear the cart from the firing tile fast enough, and I wanted 1 barrel per tile, was combine barrel loops, so when a cart dumps sideways, instead of bringing it back to the barrel that it just fired from, it starts the loop on the barrel row it was just dropped into. That means those groups of barrels are now one continuous loop where each cart cycles through each barrel. It also means that group of barrels can share a single loading/unloading mechanism described above. Bow now that magazine needs to feed all the barrels and will need dozens of carts.

The downside is definitely compactness, because while the cart magazine itself is 1 tile, and the loop to knock carts into motion is 2x3, you need that long hallway to collect all the carts and slowly drop them back into the magazine, with the stacking time delay getting longer with each cart. I haven't found a way around that yet, because impulse rails pushing on rows of carts will jam, so I haven't found a way to reuse the impulse rails from the barrel, and the two mechanisms are completely separate right now.

But with those, I have gotten a couple prototype designs firing with the 6 tick cadence 6-8 barrels (with no spaces between them!) firing, which is really a hilarious amount of water flying around a small space. Where I last left off, I was trying to tune the diagonal directions of the barrels to converge nicely on where enemies enter, because having dense barrels is only great if they're all firing in a useful direction instead of some just splashing on the walls 20-30 tiles downrange.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2022, 08:57:27 am »

Impressive, as usual!
I've been taking cues from you, Larix and Someone Else 37, but went with the opposite of clockwork precision: "Toss carts into an unpredictable mess built to settle into a functional rhythm. If it ever needs maintenance, redesign until it doesn't.".

Practical cadence is limited to 5-6 ticks by the simple loading trench: 4 is possible when overstuffed and carts jostle one another, but I can't make that happen reliably without frequent loading failures for a net loss. Maybe someone with a better understanding of minecart physics, timing and positioning could.
But 3 guns firing side by side is the best I can do, and with the middle barrel on the z-level below that's often inconvenient for the water supply.

That you managed something fast-firing that's infinitely scaleable is quite the feat of engineering.

The downside is definitely compactness, because while the cart magazine itself is 1 tile, and the loop to knock carts into motion is 2x3, you need that long hallway to collect all the carts and slowly drop them back into the magazine, with the stacking time delay getting longer with each cart. I haven't found a way around that yet, because impulse rails pushing on rows of carts will jam, so I haven't found a way to reuse the impulse rails from the barrel, and the two mechanisms are completely separate right now.
I may have misunderstood something, but the arrangement I use for my muzzle might work if you have the space:

╚╚╚╚╚╝■

Eastward-pushing roller on the last 2 impulse ramps, corner, stationary minecart. The rolles are supposed to make sure the first carts are cleared more quickly than later ones crash, and while I'm not sure how many rollers and what speeds are best, it seems quite jam-resistant.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2022, 08:59:47 am by Alastar »

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2022, 01:19:56 am »

Build a fort over the course of 8 hours, try to come up new dumb dwarf gimmick for the fort, either get killed by goblins, or retire the fort the next day to due to horrible framerate.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 03:56:18 pm by dikbutdagrate »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2022, 01:56:38 am »

I was looking through some old spreadsheets, the other day, and found one ('only' approx. eight years sat in some half-forgotten folder) which I had used to map out precisely the current floorplan scheme I use for forts to this day.

Well, not quite. I've augmented it a bit with mid-corridor level-changing ramps (probably for the last five years or so) to provide better-than-StackexManhattan travel options (the routefinding will hurt my FPS, I know, but typical game-time costs go down internally).

I could use this as a cue to 'mix things up a bit', but any changes I make will necessarily have to pass through many layers of inefficiencies before I can find a new paradigm to pursue that lets me exit the 'rut' but have anythibg like the same advantages. Perhaps I need to implement the inter-level minecart riding (as I long promised I would do) instead.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2022, 10:31:18 am »

I have the habit of exponentially expanding as I go, establishing every single industry, raking up on animals, repeatedly making stupid decisions and producing way too much food.

-I come to have 10.000 units of processed food at year 5, almost all of which are either cat or dog meat roasts.

-I casually slaughter cats and dogs, yet I seem to be unable to get rid of the booming population of sheep and goats. The pastures start to fill with all sorts of grazers I've collected.

-I keep buying animals from all three caravans on impulse. Exotic ones like langurs, bonobos or leopards go to the zoo where I have 10 lions stuffed into the same cage. And livestock just adds to the breeding population.

-My forts have beekeeping, papermaking, soapmaking, animal trapping and Armok knows what, all going on, even though there is no point, the 1000 rock crafts and cat/dog skull totems each decorated with spikes of cat and dog bone pretty much buys the entire caravan for me.

-The 3 squads are always established as soon as possible, and they constantly train until they become so OP, that the poor Titan/FB/Roc/Dragon/20-foot-whatever that attacks becomes clobbered into a thousand stray pieces before they can even come in.

-There is always just one, albeit reasonably large, main stairway, which the fort expands around it like a inverted, carved pine tree, each layer splitting into four separate halls, which the may also split into more, rooms being all dead ends.

-The stones that go into the quantum stockpile are gone. They don't exists anymore according to my brain. I consistenly have multiple stone shortages (Yes, amazing right?), and only after I get the stones I need, I remember that the massive non-euclidian pile of stone that I keep stuffing more into, you know, exists.

-Must completely dig out that ore vein/gem cluster. I MUST. I NEED TO HAVE IT ALL. I don't care how long it is and how many places it branches out. I don't care. IIIII NEEEED IIIIIT!!!

-Obsessively making so that everyone has a 3x3 room with a bed, chest and cabinet, all on the exact same places. NO DEVIATIONS, or else my brain throws its clothes around while babbling incoherently.

-I must have ALL of the seeds planted. And every plot must be 9x9, even if I only have a single longland grass/rat weed/fisherberry/Armok-knows-what seeds in the entire fort. Or my brain will set itself on fire.

-All the ''cool'' leathers must be made into clothing. That includes any type of shark, big cat, giant animal, and most impotantly, bonobo leather.

-All walls MUST be stone. I just automaticaly refuse smoothing gems or ores that I encounter while making new rooms or halls. I instead mine them off, sometimes completely, then wall the empty space off, creating an even uglier sight.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 10:35:56 am by Magmacube_tr »
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2022, 06:14:20 pm »

When I do play (haven't for a couple weeks,) I've taken to at least partially above ground settlements, if not fully above ground, with the main tavern and a non-denominational temple always being on the surface a short walk from the main entrance to help deal with cave adaptation.

Militia is preferred to deal with hazards, with traps used sparingly at choke points and corners more to thin out enemies than fight the battles themselves (traps can jam after all.)

Citizens are given a 4x4 or 5x5 home if possible, with a full suite of furniture and windows, at least one by the door if underground. Corridors are built less with efficiency in mind and more aesthetics, with underground areas featuring huge open calls with natural columns left for aesthetics.

The caverns are left alone for the most part, only being visited for mining and hunting expeditions.

If I build stone fortifications, I prefer to use gray and white stone as much as possible, with other colors being relegated to decorative use in statures or themed temples. Obviously though beggars can't be choosers and one of my best forts was built entirely in sandstone.

I have a few very particular designs for buildings I like, such as libraries. Tend to try and recreate them, though I definitely need to scale them a bit better since the issue of dudes spreading out was fixed.

Aerth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2022, 09:37:25 am »

I am glad to see people spending a lot of time to organize their fortress and their dwarves.. I see so many examples of very utilitarian fortresses..

I like to play with 200-300 cap.

Each of my dwarf/couple gets their own very simple room. But Founders (the original 7), Legendary or special Dwarves have their own habitation layer with lavish rooms, offices, corridors with fancy statues specially commissioned for them or depicting Legend stuff.

I have also layers for Temples, Guild Houses (all specialized dwarves grouped together by craft) with dedicated Dining halls, rooms, storage etc..
Obviously when a new leader arises he wants a new temple built for his favored god, or an existing one massively enlarged, with more personal, statues, instruments. A new richly decorated palace and other niceties to forget the lack of taste of the previous leader is a must.

Each squad gets also a casern, with dedicated rooms, dining halls, training fields. They become more and more decorated with honors/statues or just abandoned after a complete wipe out or a dishonorable defeat.

Everything is socially stratified, tombs, dinning halls etc..

Generally before the lag monster arrives I tend to have fortresses with a lot of 'history', abandoned places, out of favor temples, discarded Guild houses or caserns. It gives a feel of growth and decay to the place, at least for me.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2022, 12:47:13 pm »

I end up killing my forts fps with having too many animals collected. Especially rare and interesting ones I pick up from elves

I end up playing like this is pokemon trying to collect all the interesting animals and visitors

My current main fort I'm experimenting with having no more than 10 sheep
and a single generation of wardogs. By that I mean as soon as one generation of puppies grows up I sell the parent generation and any that are still puppies

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2022, 05:53:50 pm »

Except where otherwise useful for certain purposes, I tend to slaughter all but one (or two) male creatures and two counterpart females for each species (if I can even get that many). Whether it helps or not (probably not much) I choose to keep some interesting qualities (fur colour(s), or sizes) in the naïve hope that the resulting offspring exhibit a similar heritable mix.

(It's two females for generational productivity, two males is just a backup in case of accident/old-age/whatever. I always intend to keep a 'stud book' to study what might or might not be accomplished by what I do, but never quite sorted it out. The in-depth analysts of the game will already know everything you need to know, via DFHack's data-structure analysis, this is just an aspirational hobby of mine. And was originally complicated by spore-reproduction, of course.)

The young, of course, I tend to let accumulate until maturity. At which point I assess whether any of them look more attractive as 'keep stock' than the prior generation(s).

Thunderforge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2022, 01:36:07 pm »

I usually just make a mini fort over a few hours, get a population of about 30 and then get distracted and then decide I should have designed the fort the other way around, so start a new fort. As nauseum.

What I want to do is map it all out on paper and build Kazad-Dum so I can track the generation of dwarf-kin living in an eternal utopia.

Also modding the raws to include bits and bobs from fantasy books, and getting upset that the game has updated coz I don’t remember which mods I’ve modded and I want to use the latest version.
Klinka Na Karaz : Grung A Na Grungron : Az A Na Ankor
A Pick for the Earth : A Hammer for the Anvil : An Axe for everything else

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2022, 05:01:56 pm »

.... coz I don’t remember which mods I’ve modded and I want to use the latest version.

I keep a simpletext file in my Dwarf Fortress folder labelled "stuff to do when I download a new version" so that I can just cut and paste in stuff to add, and where I added it, when I mod something and like the modification. Also great for predicting new vanilla content. Older versions of my file have things like the original display case mod from before pedestals and stuff were standard, some random ridiculous weapon things from earlier than that, and different types of plants from before and after above ground farming worked the way it does now. The file is pretty slim these days. But it does help keep my new download nice and easy. It has a reminder for me on how to change print mode to Standard in the init/d_init files, for instance. I play on a mac, you see.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2022, 05:37:10 pm »

What I want to do is map it all out on paper and build Kazad-Dum so I can track the generation of dwarf-kin living in an eternal utopia.

SAME struggle similar desires

I got one fort going with a megaproject and my -slaves-, I mean dwarves tire endlessly to build it for me

but I also got a generational fort with a similar desire. I decided what works best for my brain is to break it up by generations:

Gen 1/Founders: Surface fort, roadways, relevant mines and quarry
Gen 2: Artificial cavern layer and building outpost/minifort in real cavern layer. Capture Most forgotten beasts rather than kill
Gen 3: Establish an actual fortress cavern society that doesn't see surface with a small surface caste to function with trade and moving supplies. Continue to dig downwards into other caverns
Gen 4: Have all caverns "tamed" with outposts on each level.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It sounds sort of ridiculous to wait that long to build each piece I wanna do, but by giving myself so much time to finish each goal I can kind of just say "I got time" and let the game run in the back ground.
Incrementally accomplish and give my brain that creative room to decide what the next thing will look like. Also sort of works because if you think about it all those ancient fantasy fortresses were developed over generations, even if the dwarves did have really intentional inter-generational planning, and so it can help create both an organic and also thoroughly complex and interesting fort
« Last Edit: April 07, 2022, 05:47:25 pm by Maloy »

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2022, 04:41:16 pm »

I tend to try playing fortress mode as some weird 4x game where I try to influence politics through capturing enemy territories. Obviously it never really works because the game isn't designed for that yet...
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4