Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can't get any companions  (Read 2503 times)

Grimm Spector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can't get any companions
« on: October 15, 2021, 06:13:19 pm »

Following the wiki guide for adventuring, starting off as a human, human settlements suck, no fortresses despite it calling me a fortress guard. No gear to loot. And no one will be my companion. I can ask peasants, guards, anyone, it doesn't matter. Either they say they'd rather not or they tell me their duty is here. I can't even find a way to check what the time of day is, so how am I ever going to not just have night fall when I am travelling and get destroyed by bogeymen? I have average social awareness so I don't know what the problem is.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Can't get any companions
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2021, 06:23:46 pm »

Guards and people with titles (noble, outpost liaison, consort) won't join you because of their duties to the location. That's going to always be true, basically.

The ones who would rather not are probably unimpressed by your deeds, as you haven't done much and don't look the adventuring type. If you can find drunks, they're usually up for anything. You can also get people to follow you as a performance troupe, which is easier to convince people to join. Otherwise, explore a bit, kill some bears or wicked monsters or something.

A list of all commands can be found here. 'W' will show you the weather and time, I believe. Although, since 47.00, bogeymen are far less common. You only need a companion if you're travelling through evil terrain.

The sun/moon are also visible while 'T'ravelling, in a way that I think is intuitive enough to know when its daytime and nighttime.

You can also start adventure mode with multiple characters now. May I suggest you just start with a band of adventurers if you find it so hard to get companions?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 06:25:33 pm by delphonso »

Grimm Spector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2021, 06:59:12 pm »

Guards and people with titles (noble, outpost liaison, consort) won't join you because of their duties to the location. That's going to always be true, basically.

The ones who would rather not are probably unimpressed by your deeds, as you haven't done much and don't look the adventuring type. If you can find drunks, they're usually up for anything. You can also get people to follow you as a performance troupe, which is easier to convince people to join. Otherwise, explore a bit, kill some bears or wicked monsters or something.

A list of all commands can be found here. 'W' will show you the weather and time, I believe. Although, since 47.00, bogeymen are far less common. You only need a companion if you're travelling through evil terrain.

The sun/moon are also visible while 'T'ravelling, in a way that I think is intuitive enough to know when its daytime and nighttime.

You can also start adventure mode with multiple characters now. May I suggest you just start with a band of adventurers if you find it so hard to get companions?

Ah I didn't realize what the stuff at the top of Travel was, so that's good to know. I managed to get a random axeman to follow me though peasants won't so that's interesting.

My understanding is that as a new Hero level character a bear will summarily destroy me without effort, so ... I guess I'll give it a try.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2021, 07:16:32 pm »

Adventure mode is deadly - there are a few guides on how to grind, though I prefer to just wander and die. Either way, good luck and have fun.

Look around for little caves or asterisks on the map. The asterisks tend to be marching armies, who might give you an idea of where things are happening.

Grimm Spector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2021, 08:08:52 pm »

Adventure mode is deadly - there are a few guides on how to grind, though I prefer to just wander and die. Either way, good luck and have fun.

Look around for little caves or asterisks on the map. The asterisks tend to be marching armies, who might give you an idea of where things are happening.

I'm finding the map dreadfully hard to understand, using Masterwork so I think it looks slightly different. The sun icon in T mode vanishes if I go south beyond a certain point and the screen darkens, no clue what that means.

Also can't find food, been in lots of supposed farmers houses in the two villages I've found but no food bags, gonna starve to death -.-

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2021, 08:13:37 pm »

You may be entering fog? I don't play Masterwork, so it could.be.something different. If the area is sort of white, it's probablt fog - the darkness and not seeing the sun is trying to communicate how hard it is to see.

Worse case scenario, find a bird or small animal and kill it. Butcher it for some meat. You might find bags of edible.crops in farmers houses.

Grimm Spector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2021, 09:53:12 pm »

You may be entering fog? I don't play Masterwork, so it could.be.something different. If the area is sort of white, it's probablt fog - the darkness and not seeing the sun is trying to communicate how hard it is to see.

Worse case scenario, find a bird or small animal and kill it. Butcher it for some meat. You might find bags of edible.crops in farmers houses.

Interesting. I found a bird but when I go to butcher it doesn't give me any options...so that's great. I don't know why I can't butcher. Google has not helped me. So I gave up on that for now.

Now I've run into a lair, that I think is a bandit camp a town told me about, but they don't seem to be hostile. I kind of don't want to attack them if I am not sure they're the bad guys lol. Wish I knew how to tell what faction they're part of.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2021, 10:21:25 pm »

To butcher, stand on top of a dead body with a blade (knife, sword, etc) and press x. Assuming you did that right, it may have been too small to butcher - as some animals are.

Yeah, it does feel weird going to bandit camps sometimes. They're not always aggressive - sometimes just chilling and will even talk to you. Adventure mode is all about this kind of thing - making up your own story. You can leave them alone, or slaughter them, or get killed by them - whatever you want - just keep your story rolling.

Grimm Spector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2021, 01:11:56 am »

To butcher, stand on top of a dead body with a blade (knife, sword, etc) and press x. Assuming you did that right, it may have been too small to butcher - as some animals are.

Yeah, it does feel weird going to bandit camps sometimes. They're not always aggressive - sometimes just chilling and will even talk to you. Adventure mode is all about this kind of thing - making up your own story. You can leave them alone, or slaughter them, or get killed by them - whatever you want - just keep your story rolling.

Yeah I'm finding it hard to find good sites, there's lots of indicators where I go there and there's nothing. Like every dark pit I've ever gone to, nothing there, empty tunnels. And lots of villages seem useless. I don't know how to turn in quests if I even complete them. The bandit camp I found was one dude and he ran away with both legs busted up somehow. Couldn't catch him sprinting.

I'd like to find better gear, but the villages are all naga villages which have gear I can't use. And even if I got a homestead going, which I'm not super clear on, I don't think advfort works so I couldn't craft gear even if I could find a way to get the materials.

Amaranth

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Dodger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2021, 02:05:23 am »

Peasants won't follow you the same reason if a gang banger or a dread asking you to roll around with them and do some jobs.
They aren't rejecting you per se they are just rejecting the idea of dying too early. You see when you are a peasant you are illiterate and have community fears instilled into you making you weak.
You probably understand and I'll stop here to prevent any further resurrections by god help me.

Grimm Spector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2021, 01:09:32 pm »

Peasants won't follow you the same reason if a gang banger or a dread asking you to roll around with them and do some jobs.
They aren't rejecting you per se they are just rejecting the idea of dying too early. You see when you are a peasant you are illiterate and have community fears instilled into you making you weak.
You probably understand and I'll stop here to prevent any further resurrections by god help me.

Yeah, that makes lots of sense, I guess a lot of that wiki is pretty out of date on some parts despite some items noting some of the later versions. Not sure why you're upset about resurrections of a thread within less than 24 hours that have been helpful to the original post. Thanks.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2021, 02:48:09 am »

The wiki can be bad about linking stuff, but I find it a reliable source of information. Some stuff may just need you to search for it specifically. Also keep in mind that Masterwork is a hell of a mod, and may change a lot. Hope things turned out a bit better - if it gets too frustrating, I would recommend getting used to vanilla first, even if it's just a bit of familiarity. It's much more digestible than the 20+ civs that Masterwork has.

Amaranth

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Dodger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2021, 03:55:54 am »

Yeah I would agree with sticking to vanilla. I've been playing adv off and on for years and its fine if you're autistic enough.
I have never played masterwork so I can't help beyond that.