Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: SeaMenace, A community Ship - Back to raiding  (Read 22983 times)

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
SeaMenace, A community Ship - Back to raiding
« on: October 18, 2021, 11:23:59 am »

Spoiler: embark (click to show/hide)
Six years ago we struck the earth, here in the Jungle just by sea.  And now our grand projects are at last complete.
Not the fortress, although there is a fortress it's nothing to speak of, it's just like any other you might find throughout our kingdom, the Lustrous Spear, although we have deliberately come quite far from the reach of King Zasit.

Since a time before time it has been said amongst the wisest dwarves that water is a curse from the gods, only there to drown us and burn our throats when booze cannot be had.
Therefore the ocean is truly a cursed place, water as far as the eye can see and a sickening open horizon that causes the plump helmet roast to rise from the stomach of even the best adapted dwarf.  Nonetheless, dwarves are not known to shy away from cursed places, and so, our ambitions coming here were:

One: Construct a drydock in which we could construct a seaworthy vessel before the dread salt-water surrounded it
Two: Construct such a ship
Three: Set sail and raid every town near the sea from the mired tundra in the south, to the Entrancing forest in the north for loot and glory, striking fear in all in our path

And we have almost completed steps one and two already:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Above is pictured the main deck of our ship, sitting in drydock, very nearly complete.  As you can see we are still in the process of removing the scaffoldings that were necessary for construction, in the south is the enormous marble floodgate that will allow the water in.  This ship will be well armed, with the finest in dwarven technology, the mighty ballista, ready to fire on enemies in any direction.  Also on this deck you can see the galley, the only stone part of the ship, including metal forges.  The aftercastle in the north houses a fully functional hospital and library on this level.
Going up first:
The three masts visible here go up several levels and include a fighting top (for shooting down with crossbows on any boarders) and a crow's nest.  In the south there's an archery range, as I'm sure crossbows will be very important in our travels.
You might also notice the lack of a figurehead, but we'll get to that later!
Moving back down:
Spoiler: deck two (click to show/hide)
The wisest of dwarven scholars claim that coating the exterior of a ship in copper will prevent the decay of the wood within, and that the ship can indeed still float if constructed so.  Putting our faith in dwarven scholarship we have constructed all exterior walls below deck out of copper (interior walls and floors are all wood still though)
We have also installed many gem windows through which we might peer out and glimpse the horrors that lie in the deep.  On this level from north to south we have some workshops, a taven/dining room and food storage, more workshops, barracks, weapon/armor storage and a temple complex.
Spoiler: deck three (click to show/hide)
In the top right is a well that leads down to our water storage, pump on this deck for purification, some excess bedrooms and a dormitory if necessary, some rooms for pastures (I had plans for pigs but my boar was killed by some pestilential undead Invaders, but I'll get more suitable animals if I can).
Spoiler: The hold (click to show/hide)
Down here is most of our other storage, some chains for criminals, and in the north water tanks for saltwater to be purified to drinking water.  (also a bonus ghost making an appearance)

So now you've seen her surely you agree she's the finest dwarven sailing ship you've ever seen?
What's that?  You haven't seen any others?  Well what about Bellsmaw?  Although they do say that's only a legend.

In any case, if you agree she's a fine ship I'm sure you'll agree she needs a fine name, and I'm open to suggestions, and also what to mount as a figurehead, (we have access to gold, silver, copper and brass for a statue) we have mounted a gold statue of a pond grabber on the crow's nest to give the proper idea of what's about to happen to anyone who spots this ship.

More than a figurehead and a name though, we need a crew!  Sign up here if you want to join us on our adventures, with a name, profession, and an indication if you would like to participate in raids or not (which will increase chance of death!), although all hands will be expected to defend the ship in the case of boarders.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2023, 11:14:47 am by neblime »
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
Re: SeaMenace, A community Ship
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2021, 01:03:06 pm »

Amazing, /in as marksdwarf. Don't send me on raids, don't think marksdwarves score very well for that kind of combat simulation

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2021, 04:51:50 am »

I want a sworddwarf and send him on raids so he can help claim glory in name of our ship.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2021, 06:26:59 am »

I've already found our theme music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJhF0L7pfo8

Also I'd like either a militia dwarf or a fisherdwarf
but if there's a lack I'll take whatever

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2021, 07:44:53 pm »

Sign me up, cap'n! A raiding hammer or sword dwarf would be great.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2021, 11:51:56 pm »

WINTER 257
The goblins and werebeasts were relentless but nonetheless our grand work is complete.  The ship is fully assembled and stocked, the scaffolds have been removed, and all that remains is to set her afloat.
At the suggestion of one of the crew we have decided to name our ship "The Lionfish", often admired for their venomous spines Lionfish are a suitably menacing icon of our vessel.
While still in drydock the crew of approximately 50 assembled on deck ready for the momentous occasion, here are the notable ones:
Spoiler: Metruption (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: King Zultan (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Maloy (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Farvin (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Smoot (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Delphonso (click to show/hide)

Now with all in readiness, a few dozen dwarves remaining behind to maintain the drydock in case we should ever need repair, we pulled the lever which opened the mighty gate!
The water flowed in with all haste and prodigious volume!  Truly the ocean must be as large as the learned dwarves say, as we did not observe the sealevel to dip even temporarily, even a little bit
The crew braced for impact, in some anxiety about whether the ship could really float carrying so much weight in copper.  As the water rushed over the ship, and all seemed well, and the ship took to the water most gracefully, the dwarves on deck doing their best to adapt to a floor that's always rolling back and forth
A GIF of water flowing around the ship
Before long the drydock was full, and the Lionfish was free to begin her voyage!  We cast off and proceeded away from the coast.
I am ecstatic to report the ship seems to be functioning just as intended! No leaks have been detected, the crew are going about their duties as expected.  The water purification chamber was a bit frightening, due to the pressure it filled INSTANTLY when the floodgate was opened, but luckily did not flow up out of the chamber at all before i closed the floodgate again.

Now there is but one question.  Which way do we sail first?
Spoiler: Proposed route (click to show/hide)
We could travel north, to the dread tower of AgeWards, from which many a foul horde has already assualted the drydock while under construction.  We could land nearby then march inland and get some vengeance.  There is certain to be many fine books and such we could make away with at that location. From there we could round The Gloved Dune and sail west, to strike at the artificial union, who has also been attacking us.  Remember that our kingdom, the lustrous spear, is far to the south so we may attack dwarves in that area with impunity too.

Alternatively, we could sail south among the weaker defended human and dwarf settlements, continuing south from there, there is an extremely divided area of human towns and forts, most of them independent that could make easier pickings while we adjust to sea life, and may have some valuable farm animals if not more exciting loot.

As you can see , we would eventually have to travel north past the gloved dune  to access the larger oceans anyhow, so I am inclined to leave the tower for later when we
have tested ourselves.

But what does the Crew think? And by the way if you want to join we may have occasion to take on more sailors at some stage so feel free to sign up with name, profession, and if you're willing to join on raids.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 09:19:17 pm by neblime »
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SeaMenace, A community Ship - Finally set sail!
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2021, 03:52:33 am »

As the only crew member to be counted in the captain's log twice, I say we take what's begging to be taken.

By that of course I mean route 2! Those hamlets, towns, and temples are taunting us with their riches!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2021, 04:05:51 am »

I second the motion to go after the towns and temples!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2021, 06:27:04 am »

Yeah route 2!

I'm not eager to become a zombie pirate already. but I have a shanty ready for that too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p34hQgvOpM8&t=39s

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2021, 06:47:17 am »

As the only crew member to be counted in the captain's log twice, I say we take what's begging to be taken.
Oh oops, consider the second one to be canon

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2021, 04:16:58 pm »

Yeah route 2!

I'm not eager to become a zombie pirate already. but I have a shanty ready for that too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p34hQgvOpM8&t=39s
Should have signed up as ship's bard heh

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes apple trees for their fruit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2021, 07:36:23 pm »

Are there any extra dwarves that I could be named as?
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.
I love dwarven status reports.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2021, 08:21:18 pm »

Are there any extra dwarves that I could be named as?
certainly, what profession?  And do you want to participate in raids?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2021, 08:39:53 pm »

Oh oops, consider the second one to be cannon

Keep it piratey.

I have a couple questions about the fortress, actually - but to not ruin the immersion, I'll throw them in a spoiler.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2021, 08:48:32 pm »

I have a couple questions about the fortress, actually - but to not ruin the immersion, I'll throw them in a spoiler.

*cough* mhm, yes what do you mean fortress?  we left that far behind?  we are running a ship!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11