Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fish in adventure mode  (Read 5706 times)

Grimm Spector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fish in adventure mode
« on: October 19, 2021, 12:07:21 am »

I can find them in rivers all the time, and I can grab them. They stay alive in my inventory, but I can't see to do anything useful with them. They have no "I" advanced interaction menu, I can't attack them, I can't wrestle them, I can't even throw things at them. It would be great to be able to use them as a food source. Am I missing anything?

Amaranth

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Dodger
    • View Profile
Re: Fish in adventure mode
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2021, 04:43:36 am »

Yes you are. Crocodiles and hippos are the best fish.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2021, 06:43:29 am »

Oh, those are the really small fish classed as "vermin." They live in the same category as mice and bugs where you can't really do much with them besides throw them at enemies or eat them if your character is starving. Or potentially bring your adventurer into a Dwarf Fortress to build the world's best aquarium

Grimm Spector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2021, 11:56:13 am »

Oh, those are the really small fish classed as "vermin." They live in the same category as mice and bugs where you can't really do much with them besides throw them at enemies or eat them if your character is starving. Or potentially bring your adventurer into a Dwarf Fortress to build the world's best aquarium

Ah I see, that's disappointing and silly ... but I guess it explains why my character just licks them when I try to eat them. Food in adventure mode needs some serious work.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2021, 12:13:39 pm »

Gutting fish with a small piece of knap-pebble, axe, or other sharp tool into prepared fish to cook on your campfire seems like a perfectly natural for the avid hand-fisherman caught in a desperate situation, same applying to barbequeing rats or quite literally creepy crawlers which fortress mode proves are butcherable 1:1 for a hunk of meat due to being all muscle.

Though there are dedicated tools for this (the process of slicing the fish, boning it, then carving & cleaving being tokenized) with impromtu hand-knives so perhaps it works differently in adventuremode in general? Go find as many tools off villagers and shops as possible and see if its doable to 'i'nteract.

Amaranth

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Dodger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2021, 10:24:13 pm »

Nah he is right. Food in adventure mode needs work. But its pointless until the digestive system works. Four lettuce leaf filling you up is redundant. Food always has the same quantity as any other food and that makes me feel like it's implemented horribly with the adventurer throwing up if he eats too much yet can still be starving. It feels like time bloat.
Makes me happy to be undead cause Im never asked to stop walking to eat two leaves out of 100 that just fill inventory space to use the horrible UI just to cycle through.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2021, 10:28:15 pm »

I guess it explains why my character just licks them when I try to eat them.

Gotta love DF sometimes.

It does need improvement - though I prefer it in its current state (easy) than something more realistic.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2021, 12:13:04 pm »

Eggs too. Can only lick them. Feels like the DF variation off of Revolutionary Girl Utena's Student Council mantra.

Orange-of-Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2022, 06:15:40 pm »

If Toady changes it, we'll probably be able to eay anything and we'll die from acidentally selecting to eat out backpack.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2022, 01:56:36 am »

with the adventurer throwing up if he eats too much yet can still be starving.

This is actually kind of realistic.  You can't bring someone back from the brink of starvation by stuffing them with food, it takes a longer peiod of regular adequate nutrition to recover.

I do agree that food in general needs a major overhaul.

If Toady changes it, we'll probably be able to eay anything and we'll die from acidentally selecting to eat out backpack.

Yeah probably, though replacing licking with an "are you sure" prompt would function well enough.

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2022, 09:55:37 pm »

You can't throw things at them but you can throw them at things!

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2022, 01:31:28 pm »

So...you can lick small toads?

Seriously, I would like to cook something at the fire I make before sleeping.  Of course, would that make cooking a skill we would have to worry about in adventure mode?  Would we have to wrap the fish in a leaf to keep it from burning?  How about baking or cooking with the cooling ashes of a fire?

It can get complex.
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!