Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fun things to do with necromancer prisoner?  (Read 1479 times)

pepimanoli

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Fun things to do with necromancer prisoner?
« on: October 14, 2021, 04:54:11 am »

I happen to have a caged elf necormancer in my fortress. This necromancer infiltrated previously and stole some crappy artifact (a leather skirt). My initial plan was to dump her from a significant height and forget about her, but maybe there is some way to make this more interesting. She is carrying a slab with the secrets, so I can turn some dwarves into necromancers too, but I'm not if that's a good idea. Also, the fortress entrance is full of goblin corpses, so there is material for necrowork.

Do you guys have any suggestion about what to do?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Fun things to do with necromancer prisoner?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2021, 05:15:04 am »

Unfortunately, dwarves won't read slabs (libraries only take books and scrolls). It is also a mixed bag. Intelligent Undead retain loyalty, but regular undead will go after your dwarves still.

You can trap the necromancer in a room with fortifications on two sides. If you put something threatening on one side, the necro will raise corpses they can see - such as on the other side. This can be used to resurrect dwarves who have died (but not buried) some of the time - random chance between intelligent undead and normal zombie.

Otherwise, you could do something similar near your front hall. Some well-placed drawbriges could allow you to raise a zombie horde on the next goblin siege.

You can check the community fort Smallhands - we experimented with this a lot.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2021, 03:20:46 pm »

Necromancer prisoners have many uses, so it's a good idea to keep them in storage even if you have no immediate use for them. Sicking goblin corpses on risky FBs or goblin sieges is always a cheap and easy use

You could make an undead bacon factory I guess.
When life gives you lemons, make bigger undead lemons

pepimanoli

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2021, 03:38:24 am »

Thanks for the suggestions, I don't really need a necrobacon factory, but a pit of undead goblins sounds pretty good, maybe I can find some way to make a moat around my outer wall and drop invaders there with all the zombies.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2021, 04:24:43 am »

Thanks for the suggestions, I don't really need a necrobacon factory, but a pit of undead goblins sounds pretty good, maybe I can find some way to make a moat around my outer wall and drop invaders there with all the zombies.

That sounds like a good idea.  Just be careful to restrict LoS to the zombies unless you want your dwarves climbing down into the moat to fight them.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2021, 06:15:15 am »

A cage full of undead linked to a lever/pressure plate is also another good one. Lets you make zombie landmines or undead bombs. Moats are good but pits are usually better, since you have more control over LOS / undead climbing out that way

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2021, 01:38:21 pm »

You can use it as a refrigerator of sorts. When a wild animal is killed (by your army or enemy action), you can revive it and keep indefinitely as a zombie. When you need meat, you can kill the zombie, and get fresh meat (or skin, or bones). You need to revive the animal before the corpse is rotten if you want meat, though.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey the Fist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2021, 07:10:17 pm »

I can imagine a story of a beauty and fashion obsessed elf who learned the secrets of life and death just to preserve her beauty (aren't elves immortal anyway?). Then she heard about the dwarves making the most outrageous skirt ever and she just had to get it.

Syndic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2021, 12:29:40 pm »

AFAIK, tame animals that die of old age cannot be butchered.
Maybe a captured necromancer animating them and you re-killing them could fix that!

(I doubt that's ever enough of an issue to bother with, but... ^^)