Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Musical instrument discussion thread  (Read 1384 times)

TheSteppeWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Надад чонын сэтгэл байна
    • View Profile
Musical instrument discussion thread
« on: October 24, 2021, 07:42:46 am »

Do you know how to play any musical instruments? At what level? I sort of know how to play an accordion, though my friends tell me I am not very good at it. I only saw a thread about sharing music links but not, about, discussion making music yourself if that makes sense.
Those who stomp on Mongolian land, will leave their lives on Mongolian doorstep.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Musical instrument discussion thread
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2021, 08:40:22 am »

Flute; very basic. Haven't actually touched it in years. Probably tarnished to all hell and in poor working condition on top of that.

I could probably play other instruments if I tried. Except I've tried to(decades ago) to play the trumpet, clarinet, and instruments similar to both and found I'm completely incapable of getting any noise out of them.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2021, 06:25:26 pm »

Harmonica, best of all - which isn't saying much.

I moved countries every year or two for a while, so the harmonica just happened to be the perfect instrument that I could actually take with me.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2021, 08:34:24 pm »

I learned a little guitar, a little piano--very bad at both, but they're fun. Mostly I think digital instruments are cool--if usually unwieldy.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2021, 12:59:44 am »

At one point, I could manage Copland's Simple Gifts on piano!

... that was pretty much it, though. Never put the time in after learning a bit in school to really gain much actual proficiency. I got a decent electronic keyboard in the other room, if I ever get around to mustering the gumption to relearn.

If you count "nearest available surface" as an instrument I'm pretty okay with impromptu percussion, though, generally. If you go further into whistling I'm... well, fairly mediocre, but did once whistle more or less nonstop for three hours straight.

Turns out there's whistling muscles and they can get sore. You don't notice that with normal whistling, but it's true.

Oh, and performance trick I learned from a pervert author, decades okay: If you're playing for a crowd and tapping your foot to keep time, tap with you heel. It'll move basically your entire body, makes for a more dynamic performance for audiences.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 01:02:12 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2021, 03:27:24 am »

Used to play the viola in elementary school. Basically a large violin.

Very limited experience with the piano.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2021, 05:07:20 am »

I played the violin and the viola during elementary and highschool. Even played in one of my country's largest classical youth orchestras and toured the world.

Haven't touched it for 20 years now though. I sometimes do touch my guitar, bass and piano though.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2021, 05:23:55 am »

What is a cheap instrument I can learn to play without pissing off a bipolar flatmate? Ideally something I can plug some headphones into

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2021, 06:20:37 am »

Electric guitar + amplifier + headphones works like a charm. Shouldn't be too expensive either, guitar stores usually have second-hand equipment as well as cheap starter guitars.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2021, 07:59:28 am »

IDK about bipolar flatmates, but the cowbell is cheap.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2021, 08:21:14 am »

electronic cowbell
at last I see the light

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2021, 06:23:45 pm »

French hornist primarily, trombone/tuba/trumpet with some rust (pretty sure I've forgotten all the trombone slide positions), and more than my fair share of dabbling across a piano/guitar/bass/bassclarinet (reeds, oogh, bad memories of wood and plastic vibrating through my jaw) cymbals, skin flute etc.

I thank the horn for my sense of pitch, I can generally tune by ear or identify a pitch, it's just got the caveat that home is F and F is C on a horn and boy howdy did I fail my scales back in school because I had no fuckin' clue what was where as a result. Concert Eb or bottom of the staff Eb, right?

Don't play nearly as often as I did in my school days, but I joined a community band recently and I come out of every rehearsal feeling rejuvenated. We get funny masks with flaps over the mouth bits that you can tuck your mouthpiece into in order to kinda sorta suppress the exhalation of spitticulate matter, which is considerate. No shortage of nose goblins there, even, but, well, if everyone did the right thing we wouldn't have a pandemic, right?

Closest I've come to making 'music' is hacking up voice lines from a video game in Audacity to make people say stupid shit. Not sure I have the bone for composition, but I do enjoy the performing!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2021, 07:29:40 pm »

I played French horn in High School and honestly miss the ability to blast a room with noise. The harmonica just doesn't have that power.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2021, 08:10:16 pm »

You just got to harmonica harder, del. Those things can shred like crazy if you're workin' them right.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2021, 11:08:21 pm »

Played a Recorder for almost no time as a young kid. I always felt like it was the poor man's flute but to my dad I think he figured it was a good musical instrument to try to get me involved with, that had a low barrier to entry and exit. :P

Also took a stab at the guitar about 15 years later, with similar results. I love music but I dunno, I've always lacked the discipline to learn how to play. I could manage a few chords by the time I was over the guitar but that's it. I totally appreciate the manual dexterity alone you have to practice and rehearse until it starts feeling natural and you're actually playing music instead of thinking about playing music. I just didn't want it that badly I guess. That and I've always found sheet music intimidating to read and remember despite several tries at it over the course of school. Musical talent has always seemed quasi-magical to me, the way any skill you don't possess does.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 11:47:36 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: [1] 2