Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What is the single most useless/meaningless thing in DF?  (Read 7031 times)

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is the single most useless/meaningless thing in DF?
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2021, 01:21:47 pm »

Most tree seeds are damn useless, they clutter your stockpiles and have an amazing trading value of 1, the only way of knowing how many you have is through the stockpile menu, the dwarves still have to store them and they'll generate jobs for that, they also count for the seed limit treshold.

<snip>

Hear! Hear!

I’ve been trying to figure out how to get rid of the damned things, but I can’t seem to trade them away without trading away all of my other seeds!
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2021, 04:19:39 pm »

I’ve been trying to figure out how to get rid of the damned things, but I can’t seem to trade them away without trading away all of my other seeds!

I just set all undesired seeds to be dumped from the stocks menu and obliterate them with an atom smasher.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2021, 01:11:01 am »

adamantine warhammers

are perfect for hammerers
(although featherwood crossbows will do in a pinch)

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2021, 06:37:29 am »

Levels, to riff off of Raph Koster, are often an enemy to simulation. Particularly when there are too many.

Categories of behavior would work better, because they would be fewer, and because the few would have more nuance.

*gestures to dabbling craftsdorf RNGing a masterwork, and unlike a moody dorf, they remain dabbling* >_>

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2021, 06:54:05 pm »

Most tree seeds are damn useless, they clutter your stockpiles and have an amazing trading value of 1, the only way of knowing how many you have is through the stockpile menu, the dwarves still have to store them and they'll generate jobs for that, they also count for the seed limit treshold.

My seed stockpile has no barrels or pots. It's just bags. Whenever the traders come, I can trade away any bag of tree seeds easily, and buy bags to replace the bag stockpile (or leather to make more bags with). I like this method for roleplay reasons: The elves buy all my tree seeds. I also like it for cancellation spam reasons: no cancellation spam when my farmers are planting crops, as they all get a different bag from the seed stockpile, instead of trying to fight over the barrel of seeds when one dwarf wants beet seeds, the next wants blueberry seeds, and the third dwarf wants to plant pigtail and they're all in the same sodding barrel. Seed stockpiles are just better if you get rid of the barrel problem.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Nidor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2021, 06:32:46 pm »

Civilized humanoids having bite attacks. Better off being cut IMO until the AI gets to the point where it can recognize situations where biting would actually be appropriate (e.g. when your limbs are bound or missing).

Not quite as far-fetched as you would think. Was a fairly common thing in fights in early American History apparently https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gouging_(fighting_style)

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2021, 10:02:55 pm »

Levels, to riff off of Raph Koster, are often an enemy to simulation. Particularly when there are too many.

Categories of behavior would work better, because they would be fewer, and because the few would have more nuance.

*gestures to dabbling craftsdorf RNGing a masterwork, and unlike a moody dorf, they remain dabbling* >_>

It’s not called the “random number god” for nothing!
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2021, 11:16:06 pm »

Civilized humanoids having bite attacks. Better off being cut IMO until the AI gets to the point where it can recognize situations where biting would actually be appropriate (e.g. when your limbs are bound or missing).

Not quite as far-fetched as you would think. Was a fairly common thing in fights in early American History apparently https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gouging_(fighting_style)

Welp, Jebediah done shook Judah around after he latched on with a good bite. It sundered many ligaments in Judah's body. His father is stricken with great grief.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2021, 10:00:09 am »

I feel obligated to provide a comedic counterexample.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Dylan Ail Don

• Bay Watcher
  • Vanitas vanitatum et omnia vanitas.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2021, 05:52:00 pm »

Legendary Cheesemakers.

By the way, the whole cheese maker skill is useless. It would be far better if cheeses were made by cooks, or at least if cheese had quality modifiers.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2021, 03:48:57 pm »

Gnomeblight.
I must disagree, while gnomes are rarely a problem, and manufacturing this substance is annoying and using it is nearly impossible unless your entire fortress' goal is to use it, I still think it's useful. As an interaction example. Just another one of many, like venoms and other syndromes for people to look at and gain a slightly better understanding of how to mod raws.

But yeah that's only on an out-of-game context. In game it's fucking useless lmao.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2022, 06:13:56 pm »

Children.
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2022, 07:36:41 pm »

Animal caretaking.

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2022, 08:48:50 pm »

wood block

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2022, 04:43:14 am »

Prepared monarch butterfly brain. Like, how does that even look like?!
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!
Pages: 1 [2] 3