Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: Oh jeez, Quicktopic is shutting down  (Read 54888 times)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Oh jeez, Quicktopic is shutting down
« on: October 24, 2021, 12:22:50 pm »

Link.

This has two major implications for us of Bay 12 Mafia.

1: We need to find a new source of archiveable, easy-to-use private communication.

2: A large part of our historic and notable games is contained within the various private chats. With Quicktopic shutting down, those will be erased. We need to figure out a way to save that data and store it in an accessible location.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Oh jeez, Quicktopic is shutting down
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2021, 12:57:45 pm »

We could use Discord. Not only is that easy to generate message boards, servers, and all that, but it can also be automated.

As for preservation, we can use a variety of things, from image hosting to pastebin.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2021, 04:28:29 pm »

"To save your message board contents, you can do the following: In the lower left corner of your message board, tap the Print link. That will take you to a page with some options. "
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2021, 06:52:45 pm »

It says it'll shut down on December 11, 2021 so I could save copies of everything I have before then and post them here.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2021, 07:10:28 pm »

I'm not sure I even still know what all the QTs from my game *were*, since there were, uh, 6 of them, was it? Hopefully people will save them!

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2021, 08:33:19 am »

Priority-wise anything from the notable games archive should be looked at first, I would think.

Skynet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2021, 08:57:44 am »

I can also try to help out in the archival process, having previously archived a forum scheduled for deletion last year. I will need to find all the quicktopic links in this forum though.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2021, 09:37:21 am »

A list of all my quicktopics that I've been in.

Spoiler: Links (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 08:19:20 am by TricMagic »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2021, 10:47:30 pm »

Hmm, guess I'll have to go through and archive all my stuff. There is a fair amount of it!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2021, 10:01:12 am »

Here's everything I have saved and zipped together in a folder.

This probably has a couple random non-mafia stuff as well.

Not sure of a good way to preserve online easily without just downloading the html files.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2021, 02:15:08 am »

Posting to show my interest in joining the archival efforts. Certain standout games are missing from the notable games archive, like Vector's masterpiece The Lonely Prince: He Who Shall Serve (also known as princess mafia). I swear it used to be there cause I can't imagine how else I could have discovered it.

Anyway, I'll be archiving that as well as other games. I'm a foolish optimist who wants to archive the quicktopic of every single game on this forum. In a week or two I'll tell you how much progress I actually made. Then I might adjust my priorities.

We're also gonna have to figure out a method of hosting this.

This really sucks no matter how you put it.

Quick notes based on early efforts:

-Initial testing with wayback machine failed. You get the first page, but none of the buttons work. What makes it worse though is that quicktopic buttons somehow manage to navigate through a page without changing the link, so you can't even archive all of the pages individually. Shame, it would have solved the hosting issues.

-Using Quicktopic's print page feature in the bottom-left corner gives you a pdf of the topic in "all messages" mode. This gives you all of the information needed for a game. It is adequate. Will need to find a way to host.

-New Breakthrough, you can switch the quicktopic page to "all messages" mode and then click the print "Show printable page". This link actually changes the URL, and thus can be pasted into the Wayback machine and be saved properly. I tested it and wayback lets you see the print preview of the page! The final link is incredibly long, but this is a method I consider "complete".

EDIT:
Important note: You have to immediately click "Show printable page", if you change any of the settings then wayback fails to archive the page for some reason. This poses a problem for multi-page quicktopics. The solution though is to simply click the "All messages" button before you click the "print" button. Then immediately click "Show printable page" like usual.

-Wayback machine is not searchable though, so it's important to keep a copy of the links after you archive them. Thankfully, links are easy to host. You can host them on these very forums. The utopian in me imagines a day when someone makes a bot moderator that crawls through this board and replaces the old quick-topic links with the new wayback ones.

Anyway, that's all I have for now. I'm gonna try to do as many of these as possible in the next couple of weeks. There are around 650 games here in total so hopefully Wayback doesn't get mad at me for making so many of these. I'll report any issues I find.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 05:29:19 am by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2021, 05:21:58 am »

Oh no. I wanted to try to help, but I just get a 403 Forbidden.

Oh no - the KYOSN chats. ;(
« Last Edit: November 08, 2021, 05:23:31 am by TolyK »
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Skynet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2021, 06:53:35 am »

Anyway, that's all I have for now. I'm gonna try to do as many of these as possible in the next couple of weeks. There are around 650 games here in total so hopefully Wayback doesn't get mad at me for making so many of these. I'll report any issues I find.
Thanks heydude6; this idea is far more better than what I was thinking (which was essentially downloading a copy of each quicktopic's "print page" PDF). Let me know what links you have already archived...perhaps we could divide up the load so that Wayback sees this as two people uploading stuff instead one person uploading stuff? Perhaps they won't get as annoyed that way?

EDIT: Alternatively, maybe Wayback just has a cooldown mechanism, which may mean that saving 650 pages may very well be doable.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2021, 07:25:12 am by Skynet »

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2021, 07:26:51 am »

Can’t you use PM’s for private communication?

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2021, 07:42:05 am »

We can use PMs, but having scum chat in PMs is difficult (not to mention spammy for the GM :P ).

Wayback only shows the last page of comments, which isn't very long. Trying to click "all messages" doesn't work for me.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11