Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I am planning out a series of hard SF stories  (Read 2382 times)

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
I am planning out a series of hard SF stories
« on: October 26, 2021, 02:29:17 am »

I think I said this elsewhere but it's going to be buried in a megathread soon, and I didn't provide many details. In short, the only very implausible thing is that FTL exists. Many of my plans are spoilery so I'll only provide vague details, but the key points of the setting:
  • In 2031 (at the start of the first story it's 2121), a FTL drive was discovered by a brilliant Russian scientist, Viktor Ugolnikov due to an unexplained (in the story) "loophole" involving exotic compounds in a helium-3 atmosphere producing a warp bubble when pumped with electricity, allowing travel to other star systems in a matter of days (it still often takes weeks for medium-distance stars). But there's a catch: it only works outside a star system's gravity well, requiring conventional propulsion to get there. Yes it's handwavium but I wanted insterstellar colonies that were dependent. The One Big Lie.
  • The Earth gradually united under the UN, however it is a very loose union, closer to a confederation, and countries still exist and compete with each other for colonies. The Moon and Mars are fairly developed while exoplanet colonies vary, especially those close by, while the frontiers are often lawless and full of organized crime.
  • There is no FTL communication, so data has to be sent via probes, there are entire depots at the edges of "safe zones" surrounding systems (around the orbit of Pluto for Sol) to process and send vast amounts of information. Research ships have to live to tell the tale.
  • Alien contact happens somewhere during the first story. The aliens often are, well, truly alien. There are many species and only some are humanoid.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: I am planning out a series of hard SF stories
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2021, 02:50:00 am »

I'm interested to read, Max. I love Sci-Fi but haven't touched anything made in the last twenty years or so, I'd guess. The whole - One Big Lie thing doesn't bother me in the least, and in some ways I prefer a bit of mystery to how things work.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2021, 04:44:35 am »

How long you planning on making it?

Also what is The one big lie, don't think I've heard of that before.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2021, 10:42:49 pm »

How long you planning on making it?
IDK I'm still in the planning phase. Could be a novel, could be a bunch of short stories.

Also what is The one big lie, don't think I've heard of that before.
It means a setting with one majorly implausible thing.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2021, 10:19:15 am »

If FTL only works outside of a star's gravity well, how far away do you have to actually get and what kind of propulsion do the ships use for sub-FTL speeds?  You're looking at potentially months of travel to get to those points at human survivable accelerations, which would be a bit ironic but perhaps interesting if the FTL component is then a breeze.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2021, 05:34:22 pm »

This is what suborbital flights would be like. Frustrating two hours of traffic, security checks, baggage checking and then 45 minutes to the other side of the globe.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2021, 09:44:26 am »

If FTL only works outside of a star's gravity well, how far away do you have to actually get and what kind of propulsion do the ships use for sub-FTL speeds?  You're looking at potentially months of travel to get to those points at human survivable accelerations, which would be a bit ironic but perhaps interesting if the FTL component is then a breeze.
Fusion drives (torchships!) make it less than the current travel times but yes, interstellar and even interplanetary flight is something... well it's not particularly rare but it's not something you do often. Most people who don't have some sort of business requirement or just straight up a wanderlust stay on their planets, at most visit the other planets in their system.

The story itself BTW is about the crew of an exploration ship roaming outside human-settled space-- automated probes aren't very practical for such things because general AI is, despite its advancement, prone to strange decisions and the fact that at the very least a FTL probe needs to be sent back from a surveyed system (you're looking at years of lag if you tried to remote-control it, untenable). Slightly contrived but I want a story about humans.

Also poring over sites such as Atomic Rockets for my research is pretty fun.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 09:47:26 am by MaxTheFox »

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2021, 05:59:30 am »

Should I post this chapter-by-chapter in a separate thread here?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2021, 12:48:19 pm »

Here is probably as good of a place as any, unless you expected to start more discussion here that you didn't want to get mingled with it.

The NaNoWriMo thread could serve as an alternative if you wanted to keep it separate.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2021, 02:43:23 am »

Posting it in your thread about it seems like as good a place as any.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2021, 03:40:42 pm »

You won't make money if you post it here, but hey wherever your story can find a home I guess.  My thought process on my book was possibly to post a story here, then shunt the rest elsewhere.  I mean, people can certainly steal my one story, but they can't steal the rest of my unwritten material.