Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14

Author Topic: Dark Designs: Turn Two-Battle Phase  (Read 11500 times)

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dark Designs: Turn Two-Battle Phase
« on: November 03, 2021, 09:28:15 am »

There you were, living your life. Maybe you were a bad person, and so you couldn't be too surprised to have received such a letter. Maybe you knew you were destined for greatness, and so the summons was no more than your just due. Or maybe you were with your family, in love and happy, and was horrified when a twisted hand reached out from the pool of blood and handed you a letter that ruined it all.

Quote from:  A letter given from an ominous pool of blood appearing from a crack in the floor.
Greetings to my most Dark and Terrible Councilor,

Yes, the letter is for you. You may be surprised or stunned (perhaps even outright distraught!) to have received this message from your Darkest Lord and God. Do not worry, I am a “sometimes” forgiving Master, as you will learn!

Ahh, you may say, “Well, I do not recall ever signing my immortal soul to the Iron Tyrant of the North, Lord and Master of Ur-Garoth!” Luckily for you, one of your ancestors from a thousand years ago swore their souls and the soul of one of their descendants to my service.

Or, perhaps, unluckily.

If you are stuttering in disbelief or terror right now, breathe.

Take some time to process things, it is not everyday that a pool of blood forms and hands a letter to you. Though, honestly, you can’t really be too surprised to see that the message within is claiming your soul and eternal service.

Okay, have you collected yourself? Excellent, that is the poise I expect out of a future Dark Councilor!

You see, I am in a bit of a situation. Have been for some time. The Three Gods of Light (my condolences on being forever damned, by the way, feel free to take another breather) defeated me and sealed me beneath the ruins of my own citadel. They did a rather thorough job, but not a perfect one. They entrusted the maintenance of my prison to Man, and Man has grown rather forgetful and lax in keeping me sealed.

The wards binding me are the weakest they have ever been. I can almost escape, but that would doom me. The Three would be free to confront me in the fullness of their power and seal me away for good.

But!

As long as I remain in my prison, the Three dare not directly encroach upon the world, for that would let me free in the fullness of my power as well. The devastation our fight would cause would be cataclysmic. And so they will not directly oppose me, preferring to let their mortals “show bravery and valor” and the “power of love and friendship”.

Let them have it. We, my most Dark and Cunning Councilor, will build an army.

An army that will crush all in its path, that will tread upon hope to reach the very gates of Heaven. Red shall cover our steel, and fires of our hatred will burn against this world. Fate will oppose us, but even should we fail I promise that a thousand years from now they will speak of our Legion of Darkness in hushed whispers.

Join me, come to Ur-Garoth, and take your place upon the Dark Council.

Or don’t, and I will come to you.

Signed,
The Doom of the World, Darkest Lord and God, Iron Tyrant of the North, Master of Ur-Garoth

Welcome to Dark Designs, where you design and lead the armies of said Dark Lord to conquer the world. About half the game is creating and voting on Designs for your army, like in an Arms Race/Design Bureau. The other half is directing your armies on the field of battle. There may also be bits where you can RP your Dark Counselor.

All players are on the same team, working to overcome the forces of Goodness and Light through (possibly) cunning strategies.

This will by my first time running a game like this. If this is your first time in a game like this, please feel welcome! If you are an experienced veteran of many Arms Races/Design Bureaus, also feel welcome! I am not a veteran of many games, and am not trying to replicate those game's experiences. Keeping that in mind. . .

There are 3 “Phases” of the game. The Design Phase, where you come up with original creatures, unit types, and spells. The Revision Phase, where you can make alterations to existing designs and create variants of the units. And then we will have the Strategy/Battle phase, where you will guide your army in key battles.

Design:
   Here you design or create creatures, units, spells, or infrastructure. Provide a name, at least a sentence or two of physical description, and what they do/what role they provide. I will role a d6 to give the results of the production of the design. You will have at least one design in each category (Shaping, Artifice, and Magic) and an additional design for a category based on which Lord Archetype was chosen. You can design Champions, skilled units that you can direct on the battlefield.  Designed Champions (vs revised Champions) are functionally immortal, either because they are actually immortal or the position is inherited by a successor who is as skilled or even more so. Champions can and will fall in battle (often to opposing Heroes), but designed Champions will return.

Shaping Designs:
   Here is where you design and create the dark creatures that will enact your evil plans. You can create both humanoid-like creatures (like the orcs you start with, skaven-like beings, or even humans) alongside monstrous units (like trolls or dragons). Note, recruiting from a natural population will be the same difficulty as homegrowing one. Mounts would also be included in this category.

Artifice Designs:
   These designs are for the creation of equipment for you minions to use, and how they use them. Examples would be units (like heavy infantry or archers), machines (like catapults), and artifacts (like an Ultimate Evil Sword of Darkness). You include all the equipment that a unit might need in a Design, so heavy infantry equipped with heavy armor, sword, shield, ability to use them and desired role of the unit would all be a part of the design.

Magic Designs:
   Magic Designs are the designs that are concerned with spells and spell casters. Your avatar will most likely be able to cast any spell, and spell casters can combine their power to cast a spell at need, at the cost of efficiency. Spells (like fireball) and spellcasters (like acolytes) come in tiers, with higher tier spellcasters being able to cast spells at equal or lower tiers.

Spoiler: Rolls and Difficulty (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Infrastructure (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  Unit Tiers (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Revisions (click to show/hide)

Strategy/Battle:
   This phase is where you will direct your forces in battle. Depending on the size of the battle, and the organization of your army and leadership capabilities, you will have a variable amount of units to give basic orders. Orders will be more along the lines of which flank to attack, and how many to hold in reserve, vs detailed orders. Your champions may receive more detailed orders depending on the situation. Your avatar will also be able to perform special actions or rituals. There will be at least two phases to every battle, and possibly more based on how the battle goes.

The Three, All that is Light and Good

Opposing you are the forces of Light, and a powerful foe they are. The Three themselves will eventually come for you, but they will give an opportunity for their mortal servants to prove themselves in defeating you. In facing you directly, they would weaken their own bindings on your power, and the battle between you would be ruinous. So as long as their mortal followers have a chance at victory, the Three will refrain from direct action against you.

Their aid will likely come in several forms.

First, they will bestow Providence, from the Fateweaver. Fortune and good luck will favor their forces. Their scouts will stumble upon your ambushes, their cavalry will arrive when you are at your most exposed. That archer will land the one-in-a million shot that will hit your favorite dragon’s one vulnerability. . . But Providence is limited. It cannot turn a total defeat into an outright victory on its own, and there are only so many times the Fateweaver can twist one’s fortune until it snaps. It is an advantage, to be sure, but it can be overcome with cleverness and varied approaches.

Second, they will bestow Armaments, from the Warrior. Enchanted with the light of the heavens, they have the power to destroy you. They can rend your magics and your most fearsome armor. They overcome any enchantment or curse you place, given enough time. Luckily they are rare, and you can corrupt them to your own purposes should you win them in battle.

Lastly, they will be led by Heros, chosen by the Mother. They carry the banner of heaven into battle, the greatest of your foes. They possess supernatural skill, stronger than the average mortal, and can call upon the powers of the Gods directly.  They are granted Providence in abundance, and often wield the deadliest Armaments. To counter them you can raise up your own Champions, and defeating them can yield valuable rewards.

Of course, you are the Dark Lord, in whose shadow the nations of the world tremble. You have cunning, and the power to shape that cunning into weapons and creatures of war. Your knowledge is vast, having seen the birth of the world and it’s shaping. Vast armies will answer to your call, and earth-shattering magics bend to your will. Who else could oppose you except those blessed beyond measure?

But first, you need to remember what you were. . .

Creating the Dark Lord

Name:

Form: What shape does the Avatar of the Dark Lord take? Additional bonus if you include a feature that can change as the Dark Lord grows in power.

Archetype: Determines which additional Design you may use, and general methodology in creation and battle. Archetypes include:

A. The Shaper: Receive a bonus Design concerning creation and mutation of monsters and biological modifications(Shaping Category). You forge creatures as others would weapons to better serve your purposes. Example: Dragons, Berserker Orcs
Beneath your fingers you shape and fold life and magic. From spawning vats to egg hatcheries, you have become a master of creation and distortion. To you, the laws of nature are more like … suggestions.

B. The Artificer: Extra Design concerning machines and equipment(Artifice Category). Also includes the training of units. Example: Dragon Riders, Doom Catapults, Legion Captains
You were there when the laws of the world were spoken into being, when the mountains were raised and fire discovered. But it was the workings of the mortals that seized your heart.

C. The Sorcerer: Extra Design concerning magic and spellcasters (Magic Category). Deals with both creating spellcasters and their magic they can use. Example: Raise Dead spell. Dark Wizard (III)
Twisted and fickle, magic came back to your hand. You know and love it, for its terrible beauty and enchanting destruction.

(First we need to make our Dark Lord! If you want to RP as your Dark Councilor feel free. Ask if you have questions about the rules if there is anything unclear. Your First Design phase will take place once the Dark Lord is decided upon, and I will lay out your first challenge in conquering the world.)

« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 08:35:53 pm by chubby2man »
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Designs
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2021, 09:28:33 am »

Your Designs (Starting):
Spoiler: Designs (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Champions (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Minor Champions (click to show/hide)

Forces of Light

Spoiler: Kingdom of Iserria (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: January 03, 2022, 02:03:39 pm by chubby2man »
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2021, 09:29:08 am »

(Also Reserved Just In Case)

You can vote for as many Designs as you want, and for your own Designs. Top two in Artifice will be chosen, top one in other categories. You can make a High Effort Design, combining two categories for additional power and a +1 to the roll, but the High Effort Design needs to be one of the winning votes in both Categories (So you would need to vote for it twice).

Quote from: Example Vote Box
Shaping Designs

Name of Design A: Voter A

Name of Design B: Voter A, Voter B

Etc.

Artifice Designs

Name of Design C:

Name of Design D:

Magic Designs

Name of Design E:

Name of Design F:

« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 08:00:52 pm by chubby2man »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2021, 10:37:58 am »

He awoke to a sound of steam. Grabbed a shortsword, pushed through the flap of his tent.

His firepit was unfortunately filled with blood. There was an arm sticking out from it, with a letter. The scroll was singed at the edges, though thankfully it didn't look like it had actually gotten wet. Hmn.

The traveler plucked the item from the arm's grasp, after which the appendage promptly withered away into the pool it had sprouted from - though the blood was still there. Annoying. He'd have to make a new fire.

The letter unfurled, and he read.
He read it again. A third time, just to make sure.

He sighed. For all he'd been told that the family was sworn to the Dark Lord, he hadn't exactly believed it. That all had happened gods-knew-how-long-ago (well, he supposed they really did know...). He thought it was just a story as to why the firstborn adopted the mantle of the Traveler, set out across the world. It wasn't supposed to ever come to anything. He hadn't even been one of the assholes - and oh, the stories of nefarious Travelers were plentiful, just as much as those telling tales of Travelers who did good to all they met. He supposed he was in the middle, really - honestly, most of his ancestors likely were. Everyone knew how old stories got blown out of proportion by time.

Not this one though, apparently. Unfortunate. But oh well; he'd always been interested in finding Ur-Garoth. The specific location had been lost to time, but what records he'd found in his journeys pointed at the very least to an approximate destination. If the Dark Lord truly was back, then once he was nearby, it was unlikely to be difficult to find them in particular.
Very well then. Destiny called, even if he'd have rather it hadn't. Nothing for it now but to answer.

The Fateless Traveler, last of his line, broke camp and set on his way, the sands of time shifting at his heels. Onward into tomorrow, as it has always been.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 09:51:51 pm by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2021, 12:16:46 pm »

It seems that the archetypes are limited to just three, one each for the three design categories?

Spoiler: But Magic, Though (click to show/hide)

Got to leave but I'll be back later and maybe by that time I'll remember whatever it was I wanted to change about the appearance, hehehe whoops.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2021, 12:23:49 pm »

In
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2021, 12:38:45 pm »

It seems that the archetypes are limited to just three, one each for the three design categories?

Yes an Archetype for each category. Feel free to put a spin on an Archetype if you want, like a masterful general for the Artifice category, or a necromancer for the Magic, just be sure to connect it back to a category.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2021, 06:33:50 pm »

Spoiler: Everyone Loves Flesh! (click to show/hide)

So that's one of each archetype and no votes. :P
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2021, 09:37:11 pm »

« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 01:55:31 am by Devastator »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2021, 09:45:21 pm »

I vote for the Orc guy. Secondary vote "literally anything but the dangerhair".

ETA: Glass asked me to quote so it was clear that I meant his.
^ this one.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 09:51:29 pm by Maximum Spin »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2021, 09:59:38 pm »

Spoiler: Everyone Loves Flesh! (click to show/hide)

So that's one of each archetype and no votes. :P
This, or any shaper.

Sorcerer sounds fun, but tougher to be versatile with, which is repeatedly said to be critical. Dark magic is dark magic, all from one root, while our foes have many magic schools. Even if we branch out and learn them, they'll have had a lot of time to study them.
Artificer sounds frustrating, putting our main strength against a literal god who gives out divine arms as The Thing He Does.
Shaper sounds both versatile, and like a unique strength.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2021, 10:11:55 pm »

If we do a Shaper dark lord, I'd rather them not be the one IO came up with. No offense, IO, but I'm just not that big on eldritch abominations.

Here's a mad scientist take, though I still prefer the Forsaken Craftsman.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 10:15:29 pm by Glass »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2021, 10:25:29 pm »

Magic is literally the most versatile category, with the downside of magic practitioners being rarer than alternatives. Orcs will always be more plentiful than mages, after all.

We aren't limited to "dark magic", not that that's an actually useful category of magic. Unless it's just spells that can only be cast in the dark, or that are colored grey or black? I am reasonably certain we're not restricted to, say, only necromancy or soul-binding or whatever. If we wanted telekinesis I'm sure we could get it, even though telekinesis is definitely not on the list of "black magics".
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Sudurandom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2021, 10:48:59 pm »

An extra magic design would probably be most useful, but I like the story of the Forsaken Craftsman so it gets my vote.

^ this one.
+1

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2021, 10:51:48 pm »

By the way, just curious, does anybody else intend to set up their councilors?

EDIT:
An extra magic design would probably be most useful, but I like the story of the Forsaken Craftsman so it gets my vote.
Thanks! I'll note, though, that if I've understood things correctly, the Artifice category is also what stuff like military organization, most infrastructure, and tactics/strategies get developed, at least where they're not directly related to spellcraft and the acquisition/creation of new species. It's likely to be more versatile than pure equipment creation.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 10:55:29 pm by Glass »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14