Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14

Author Topic: Dark Designs: Turn Two-Battle Phase  (Read 11574 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Designs
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2021, 11:05:04 pm »

By the way, just curious, does anybody else intend to set up their councilors?
I might, in time.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2021, 11:05:39 pm »

If I'm not making a mistake, all the "story" bits in Glass' post are about his own councilor and there's not really any story for the actual dark lord? Sorry but I'm too tired right now to actually push my choice for dark lord effectively :P

Choose magic and the Witch-king Lite (he wasn't supposed to look like the Witch-king but, uh, here we are anyway), we have Tolkien references. Or, well, we are one massive Tolkien reference. We also have magic. Did I mention the magic? I wish for magic, if it wasn't clear.

And yeah, I'll do something or other with a councilor, probably tomorrow, er, today, it's after midnight now. But today in, like, nine hours or so.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2021, 11:07:26 pm »

If I'm not making a mistake, all the "story" bits in Glass' post are about his own councilor and there's not really any story for the actual dark lord? Sorry but I'm too tired right now to actually push my choice for dark lord effectively :P
There is, it's what's in the spoiler.

I liked your idea too, for the record, it would've been a close second, but I decided I ultimately had to make the pick.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2021, 11:09:06 pm »

If I'm not making a mistake, all the "story" bits in Glass' post are about his own councilor and there's not really any story for the actual dark lord?
I think they were referring to the stuff I put under the archetype, about how they used to be peer to the other three gods but were declared dark/evil along with the orcs at some point a long time ago, not necessarily with good reason.

That said, if it's not inside the spoiler, it's not related to the Dark Lord, and is instead related to the Fateless Traveler, who is a councilor and therefore lord-agnostic. Just so people are clear on that.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2021, 11:29:26 pm »

Yeah that is a good point, I didn't bother with any sort of story (I was assuming that that's something that we'll figure out later or leave mysterious) but just went for a cool line :P
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2021, 02:54:04 am »

I like both of these so I okay with whichever one gets picked.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2021, 02:31:37 pm »

Good to see interest in all three Archetypes! One thing to keep in mind while making this decision is: What are YOU more interested in?

If you want to create a veritable horde of monsters, and mutate your forces into genetic super warriors, a Shaper might be worth voting for.

If you want to crush your enemies beneath the well disciplined heel of your armored legions, the Artificer might be worth voting for.

If you want to incinerate entire battalions with a wave of your hand and master cunning curses, the Sorcerer might be worth voting for.

Even if your chosen Archetype doesn’t win, you will still be able to do all of the above. You will need to do all of the above to hope to come out triumphant.

And with that out of the way, the best option is clearly [REDACTED] because of [REDACTED].

Will probably aim to wrap up voting on Friday and present the first turn.
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Designs: Turn One-Design Phase
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2021, 07:52:54 am »

TURN ONE

There you were, drawn north by the letter, perhaps by reasons you yourself barely understood.Winter’s chill had already begun to set upon the Kingdom of Iserria, with bleak nights and hoary winds sucking life and color from the lands. It made for a rather miserable journey, for even though many welcomed you into their homes for food and shelter, if you accepted you could not help but know you would soon bring doom upon them.

Soon enough you made it to Ur-Garoth. On your approach it emerged from the mountains like a fist, railing against the sky. It is a lonely place, settled by descendents of those who swore to see the Doom of the World forever guarded.

The central keep rises above the others, though it is squat and box-like. It, like the rest of the fortress, is made out of a dark stone, scavenged from the ruination of the Dark Lord’s citadel. Five lesser towers surround it, and form bastions to hold the inner wall.  Bridges connect each tower to the central keep, like spokes on a wheel. Inside of this wall lies the majority of the court and garrison.

Beyond the inner wall lies the surrounding town, filled with craftsmen and farmers sheltering for the winter and tending their livestock.. The outer wall surrounding the greater town is kept in poor repair, with only the two gates hosting a guard. You pass through easily, and before you have a chance to make your inquiries you are approached and guided to a hidden tunnel. You walk through the dark and cold tunnel for what feels like miles until you reach the first wide caverns.

You are welcomed and praised, adorned with the robes and accoutrements that a Dark Councilor reportedly deserved (Not too impressive, honestly, just a rod of iron for the moment) and ushered to the side of the Dark Lord. (This involved even more walking through dark tunnels closer to the surface and the heart of the fortress.)

The Dark Lord. Hard to describe due to all the chains of light and blazing runes, but you could feel the weight of his presence even through all the warding placed around him. But a fraction of him stood in the form of the orc in front of you, clad in sleek black plate that radiates power. He wears no helmet, and his eyes shine with a malevolent gold hue. Before him on a pedestal lies a mangled crown, steel garishly worked between shattered gold. Only an onyx gemstone remains. Next to it lies a hammer, changing in appearance each time you look at it. You knew if you held it you would die.

The Dark Lord looked you in the eye and grinned. You could almost hear the roar of devouring furnaces and the grinding of gears over weak flesh when he said,

“Well, let’s get started.”

Turn One: Design Phase
Archetype: Artificer; The Forsaken Craftsman

In this phase you will create 4 Designs (1 Shaping, 2 Artifice, and 1 Magic) to bolster your army. Your goal this turn is to take the Citadel of Ur-Garoth back from the Kingdom of Iserria. You can find a (updated) list of their forces in the second post.

Your advantages are:
   -You will outnumber them.
   -Advantage of surprise.
   -Ability to attack from both outside the walls, and from the heart of the Fortress.

Their advantages are:
   -On the right side of the walls.
        -Also, if they win, they can smother the Dark Lord for another thousand or so years.

Things to think about.
   Your Dark Lord will be more restricted than normal. He will be forced to start in the Prison beneath the Citadel. You currently have tunnels leaving it, but before he can leave he must break the Great Seal (essentially a giant stone enchanted to keep him from escaping). The Seal is the door between the Prison and the Citadel, and is usually guarded. The Dark Lord’s Avatar will be able to break it, but not quietly. Once broken through there, he will be free to continue on through the fortress, or take a tunnel to outside.

Note: The Dark Lord, and his mobile Avatar, are vulnerable to weapons of Light. DO NOT ALLOW a Hero to access the Prison.

You will not need to design ladders or ropes if you want some units to scale the walls. They won’t be fancy or particularly effective ladders or ropes, but they should do the job.

You are not aware of any Heroes currently present at Ur-Garoth. However, expect some to appear in the nick of time, as they annoyingly tend to do.

While your army is currently not really up to strength in a fair fight against Iserria, this is not a fair fight. You will have at least double their numbers, and they won't be expecting you. Don't expect to be able to kill them all in their sleep, however. The Three will make sure you are discovered at some point.

Your Designs (Starting):
Spoiler: Starting Designs (click to show/hide)

Forces of Light

Spoiler: Kingdom of Iserria (click to show/hide)

(Feel free to ask me here or in the discord (link in first post) if you have any questions. I will answer questions on difficulty of designs, at least for this first turn!)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 08:37:23 am by chubby2man »
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2021, 09:10:24 am »

Greetings, my Lord. I have looked over the forces available to us, and to be quite honest, I am not impressed. They are a shambles and a rabble; any proper military fighting them would consider them more a nuisance than a threat. I do believe that I know how to turn them around, however...

Artifice Proposal 1: Military Discipline.
Put simply, a bunch of angry orcs does not a military make - or at least, it’s a damn low-quality military. The classic trope of the marauding band of savages, put simply, does not actually exist, or at least where it has, those that followed it did not find any success. The first key to military success is discipline, planning, and everybody in the military knowing how to fight as a single force, rather than as a bunch of individual combatants.
To that end, our orcs need to begin military training - not just indoctrination or physical training - from day one out of the pits. Furthermore, that whole “list for violence” thing needs to go, or at least get tamped down - anything with that thought process will both have difficulties maintaining discipline during battle, and is likely to cause problems out of combat as well by starting unnecessary and potentially detrimental skirmishes, both among themselves and with captured civilians.
Each soldier should know their role in the military, be they a member of the front lines, a back-lines ranger, a flanking skirmisher, or anything in between. They should know how to use the equipment granted to them, and they should know how to use it in concert with the comrades who will fight by their side.

Artifice Proposal 2: Quality Equipment
The main body of our military... is “ equipped with whatever could be scrounged up”. This is hardly viable, and is in fact an embarrassment and disgrace to the Forsaken Craftsman’s name. If the Light’s nations are capable of producing steel equipment for all of their soldiers, so should we. It should not be so difficult to procure quality steel swords, spears, axes, and shields for whomever has proficiency with them, nor should it be a great challenge to do the same with bows, javelins, and other ranged weapons. The simplicity, ease of reloading, and concealability of a sling means that all units should be equipped with one, as well as provided with a number of steel bullets to use with them.

Shaping Proposal 1: Turncoats
One of the greatest advantages the Light presently has - for the coming battle, at least - is that they are the ones inside the walls we wish to take. More broadly, they wield advantages such as “friendship” and “camaraderie” and the like. I do not wish to disparage or downplay these boons, mind you; they are exceedingly potent, hence why I wish to use them for ourselves among our forces. However, what if there were a way to eat away at the Light’s ability to hold together? If their friends who they trusted so, turned out to be loyal to us, instead? I propose a recruitment drive, my Lord, of the humans above. There are already cultists sworn to you, but those we turn here need not learn arcanery as the current cult does. The key to these new cultists would be their loyalty to your cause while remaining unassuming, rendering them capable of infiltrating the Light’s holdings and accomplishing what would otherwise take great amounts of force.

[EDIT/DISCLAIMER: These designs, as they stand, appear to be non-viable. However, the ideas behind them are still workable; we can create quality equipment and training for a specific type of orc unit, and can create shapeshifters and an infiltration/black ops corp for similar purposes to the turncoats.]
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 11:15:24 am by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Sudurandom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2021, 12:07:44 pm »

Having spies to do things like open gates for us or spread propaganda seams like it could be useful.

The Faceless Ones (shaping proposal.):
These shapeshifters excel at persuasion and subterfuge.
Although lacking the stamina for prolonged battle they are quite capable in quick small scale fights such as assassinations or seizing a gatehouse.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2021, 12:50:39 pm »

Artifice: The Silent Hand (unit, tier 3)
We have a few humans amongst our ranks, and will likely be able to recruit more as we go. For now, however, we must use what we have. Luckily, having only a few humans available anyway allows us to train them to very high proficiencies in such arts as we wish them to know. The Silent Hand is a division of our forces composed exclusively of humans or other creatures whose polities are our enemies, for now just humans, and trained in the side of warfare nobody sings many songs about. They know how to infiltrate a populace, assuming positions of responsibility, power, and importance amongst our enemies' defenders and rulers. Disguises, cloaks, daggers, poisons, it is all their domain.

Operationally, the Silent Hand works to remain completely hidden. While individual members might occasionally take action during, say, a pitched battle, they have always been placed there such that no connection to the rest of the infiltrators can be determined. Most of their operations revolve around quietly sabotaging enemy efforts; slight misreadings of scouting reports provided to commanders, falsified documents substituted by subverted diplomatic couriers, trusted advisers temporarily or permanently replaced by disguised agents. Ideally, these agents are never discovered and never questioned, but if they are discovered, they take a painless poison and die without ever being interrogated.

For equipment they get the aforementioned disguises and various concealable weapons and ominous cloaks for leading enemies into ambushes. They also get not-ominous cloaks, for when they want to actually get sneaky things done without looking like they're getting sneaky things done.

No agent of the Silent Hand would ever carry a badge or identifying symbol, but the banner that hangs to the left of the Dark Lord's is theirs; a steel dagger held by a golden hand, inverted, in golden flames below a broken crown in gold on a black field.

Artifice: Legio I Deeping Guard (unit, tier 2)
We need somebody to guard the tunnels and hallways of our fortress, and to take fortresses and hold them. Luckily, fighting in confined spaces is pretty similar whether there's a thin roof above you or miles of solid rock, and a wall is a wall is a wall, whether it's carved into the bones of the earth in a vast cavern close to the very mouths of the underworld or built out of some mud bricks next to a river. We've raised a unit of orcish soldiers in heavy armor, bearing tall rectangular shields and warhammers. With protection enough to make them seriously obnoxious to actually kill and weapons short enough to wield in confined spaces and deadly enough to kill even armored foes, the Deeping Guard makes for a useful addition to the orcish rabble. Most importantly, they are disciplined fighters capable of operating in formation and, even more importantly, they will obey orders. Including such orders as "don't pillage that village" and "prisoners of war are not food" and "civilians are not enemy combatants that just aren't fighting right now". They are also therefore responsible for enforcing order and the rule of law in captured settlements and amongst the lesser soldiers of our forces. We might be a Dark Lord's evil army but we're an evil army with standards and a desire to not spend every minute of every day crushing revolts and hunting down ragtag bands of heroes fighting for freedom or whatever.

Their armor is thick mail, burnished black, over a steel-grey gambeson. A white surcoat bears the symbol of a hammer with a golden head and steel-grey shaft with golden flames burning up the handle. The shield is white and bears the symbol of the Legions which hangs to the right of the Dark Lord's own, an inverted hammer in grey and gold again, topped with a helm reminiscent of the Dark Lord's crown; steel-grey with a black gem in the middle. Their full helms also recall the Dark Lord's crown, but more practical and less ornate, as befits a line unit.

Sorcery: Cunning Disguise (I)
A basic spell but no less useful for it, Cunning Disguise temporarily changes the appearance of a (willing) target to match that of another person that the target knows. Its duration is a mere couple of hours, and it is reliant on how well the target knows the person they're trying to look like. It can't change someone into something with a different number of placement of limbs or joints since the movements would be extremely wrong and it can't do much to change the height of the target (though some disparity in height and build is acceptable), and the appearance change is merely an illusion. It won't be disrupted by physical contact but the contact occurs with the person wearing the illusion and not the illusion itself, i.e. if your target was wearing wide sleeves you should probably wear some yourself so there's actual physical contact should you inadvertently swipe your sleeve across a table full of breakable objects.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 09:55:01 am by Madman198237 »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2021, 01:13:13 pm »

Sorcery: Nightmare Mutation (I or II)
A ritual spell cast near sleeping commoners. The spells energies are drawn to those having the darkest dreams, and will use them to fuel their growth into an uncontrollable, hungry nightmarish monster.

Strategy ideas: We use this spell, and design a champion or T4 bodyguards. We cast Nightmare Mutation from the tunnels beneath the town. The nightmares cause chaos inside the walls, making it easier to open a gatehouse, distracting the guards so our rabble have an easier time, and hopefully slowing the heroes. The T4 or T5 bodyguard protects our dark lord against heroes.

It has two points of support for protecting the dark lord from heroes. The first is too weak to really count, but helps to buy a few more moments for him to catch his breath after breaking free.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2021, 07:31:17 pm »

Shaping: Mountain Trolls
There are places men do not tread, and with good reason. Some mountain ranges are said to be haunted, or inhabited by cannibals, or occupied by dark forces. These are all untrue, since trolls are real and physical, are not human (and thus are not cannibalistic for eating humans), and are not, strictly speaking, evil or dark in nature. They are, however, large, brutally strong, and somewhat disinterested in human or divine ethics. They respect strength, though, and despite our present condition we have strength in abundance, definitively enough to recruit some trolls to our cause. Trolls are, of course, large humanoids with incredibly tough grey skin and an aversion to sunlight. They are highly resistant to both physical damage and most spells. Trolls expose to direct sunlight slowly turn to the stone they are supposedly formed from, manifesting as a steady slowing of their movements, an increasing resistance to damage, and, eventually, total paralysis and then death as they turn into unmoving stones. It takes several hours to actually kill a troll in this manner, however, so they're not totally useless at day. Besides, we can just build umbrellas or something.

While trolls are unquestionably not very smart, they are still intelligent (by a certain definition of "intelligent"...), hence why they live in mountainous regions far to the north or south, where caves can provide total protection from direct sunlight and deep ravines and valleys shorten daylight hours. They can also use weapons, tools, and armor, though they are not intelligent enough to have invented metalworking or even many stone tools. They can follow orders given by a figure they respect (read: someone capable of defeating them in a fight). However, they cannot be enchanted with beneficial effects any more than they can be enchanted with negative ones, and complicated swordplay or tactics are lost on them.

Shaping: The Wall-Breaker, Champion
There are times when even a powerful and skillful Dark Lord with myriad tools and methods might wish to take the direct approach. Times in which an obstacle might not need to be circumvented, reduced, enchanted, or even avoided entirely, but confronted. Smashed into a thousand pieces and scattered with the swing of a mighty hammer, reduced to dust and tread underfoot. The Wall-Breaker is a manifestation of inexorable advance, unstoppable power. A ruined figure, what race it may have been is unknown and quite probably unknowable. It is a massive bipedal figure, almost thirty feet tall and bearing thick armor and a massive two-handed warhammer. Its brutal hands have three fingers, tipped with adamant claws, its head bears a horned helmet, its sleek form disrupted by reinforcing plates. Its torso seems for all the world to be a slab of armor steel shaped into the mockery of a humanoid form, its arms and legs covered in thick mail and heavy plates. The only adornment upon it is the forged symbol of the Dark Lord on its breastplate, a hammer aflame set beneath a crown rent apart. It has no will but the Dark Lord's own, not even the lowest form of cunning or desire. It fights with simple, brutal swings of its hammer or claws, and is capable of tearing apart even the mightiest of soldiers or fortifications through pure brute strength. The Wall-Breaker might be mortal, but if so none have ever struck a blow hard enough to kill it. It has been forced to retreat, even left unconscious for centuries, but it always wakes again.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2021, 11:04:11 am »

Quote from: Proposal: Shaping
Hulder
The hulder is a humanoid entity, typically resembling a harmless young woman. Capable of telepathy, hulders both communicate silently amongst themselves and understand the surface emotional state of other creatures around them, making them excellent infiltration and subversion agents.
Quote from: Proposal: Artifice
Sturm-stoker
A mighty iron club which strikes with the sky's thunder from within!

Sudurandom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2021, 08:58:42 am »

A small scarred orc, Grath-Va The Runt stands to speak. "I think at this point a list of proposals will be useful to see if we have overlooked anything we might need. I have not included The Traveller's suggestions, as he's said they still need work."

Shaping:
   The Faceless Ones
   Mountain Trolls
   The Wall-Breaker, Champion
   Hulder
Arifice:
   The Silent Hand (unit, tier 3)
   Legio I Deeping Guard (unit, tier 2)
   Sturm-stoker
Magic:
   Cunning Disguise (I)
   Nightmare Mutation (I or II)