Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What's the most valuable thing a modern thief could steal in the past?  (Read 2244 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: What's the most valuable thing a modern thief could steal in the past?
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2021, 11:05:03 pm »

If we talk about value in terms of monetary reward, am I the only one who feel like stealing a breeding pair of an extinct animal would be the most profitable? I mean, rich assholes would pay a ridiculous amount of money to snort rhino horns. They'd cream themselves over dodo steaks. You also don't have to worry about proving the provenance when they can see for themselves that it is a dodo. Also, "properly guarded" dodos are just wild dodos.

If we talk about in term of cultural value or utility, I'd say that 'stealing' any artefacts which didn't survive to the modern day like, say, some theoretical book that would give us enough context to decipher the Sindhu Valley writings, or just you simply 'stealing' the idea by just going there and pantomiming at people until you learned their language, would be one of the most valuable things you can steal from the past.

It turns out that a true master thief can just avoid doing hard work.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 11:11:48 pm by hops »
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2021, 11:18:55 pm »

You kinda' bring up a good point with the book thing: Go on a spree and kidnap every holy figure in history, as well as any original transcripts of holy texts and/or their originators. Go down in time travel history as the THIEF OF ALL GODS. It'd be a hella' metal moniker, yo'.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2021, 01:04:49 am »

What if we went all the way back to the beginning of time and steal the Earth from God while he was still making it?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2021, 01:19:47 am »

Steal the skeleton of the first creature to walk on land.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2021, 06:50:12 am »

Some equivalent of the Rosetta stone for a lost language, is my gut-reaction.
Oh!  Steal a native storyteller (wouldn't be the first time) who can reveal an older version of some of the stories.  You won't get everything from one person, but it might go a long way to un-erasing some culture.  Which continent?  Surprise me.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2021, 12:41:05 am »

Some of those bananas the artificial flavoring is based off of from before the blight that wiped them out. That would be a hugely profitable venture for them.

Other examples of lost/destroyed crops/livestock would be equally valuable.

Definitely what Hops said about extinct species too.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2021, 04:25:12 am »

I thought that that bannana was the Gros Michel, which still totally exists I thought? Just isn't as largely cultivated anymore because Panama disease become too widespread and wiped out a lot of the commercial plantations so they switched to modern Bananas on a large scale, but it's still grown in places where Panama disease didn't manage to spread too.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2021, 05:23:45 am »

Confirmed i happen to read up on this mere weeks ago.
let

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2021, 08:33:05 am »

Steal the first Panama disease cell, before it multiplies.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2021, 06:43:20 pm »

The universe.

For less than 1.0x10-32 seconds.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2021, 08:04:40 pm »

the most valuable thing a modern thief could steal in the past is the past itself!
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2021, 10:05:52 pm »

That's what I said!!  To capture a first-hand report of the past would be priceless.

Although footage has no trustworthiness anymore now that any footage can be trivially faked.   :(
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2021, 09:17:11 am »

You just have to leave it in the past so it can be found and carbon printed in the future
Love, scriver~

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2021, 03:20:00 am »

Just be sure to fill the place you've hidden it with traps to keep someone that isn't you from stealing it.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2021, 11:50:19 am »

Naaah I thought about this: traps mean there is something to be got. Digging isn't perfect either with magnet scanners, erosion, construction sites etc....

BUT

You should be able to find great documentation about churches, when they were built, when the roof was remade, if they burned in WW2 etc. Small things could be hidden in the woodworks of church roofs, nobody os going up there unless they're renovating the roof in which case you move the stuff a bit forwards in time.
let
Pages: 1 [2] 3