Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best Places for Freelance Writing?  (Read 4473 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Best Places for Freelance Writing?
« on: November 03, 2021, 07:47:39 pm »

Hey,

Someone suggested trying freelancing again, and I was just curious: where would someone go if they wanted to pick up freelance writing work?

I googled the question, but... it's all articles that are incredibly biased. There are some "big name" places that I know of, but I dont REALLY know where is a good place to start. Basically, I'm not sure how to find the site thats the easiest and cheapest for the writers.

This is probably fairly niche, even for here, but if anyone's got any insight I would be very thankful! Yea. Sorry. Thank you lol.

EDIT: Just remembered I signed up for Medium a while back... other suggestions still very welcome tho
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 08:07:02 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best Places for Freelance Writing?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2021, 03:58:18 pm »

Is there a specific kind of writing you want to do, or would be a good fit for?

I'm no expert, but my GF does some game journalism work here and there. If you might want to write in games media, she suggested pitching a piece to Diego from Into the Spine. They take new writers, he's a supportive mentor, and they have some good connections in other publications too.

More generally, I might take some time to consider what you want to write about, or any specific things you have to say, and build out a pitch to an appropriate publication?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2021, 08:51:44 pm »

Thanks for the advice! Uh mostly creative work (where it could be gotten) or I suppose videogame and movie journalism. I'll put some more thought into it.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2021, 10:15:54 pm »

look for a publication willing to take in new stories/reviews/other content.

To get your foot in the door, you probably need to submit a few articles for free.
This isn't like most art, you have to get someone's attention somehow.

Especially if you don't feel like networking with the people you know!
Try reading some less famous publications.

Back in Massachusetts, I once ended up finding a very niche publication run by the grocery store manager's wife.
Turns out, she had a product review print and had a column for unproven reviewers.

With the advent of the internet, there has to be some publication for you.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2021, 11:09:05 am »

Yea I can definitely find a place lol, thanks very much for your advice.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2021, 12:44:51 pm »

Would probably advise against working for clients for free. But in the context of building a portfolio, it'd probably be good to write for a personal blog, get together with like-minded friends to write pieces to some end, etc. Stuff to demonstrate your voice, and to prove you can do what you want to be paid to do.

But as someone who's done freelance, I wouldn't suggest working *for* people who won't pay you, even to get started. Most people who are going to be good references down the line will respect your time and work enough to compensate you.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2021, 02:20:02 pm »

Danke. Yes. I have PTSD from people who don't want to pay others and fully plan to be compensated for my time no matter what.

That said, I did work freelance once before and while it was a good experience I am still considering whether I want to throw myself back into it. Decisions decisions, all of them incredibly anxiety inducing.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2021, 02:17:47 pm »

Don't do anything more than a day's work for free.