Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Started as a peasant, went to castle and took anything I wanted...  (Read 6295 times)

xywa

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Hi,
I don't understand...
 Started as a peasant with nearly nothing, in 3 minutes went to castle and took anything I wanted. Axe, crossbow, gloves... all quite expensive. Went back to village and did quick exchange for other goods. So is it Adventure Mode so simple?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Started as a peasant, went to castle and took anything I wanted...
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2021, 04:00:03 am »

Yes, you can find quite a lot lying around and no one seems to care if you take it. You'll have trouble finding steel equipment, though, unless you make a fortress of your own and visit it as an adventurer later.

Adventure mode isn't much on the bartering/money-making side. Mostly it's used to adventure and feel the world in a more personal way. Or, to take on giant beasts.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2021, 04:36:22 am »

Yes, you can find quite a lot lying around and no one seems to care if you take it. You'll have trouble finding steel equipment, though, unless you make a fortress of your own and visit it as an adventurer later.

Adventure mode isn't much on the bartering/money-making side. Mostly it's used to adventure and feel the world in a more personal way. Or, to take on giant beasts.
or finding interesting folks and learning their story then talking them into joining your player fort, or trying to manipulate the world stage to get two folks to try to kill each other. or poking at the game engine enough to see what happens and weaving stories to tell others.

though one could just go around build up good relationships on a barter system and constantly trade with enough folks to see if everyone knows the adventurer by their sense of goods handling... or you could dip into novelist route and write stories and fiction and slowly build up an adventurer who experienced life and put the experience to paper.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

xywa

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2021, 04:44:16 am »

[1] So as long is not steel, should be fine?
[2] Is it possible to switch off into fortress mode with my peasant, build a bit and then switch back into adventures mode?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2021, 07:24:33 am »

1. If you find steel you can take it, but you'll usually only find it in dwarven fortresses. It's a bit rare, and just about the best equipment an adventurer can come across.

2. If you press 'esc' you will either see 'give into starvation' or 'retire at this location for the time being'. Giving into starvation kills the character and will happen if you're in the wilderness or somewhere unsafe. Retiring will hand the character over to the world. You can then make a new adventurer in the same world or start a fortress in the same world, both of which can be retired. Then later you can play as that adventurer again (if they're still alive. They'll tend to live where you left them but sometimes travel, take responsibilities, or get themselves murdered somehow.)

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2021, 08:46:58 am »

There is a law and framework/economy arc planned for post myth & magic, but still...enjoy the free loot while it lasts. :P
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2021, 08:42:43 pm »

or finding interesting folks and learning their story then talking them into joining your player fort, or trying to manipulate the world stage to get two folks to try to kill each other. or poking at the game engine enough to see what happens and weaving stories to tell others.

though one could just go around build up good relationships on a barter system and constantly trade with enough folks to see if everyone knows the adventurer by their sense of goods handling... or you could dip into novelist route and write stories and fiction and slowly build up an adventurer who experienced life and put the experience to paper.
This is the thing about adventure mode, it lets you write your own story (cliche as that sounds) a little more than fortress mode does.

Fortress mode is a matter of dealing with life as it comes, one day and problem at a time, always reacting to external events — recommend this guy as baron since he’s not too annoying and to stop them asking you, close this gate since the goblins are here, mine this fun stuff but only this much since if you mine more the clowns will come.

Adventure mode, you have much more freedom of choice, and the reasons you do things are mostly dependent on you — find this vampire since I want to kill him and then drink his blood, write this book since I want to spread my knowledge in the world, all the stuff Rumrusher said.

I still prefer fortress mode though because, paradoxically, that reactiveness means you can sit back and let life come to you, rather than having to go find it like in adventure mode.
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2021, 08:48:04 am »

This is the thing about adventure mode, it lets you write your own story (cliche as that sounds) a little more than fortress mode does.

Fortress mode is a matter of dealing with life as it comes, one day and problem at a time, always reacting to external events — recommend this guy as baron since he’s not too annoying and to stop them asking you, close this gate since the goblins are here, mine this fun stuff but only this much since if you mine more the clowns will come.

Adventure mode, you have much more freedom of choice, and the reasons you do things are mostly dependent on you — find this vampire since I want to kill him and then drink his blood, write this book since I want to spread my knowledge in the world, all the stuff Rumrusher said.

I still prefer fortress mode though because, paradoxically, that reactiveness means you can sit back and let life come to you, rather than having to go find it like in adventure mode.

Adventure Mode has this cardboard cutout buildings inhabited by mechanized amusement park NPC quality, and since you are telling the story to yourself, a playing with dolls in a dusty attic feel. And yeah, that's not creepy. But most of this is because the world is only on/active around your adventurer, and seemingly shuts off once your adventurer leaves a site. There's stuff that is going on in the background, but it's not dynamic.

Fort Mode will appear more alive due to needs fulfillment and while that's limited to your map, "where all the lights are on", the rest of the world is similarly seemingly off. To me this is because your map sustains a more persistent reality.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2021, 12:28:25 pm »

Actually quite a lot is happening to other parts of the world while you are playing. The main problem is that most citizens are not historical figures and know nothing of these events. Someone could have murdered the king, and they would just continue about their business.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2021, 03:24:08 pm »

Actually quite a lot is happening to other parts of the world while you are playing. The main problem is that most citizens are not historical figures and know nothing of these events. Someone could have murdered the king, and they would just continue about their business.

Yeah, events are occurring in both modes, but I meant this more along the lines of aliveness being restricted to your map.

While it can be said that events punctuate the span of a real/fictional person's chronology, it's the in-between moments that act as connective tissue for those events. They are the experience of being alive.

On your map this is the needs system along with areas of activity.

Let's say the king had a child in year 294. It's just an out of context event and prolly wont be made any more real unless he comes to your fort. Two of your spun from air dwarves have a child, this is also an event, but has the context of all those in-between moments fostered by needs/areas.

Adventure Mode is a doll in a popup book world, and that doll very far from being like the Velveteen Rabbit.

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2021, 02:00:42 am »

It’s actually very comparable to the era of little kings and kingdoms in europe, isn’t it? Territory shifts hands but unless the invaders specifically come to their little place, your average dwarven drunk doesn’t care.

I agree on adventure mode, it does feel a bit like you’re playing by yourself. And I mean you are — always have been — but adventure mode really drives it home. Like that one time I got myself infected with werelizardness and went and infected as many people as possible, in much the same way as a kid puts 500 blocks of TNT into the ground in minecraft and then sets it alight, just to make something happen, to feel like you have agency.

Although, that was still fun, so maybe it’s not all bad :D
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2021, 11:07:25 am »

Oh, I dunno.  My adventurers routinely recruit drunks and others to join in their adventures, and the stories of both my adventurer and their companion(s) seem comparable enough.

Peasant->Hero->Demigod is simply a rating of how advanced is your starting character, it also has some effect on maximum stats I think?

Don't forget the fun of creating your own settlement in Adventure mode, and settling down there as its Lord.  I think that feature has been the least-discussed (and least exploited).  Protip: Always be an Axeman (or Axedwarf, etc).

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2021, 04:06:28 pm »

I mean I've experienced shades of the kind of disconnected experience peasant cretin is describing, but it's never been enough to turn me off adventure mode entirely (especially since I know it's a WIP that will get better) and I've still had plenty of fun with it.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2021, 10:52:55 am »

-snip-
Don't forget the fun of creating your own settlement in Adventure mode, and settling down there as its Lord. I think that feature has been the least-discussed (and least exploited).  Protip: Always be an Axeman (or Axedwarf, etc).

I'd figured it's not that discussed about given 'being a lord over sites' tend to be confusing on what really goes down when you do so,
and from my studies of that ended up leading to learning a way to get most folks to take up becoming a hearthperson and the fun mechanics of giving someone a title of a leader of a site does to their faction status.

and the result of taking those lessons and applying that to a player fort with the military commander and being able to appoint military dwarves/enlist folks into your army and the means to give up expedition leader role makes the person who accepts part of the player fort and technically open to being order around in fort mode.

though there is fun in also convincing other nobles to giving up their title to a site to an adventurer and getting that adventurer to give that title up to anyone they wish and witnessing the chaos of the world simulation trying to handle with the new leader.

though while I might point out how uneducated the masses in dwarf fortress are, I should clarify that because they are unknowing it doesn't mean they can't learn or be taught.
so there's fun in grabbing a handful of npcs and teaching them stuff then watch as they interact with each other and the world at hand.

also with messing with lords and hearthfolk dialog system and the affects of that on loyalty it also lead to learning most of the hostile beings in the game stop being hostile if you accept them into a community, like night trolls and bogeymen... and all the semi-megabeasts, which made playing the game pacifist changed the feeling of adventure mode from 'a challenge to explore the world and not get killed while not killing folks' to 'challenge to recruit historical figures into a site and think up another step past that one because being able to make technically anyone sapient a fort member is a game changer'
like it went from 'Dwarves, the adventurers, and everyone else' to ' everyone else, The Adventurers'
back to the point yeah being able to make your own settlement is pretty fun, considering disbanding companions that are assign to civ zones make them part of the campsite and never really leave so you could accumulate as many folks you want.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Amaranth

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Dodger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2021, 05:01:02 am »

... so how do I do it Rumrusher? How do I become the community?
Pages: [1] 2