Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Started as a peasant, went to castle and took anything I wanted...  (Read 6211 times)

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: Started as a peasant, went to castle and took anything I wanted...
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2021, 12:16:14 pm »

... so how do I do it Rumrusher? How do I become the community?
dip into hybrid play(parking adventurers in player forts and assign them military commander and or expedition leader.) and or gather a bunch of stray pets and gift them to folks you want to join you as this boost their affection ranking to kindred spirits and allows you to talk them into joining your group as an follower... probably an performer follower since there's no good way to talk about excitement seeking as a value to get folks to join for adventures. then just park the folks you pick up by assign them to a civ zone and either disbanding them or just telling them to wait or getting them to work on construction without the adventurer's help.
though this does end up requiring making an adventurer built around talking to folks as the new judge of intent mechanics means talking to folks tire them out unless you keep them entertain through either jokes and or gifts of pets
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2021, 06:28:15 pm »

Does that de-escalate combat? Can I give a minotaur a pet bull and get him to like...chill the fuck out?

Amaranth

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Dodger
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2021, 10:45:00 pm »

And to add onto delphonsos questions: can befriending night trolls and other creatures and giving them titles lead to becoming playable races in post world gen or is that too much to ask for?
I would be testing these things but I've got kids and not as much time as i used to.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2021, 02:26:32 am »

And to add onto delphonsos questions: can befriending night trolls and other creatures and giving them titles lead to becoming playable races in post world gen or is that too much to ask for?
I would be testing these things but I've got kids and not as much time as i used to.

ok so from what I gone through befriending night trolls currently has a set up of getting them to migrate to the fort... otherwise while it's possible to talk one into being friends the rep of being a dangerous beast to them would override any progress made.
sadly currently there's no good way to make them a playable adv mode species due to the systems that make that work is tied to civs getting access to the creature population and that seems to be not connected to individuals migrating to the fort.
at best you could migrate individual folks into being fort mode citizens but adv mode wise the only vanilla way would be to activate quantum leap through dying and getting resurrected and hope to hop into the body of one of the beings you want to play as... and even then you can't even fast travel or rest or sleep or wait as doing so would kick you out of the body.

though mod wise animal entity tokens does make this possible to play as those creatures and make them citizens.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Does that de-escalate combat? Can I give a minotaur a pet bull and get him to like...chill the fuck out?
ok so giving a minotaur or any currently hostile creature a pet would require them to not see you to deeply hate your gift who also alive and can probably be aggro to them, otherwise gifting them a pet could just cause them to hate you more.
as it's the other option on accepting the pet.
so far de-escalating combat for other folks who don't apply an negative rep to the adventurer on sight can be done through series of trinket giving and jokes one could possibly win over loyalty of a patrolling goblin in that when you see them again they will switch sides and help you in an ambush.
that said this does mean you need to avoid getting the intruder rep at all costs, also if the minotaur in this example ended up being the leader of the squad you're assign to then the minotaur would consider you as a comrade and avoid aggression to you as you're an underling.
but peasants will be open to attack as the de-aggro only stops at folks that are enlisted to work for the minotaur and not the citizens of the civ.
so like the process of making them friendly seem to be tied to fort mode migrant function and them arriving to the player site,

so like maybe something that would refresh the nemesis on the historical figure so that they get a new unit that isn't aggro all the time and this could lead to them being friendly, though this would require testing on how the game deals with unit storage to flush the old hostile data and replace it with non-hostile data.
"body swapping and YOU!"

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2021, 09:47:37 pm »

…and the one time I played as a peasant and helped myself to the strawberries in my bedroom, they called me a thief…
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Amaranth

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Dodger
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2021, 06:12:24 pm »

Let's try befriending necromancers by bringing them undead dogs and bone horses.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2021, 10:50:45 am »

Let's try befriending necromancers by bringing them undead dogs and bone horses.
necromancers in my experience are pretty chill if you bypass the undead they keep at the gates, and avoid getting the intruder rep applied on your adventurers and avoid fighting any undead in eyesight of a necromancer.
they even take any pets ... just make sure your pets are far away from fighting the undead while gifting them away(and also on site as gifting a pet that not on field will crash the game) or the necromancers will retaliate against the undead by reanimating and resurrecting corpses which probably lead to a mess.
oh and technically if you build up their loyalty to you they also would join in fighting with you as an ally.. and accidentally reanimate or resurrect any dead corpses in eye sight.
"body swapping and YOU!"

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2021, 07:15:30 pm »

Peasant->Hero->Demigod is simply a rating of how advanced is your starting character, it also has some effect on maximum stats I think?
Yeah. If you use all your attribute points, you get a better stat floor, as the max stat ceiling is 2X the floor.

Contrary to the common belief, IMO peasant isn't more difficult because it starts with a lower point allotment. For example, if a peasant/hero/demigod has level one defensive stats, then they should fight critters who have level zero attack stats.

Higher attributes do provide bonuses to rolls, but a unit under player control doesn't need them like a unit under AI control.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

...to feel like you have agency.
I mean I've experienced shades of the kind of disconnected experience peasant cretin is describing, but it's never been enough to turn me off adventure mode entirely (especially since I know it's a WIP that will get better) and I've still had plenty of fun with it.
The weirdness/creepiness isn't off-putting enough to skip Adventure Mode.

Adventure Mode offers you the most in regard to agency (participation vs imposition), despite being less alive.

You can create coherent personalities and character arcs (at least right now) that the world gen units of fort mode won't have.
Pages: 1 [2]