Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Idle games (2)  (Read 16086 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Idle games (2)
« on: November 04, 2021, 06:45:15 am »

I am quite sure that I already made an idle games thread a few months ago, but it has disappeared from the board. No idea why, I must have missed something?

I suppose I'll make a new one.

Right now I am playing Perfect Tower 2.
I got it a while ago and decided to wait for some more updates.

I must say, it's loaded with content, and under active development, with many, many different things to do besides letting your tower shoot cubes. Mine, refine, craft, trade, strange research experiments... It even has some retro style arcade minigames.

It's free to play, available on Steam (and I think Kongregate too).

EDIT: Oh, and I hate Cylindro. Still trying to beat him (first boss arcade minigame) ..... Soooooo close x20 ......

EDIT2: beat him on something like the 50th try. I am old and rusty haha

« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 07:37:17 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Idle games (2)
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2021, 10:45:20 am »

I've been playing Cookie Clicker exclusively for the past few months. Got hooked on the mobile version, hit a gigantic wall, found out it doesn't have all the content of the web version, then migrated just in time for the Steam version to come out.

Any mod recommendations(that don't disable achievements) btw? I was kinda expecting it to have a workshop, but not luck so far, and I don't feel very confident just dumping random snippets of JS code found on github into my game.

I am quite sure that I already made an idle games thread a few months ago, but it has disappeared from the board. No idea why, I must have missed something?

You didn't miss much, death by drama basically.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2021, 11:16:54 am »

Cookie Clicker has been my on-again-off-again I came back to after it was on Steam.

https://pmotschmann.github.io/Evolve/ Evolve Idle is another good one, in the same vein of Kittens Game, though the prestige/mastery mechanics get a bit tiresome after a while if you want to fill out the achievement list. There are scripts that help with that if you get tired of doing it manually and want to fill out the "tier" before moving on (e.g. - doing nuke reset for all races after completing a few).

Definitely giving Perfect Tower 2 a try - can't beat free.

NGU Idle was another one that had me for a while, but I felt a hit a major wall in Evil mode before being able to make it to Sadistic.

Lazy Galaxy 2 had a major update recently to add a New Game +/full reset type mechanic. Still in EA but has a decent amount of content.

Melvor Idle is another good EA, and is basically distilled Runescape, if you're into that. I need to retrieve my save file from an old drive as I didn't use the cloud backup for it.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Rumble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2021, 01:00:17 pm »

Increlution on steam. Has a demo which seamlessly integrated when I decided it was worth the price and paid.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1593350/Increlution/

I had initially dismissed perfect tower without trying, but after reading your review I'll give it a shot

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2021, 03:02:11 pm »

Ima throw a rec out there for Exponential Idle for smartphone. It has the notable distinction of basically starting with numbers larger then the point where other games typically give up and just say that you have infinity money.

Unlike most other idle games it also has a clear end point, which is both good (in that you won't be addicted to it forever or until you get so bored with it that you quit) and slightly sad (in that it ends). It has a few types of prestige mechanics and in general moves fast enough that you won't get particularly bored although it does take up a pretty large amount of your time.

It also has no ads or meaningful monetization at all, which is unusual and very welcome for a free mobile game.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2021, 04:57:34 pm »

How do idle games work on Steam? I've only ever played Swarm Simulator and that's something that I could have in the background on a web browser. If I want to run my idle game would I also be able to play another game on Steam? I've never tried to run two games from Steam at the same time. Or are you expected to only run it when you want to check on something?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2021, 05:10:53 pm »

You can run multiple steam games concurrently just fine, generally. The exact mechanics of the idle progression varies from program to program, some you need to leave on, some you don't.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2021, 01:46:49 am »

I mentioned this in Blurbs, but I'll repeat here since the thread has been rebooted and I'm still actively playing every day.

Legends of IdleOn. Fairly active development. Catchy Music. Colorful landscapes. Witty dialogue. You can make significant progress playing actively, leaving the game running while you are away, and closing the game then coming back later; all are viable options.

There are typical RPG mechanics, with multiple adventure classes and tradeskills. Do the idle thing to collect a bunch of materials, then invest those materials in crafting better gear so that you can keep moving up the progression ladder. As you level up you unlock more character slots, so you can make more adventurers and have them specialize in collecting different materials. And beyond just crafting gear, there are a variety of mechanics to invest your materials into, boosting progress in different ways.

Free to play, with a very reasonable cash shop that can boost progress but is not at all a requirement.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2021, 03:27:02 pm »

So far I'm enjoying Perfect Tower 2 - there are a lot of little QOL features missing but it scratches an ADD itch of doing a lot of random little things all with a related end goal.

The Factory stuff is totally a ripoff from Gregtech/IC2 and I love it.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2021, 10:54:31 am »

Legends of IdleOn.
I just started this up this weekend - it's pretty fun. Just opened up my third character slot this morning, but didn't have the time before work to actually create a character.

Any tips for a new player, or gotcha's that I should avoid? I've been prioritizing increasing inventory slots and item stacking so far, since a big danger seems to be harvesting a bunch of stuff and being unable to carry it all.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2021, 12:34:56 pm »

Like most good idle games, IdleOn has a lot of different systems for boosting progress, and they are all important. So just don't get too mired down in any one area, and keep pushing forward to new areas so you can unlock even more.

Try to do the quests, at least on one character. Some quests unlock new recipes or stamps which can help your whole party!

Join a guild when you can. There's no real costs or obligations, and a decently established guild will give you free boosts and goodies each week.

For idle progress made when your game is closed, be aware that it is heavily influenced by the skills on your hotbar. The system does not account for what you actually have enough MP to cast, so try to put at least 1 talent point into each 'attack' skill and get them on your hotbar, then upgrade them as your build allows.

And for your first talent page, be aware that the +Damage% and +WeaponPower talents will generally have a larger impact on your damage compared to the str/agi/wis stat that boosts your damage. It's commonly recommended that you only invest in your accuracy stat early on, and leave the damage stat for last. Talent-reset shards are fairly easy to come by, so no worries if you want to experiment a bit.

Every tradeskill level you get will grant talent points, so it's well worth it at least get those first few easy levels from each skill on each character.

Also, secrets!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2021, 01:42:31 pm »

I've started to get LOI ads again (for my other ad-to-advance-faster games[1] that I so patronise). The content of those suvlggests that it's a more clicky than (with occaisonal choices) idle-mostly/storyline advancer. Obviously click-/idle-based games lie on a continuum with no easy boundary[2], and I've not really any more room in my life for any more time-sinks. Perhaps shouldn't have as many as I do.

But I like the look of Idleon, on principle. If I drop one of my others, it could tempt me to swap it in.

Idlers I'm currently supporting (playing non-standardly, mostly, which means less idling, more noting stuff in spreadsheets) are Idle Kingdom Clicker and Idle Superpowers (Android, both), where I'm resisting the Prestige reset of the first[3] and throttling my advancement in the second[4]

[1] Not sure if the same subset as before, or fell out of the ad-pool for one of the other apps but later got added into another ad-pooler's 'stock'.

[2] One of my occasionals, because I bought 'helpers' for the miner (main focus of the near-eternal digging) and picked up bonuses that make progress actually go quicker when he's asleep, is thus faster depth-progress if he dozes off but (perverse as I am) I want to mostly collect the jewels that are quickest to get (vs. other progress that I don't care about) if I periodically tap to keep him awake, slow down the layer-completion, etc... It's just a personal thang, not playing 'to win', or anywhere like constantly....

[3] I'm due a multi-thousands Prestige boost of speed (and ability to unlock the third type of production building) when I do, but I've set myself the goal to get another couple of territorial hexes and see what certain upgrade costs/un-boosted production rates are to level 200, first. The former, I predict, will be achieved sometime in 2023[3a]. Prestiging would take approx. 3yrs/20k-ish, starting from 'scratch' so obviously would get me there quicker, possibly even a couple of Prestige resets would now work quicker still, by further accelerated bonus accumulation in partial-redo number 1. But that's not the point. ;)

[3a] That's if I don't log in every two hours, without fail,  ad-double the intervening offline progress restart the non-ad production-doubler and every other visit top-up the ad-supporting production doubler. Which, if I were doing, I would have last have had to do exactly 35 minutes ago, and it'd shorten the time to this landmark to "maybe sometime in the middle of next year, if I don't mess up the schedule too much." :P. This is how much I could be absorbed. That I know this can be done probably says slightly more about me than if I were actually trying this... ;)

[4] I'm interested in the equipment power/bonus numbers, so I'm not advancing a level (this time round on a timeloop) until I've built up enough records of shop-bought/enemy-carried. Which is fun!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2021, 05:25:10 pm »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Astral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2021, 11:23:10 pm »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2021, 06:10:08 am »

Too late haha. I just found out the hard way.  U wot m8? I need t9 ore for rubber saplings? xD

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10