Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Anime Arms Race Empire of Jingay -Deployment Phase 4  (Read 5520 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Anime Arms Race Empire of Jingay -Deployment Phase 4
« on: November 06, 2021, 10:15:05 pm »

Team A! The most A Team there is! First order of business is deciding a name for your nation.

Second order of business is deciding the layout for the 7 Steps on your side. Since there is way too many of those you can be generic, mostly they will interact with Traits.

Third order of business is deciding your Leader. As a reminder your Leader is like the King in chess, starts out with 20 Power, and has traits that give bonuses to all your units. Their description likely explains the basics of what your nation is design wise.

Fourth order of business is deciding your three starting Supporting Units. These three will be at 5 Power at the start each and assumed to consist of your entire armed forces at the start of the war.

After that, it is time to start the game for real!

Map:
        AC
A1     A2     A3
A4     A5     A6
B4     B5     B6
B1     B2     B3
        BC

Example Unit Sheet:
Name:
Description:
Traits:
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 09:00:43 pm by Stirk »
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: Anime Arms Race Team A - Start Phase
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2021, 01:23:19 am »

All right, since piratejoe is whining, I propose that Side A is the Empire of Jingay, a stodgy westernized power whose primary interest lies in purging weebs, which they believe side B to be.
The current Golden Emperor is Eiji "Ted" Yamamoto, a 13-year-old Japanese boy who loves western video games, old western comics, and Westerns, and hates all anime and manga because his big sister is a giant shojo nerd and a... what's the word? Uh, fujoshi. Instead of something lame like iaido, he has trained himself extensively in Western-style six-shooter gunplay. He absolutely detests friendship.

At some point I'd like to bring in the character of Saio Princess Hanako, Emperor Ted's older sister, who is extremely masculine in personality and a devoted older sister despite being a giant shojo nerd and fujoshi; she knows that her brother dislikes her interests but isn't hurt because, to her, that's just what little brothers do. She serves in a vaguely-defined religious capacity as a saio, which doesn't necessarily mean the same thing here, but is at least superficially similar. Her preferred weapon is a sword.

I envision the terrain of Jingay as relatively mountainous, especially at the two sides, with the citadel located on a ridge overlooking the head of a river valley. A2 would be more or less highlands, no doubt good pasture, A5 would be the main valley floor where the river is broadest and the floodplain is dotted with oxbow lakes, and A1, A4, A3, and A6 are all essentially mountains. AC is of course the stalwart citadel on the ridge. It probably looks like a Heian-period palace that has been extensively (and expensively) done up with facade to look more like Versailles or a European castle, but not quite enough that you can't tell.

The supporting units are:
Temple Maiden Army - the personal army of Saio Princess Hanako, sent to fight for the Emperor while the Princess remains in seclusion performing her religious duties. They fight with a mixture of swords and prayers, and are extremely traditionalist.

Cowboy Samurai Retainers - the imperial family's loyal retainers have been forced to wear cowboy uniforms. They are uncomfortable with this, but feel obliged to obey the Emperor's wishes. They are actually decent shots.

Great Nexus Ōtokage - The empire's prized war machine, a big robotic craft to be piloted by the Emperor in an emergency. It can, if all else fails, eject the cockpit as a smaller spaceship. Emperor Ted would be very irritated if he has to use this, as he has not found a way to make it look cool by his standards yet.

I have not provided specific traits because I felt that it would be more useful to extract them from the descriptions as a dialogue.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2021, 12:20:30 pm »

All right, since piratejoe is whining, I propose that Side A is the Empire of Jingay, a stodgy westernized power whose primary interest lies in purging weebs, which they believe side B to be.
The current Golden Emperor is Eiji "Ted" Yamamoto, a 13-year-old Japanese boy who loves western video games, old western comics, and Westerns, and hates all anime and manga because his big sister is a giant shojo nerd and a... what's the word? Uh, fujoshi. Instead of something lame like iaido, he has trained himself extensively in Western-style six-shooter gunplay. He absolutely detests friendship.

At some point I'd like to bring in the character of Saio Princess Hanako, Emperor Ted's older sister, who is extremely masculine in personality and a devoted older sister despite being a giant shojo nerd and fujoshi; she knows that her brother dislikes her interests but isn't hurt because, to her, that's just what little brothers do. She serves in a vaguely-defined religious capacity as a saio, which doesn't necessarily mean the same thing here, but is at least superficially similar. Her preferred weapon is a sword.

I envision the terrain of Jingay as relatively mountainous, especially at the two sides, with the citadel located on a ridge overlooking the head of a river valley. A2 would be more or less highlands, no doubt good pasture, A5 would be the main valley floor where the river is broadest and the floodplain is dotted with oxbow lakes, and A1, A4, A3, and A6 are all essentially mountains. AC is of course the stalwart citadel on the ridge. It probably looks like a Heian-period palace that has been extensively (and expensively) done up with facade to look more like Versailles or a European castle, but not quite enough that you can't tell.

Temple Maiden Army - the personal army of Saio Princess Hanako, sent to fight for the Emperor while the Princess remains in seclusion performing her religious duties. They fight with a mixture of swords and prayers, and are extremely traditionalist.

Cowboy Samurai Retainers - the imperial family's loyal retainers have been forced to wear cowboy uniforms. They are uncomfortable with this, but feel obliged to obey the Emperor's wishes. They are actually decent shots.

Great Nexus Ōtokage - The empire's prized war machine, a big robotic craft to be piloted by the Emperor in an emergency. It can, if all else fails, eject the cockpit as a smaller spaceship. Emperor Ted would be very irritated if he has to use this, as he has not found a way to make it look cool by his standards yet.

I have not provided specific traits because I felt that it would be more useful to extract them from the descriptions as a dialogue.
+1

chaotick21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2021, 10:33:59 pm »

PTW

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2021, 12:23:01 am »

As for the traits:
Temple Maiden Army: Probably a bonus to deploying with Saio Princess Hanako. Something like "Princess's Personal Personnel"
Cowboy Samurai Retainers: Small general bonus "Six Shooting Samurai"
Great Nexus Ōtokage: Deploy Spaceship! - Bigger bonus when deployed with Ted and when Ted allows its super mode to activate.

Not really sure what to do for Ted himself though. So feel free to make suggestions. There is no particular reason for the above alliteration.
Westernization: Once per turn during the Battle Phase Ted may give the equivalent of a Character Development to any Empire character. This must represent a Western item, tactic, or other such thing and is removed at the end of the battle phase.
Purge the weebs!: Bonus to any sufficiently japanesy enemy
Friendship is Over Rated: Big Bonus to units deployed without any support.

Otherwise it is time for the first actual Protagonist Phase. So I guess we got to get that figured out too.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anime Arms Race Empire of Jingay - Protagonist Phase 1
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2021, 01:07:25 am »

These traits seem fine, although I'll think it over. Does anyone else have opinions on them?

My preferred first Protagonist would, of course, be:

Saio Princess Hanako
(see description from before)
Traits:
- Light Priestess Saio: Her prayers imbue her sword with holy light, dealing extra damage to unwholesome beings such as furries and undead.
- Mahou Shoujo Otaku: Her greatest power is HEART. Her power grows immensely when something she loves is in danger!
- Huge Fujoshi: When around multiple male units, she ships them relentlessly, improving her morale and combat effectiveness, and damaging their morale unless they're actually into that.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 11:49:03 pm by Maximum Spin »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2021, 09:04:41 am »

These traits seem fine, although I'll think it over. Does anyone else have opinions on them?

Saio Princess Hanako
Traits:
- Light Priestess Saio: Her prayers imbue her sword with holy light, dealing extra damage to unwholesome beings such as furries and undead.
- Mahou Shoujo Otaku: Her greatest power is HEART. Her power grows immensely when something she loves is in danger!
- Huge Fujoshi: When around multiple male units, she ships them relentlessly, improving her morale and combat effectiveness.
+1, we are unaminous. Now we can go poke them.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2021, 11:49:25 pm »

I thought of an improvement to one of the traits. Tric, you still okay with it?

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2021, 08:49:12 am »

Not really. At that poit she's actually leaking her vile thoughts and acting on them, so wouldn't her combat abilities go down if that's happening?

Not the biggest thing though, since it's a flaw to offset the rest.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2021, 02:40:25 pm »

Well, the idea was to make the trait more offensively... offensive, so that she can be used to morale-damage enemy troops. I'm fine with returning to the original version where it's a purely personal buff.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2021, 07:17:14 pm »

Saio Princess Hanako
Traits:
- Huge Fujoshi: When around multiple male units, she ships them relentlessly, improving her morale and combat effectiveness, and damaging their morale unless they're actually into that.

I'll assume you're going with the updated version then?

D20 roll: 10 Power

It is now the Supporting Character phase.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anime Arms Race Empire of Jingay - Supporting Character Phase 1
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2021, 07:53:25 pm »

Cool, so I was thinking about extending two of the concepts from my original supporting character ideas and leaning into a space cowboy kind of theme a bit. After all, that's as Western as it gets, right? No filthy animu has ever done space cowboys, I'm sure of it. No, don't bother checking, just trust me on this.

On the other hand, we're fighting on the ground and not in space, so I want to do something that still matters in the practical field, but we can get NEAR space.

I'm thinking something like this to start with...

Super High-Tech Jet Fighters - Decades ago, the Empire's reliable Western allies won something they call the Space Race. Now, they're supporting us in our conflict by supplying us with their military technology, in the form of these so-called "space planes", capable of flying to the legal edge of space. Just like how getting to the edge of sex is the same as sex. Although we've only had them for a handful of years, our child pilots have trained from birth to handle these planes with military precision, deploying high-speed surprise tactics to rain bombs or machine-gun fire on enemy targets.
Trait: Can Into Space - Capable of suborbital ultra-high-altitude operation, the SHTJF remain almost undetectable until they drop in on a battlefield from above.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2021, 08:57:57 pm »

Cool, so I was thinking about extending two of the concepts from my original supporting character ideas and leaning into a space cowboy kind of theme a bit. After all, that's as Western as it gets, right? No filthy animu has ever done space cowboys, I'm sure of it. No, don't bother checking, just trust me on this.
Spoiler: Heresy (click to show/hide)
Don't even need to check, I know.

Still +1 though.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2021, 07:29:34 pm »

On the other hand, we're fighting on the ground and not in space, so I want to do something that still matters in the practical field, but we can get NEAR space.

I'm thinking something like this to start with...

Super High-Tech Jet Fighters - Decades ago, the Empire's reliable Western allies won something they call the Space Race. Now, they're supporting us in our conflict by supplying us with their military technology, in the form of these so-called "space planes", capable of flying to the legal edge of space. Just like how getting to the edge of sex is the same as sex. Although we've only had them for a handful of years, our child pilots have trained from birth to handle these planes with military precision, deploying high-speed surprise tactics to rain bombs or machine-gun fire on enemy targets.
Trait: Can Into Space - Capable of suborbital ultra-high-altitude operation, the SHTJF remain almost undetectable until they drop in on a battlefield from above.

D10 Roll: 4

It is now the Character Development phase.

Spoiler: Current Roster (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 07:38:57 pm by Stirk »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anime Arms Race Empire of Jingay - Character Development Phase 1
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2021, 01:20:36 am »

All right. I think we should probably target the jet fighters, our weakest unit, with the development. What do you think, TM? And is anyone else still watching this?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7