Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Anime Arms Race Empire of Jingay -Deployment Phase 4  (Read 5519 times)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anime Arms Race Empire of Jingay - Character Development Phase 1
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2021, 09:08:19 am »

Sure.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2021, 04:53:24 pm »

So I only just now had the chance to get to this, but this is the first thing I came up with:

Mysterious Cockpit Fluid: By suspending the pilots in a breathable oxygenated liquid so they can focus 100% of their attention on reacting to the unfolding battle circumstances, our Super High-Tech Jet Fighters become more efficient.

On the other hand, it's not really subverting the anime component... we could lean further into being the non-animu side with something like this instead:

Actual Adult Pilots: Following an incredibly counter-intuitive suggestion from our western allies, we have experimented with replacing our child pilots with highly-qualified adults who actually went to regular schools as kids and then trained as pilots afterward. Our scientists can't really explain it yet, but somehow this does appear to have made the Super High-Tech Jet Fighters better.

... I think I like this one better, yeah.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2021, 05:09:06 pm »

So I only just now had the chance to get to this, but this is the first thing I came up with:

Mysterious Cockpit Fluid: By suspending the pilots in a breathable oxygenated liquid so they can focus 100% of their attention on reacting to the unfolding battle circumstances, our Super High-Tech Jet Fighters become more efficient.

On the other hand, it's not really subverting the anime component... we could lean further into being the non-animu side with something like this instead:

Actual Adult Pilots: Following an incredibly counter-intuitive suggestion from our western allies, we have experimented with replacing our child pilots with highly-qualified adults who actually went to regular schools as kids and then trained as pilots afterward. Our scientists can't really explain it yet, but somehow this does appear to have made the Super High-Tech Jet Fighters better.

... I think I like this one better, yeah.

Actual Adult Pilots: TricMagic

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2021, 09:04:41 pm »

Actual Adult Pilots: TricMagic
We'll just go with that one, then, unless someone else shows up to disagree!

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2021, 01:08:28 am »

Actual Adult Pilots: +D5 = +2

Super High-Tech Jet Fighters's strength is now 6. Rumor has it that the former child pilots have leveraged their single-digit years of experience and are now working in civilian aviation. Booster seats have been added to many captain's chairs as a result.

It is now the Deployment phase. Please choose where to deploy each of your troops, and who gets Westernization for this turn.

Spoiler: Current Roster (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Step Status (click to show/hide)
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anime Arms Race Empire of Jingay - Deployment Phase 1
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2021, 06:53:50 am »

All right, I'm about to go to bed, but before I do, uh...

Jet fighters to the mountains, obviously. They should have the advantage there. Super High-Tech Jet Fighters → Line 1
Saiō to hold the centre. Saio Princess Hanako, Temple Maiden Army → Line 2
Ted to the, uh, other, less nicely symmetrical mountains, I guess. Ted Yamamoto → Line 3

I'm not sure what to do with the Retainers or Ōtokage. I feel like Ōtokage should just stay in reserve for now, allowing Ted to get the Friendship is Overrated bonus, but I could agree to deploying it with him if you want to be more careful. I guess the Retainers should go support the Jet Fighters. Or should I put them with Hanako, compromising them slightly in order to give her her bonus? I was planning on just hoping the enemy sends male troops there. That, and I'm a little worried the Jet Fighters are too weak to hold their own, although I'd give them Westernization if left alone. Those rolls kind of sucked. (If they do get backup, I'd give Westernization to the retainers instead. I feel like Hanako and the Maidens shouldn't get it because they're the traditionalist faction. Could put it on Ōtokage to represent it getting redecorated to look more western if we do deploy it, though.)

I'm also open to reorganizing anything else, although it just feels *right* to me to have Hanako, the lynchpin of tradition, hold the centre.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2021, 05:27:38 pm »

Well, if TricMagic doesn't have any other opinions, I'll say:
Cowboy Samurai Retainers → Line 3
Ōtokage stays in reserve

Westernization: Super High-Tech Jet Fighters
: The Super High-Tech Jet Fighters receive the benefit of a large RADAR unit, shipped from our western allies, hidden in the mountains, giving them the Radio Killed the Visual Approach trait for the duration of the turn.
Radio Killed the Visual Approach: The new modern technology of RADAR allows our pilots to pinpoint the locations of enemy units, to make the maximum use of the element of surprise they enjoy from their high-altitude capability.

I am calling this Plan Pat Benatar because whatever we design and emplace, for worse or for better, we belong, we belong, we belong together.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2021, 06:17:28 pm »

Well, if TricMagic doesn't have any other opinions, I'll say:
Cowboy Samurai Retainers → Line 3
Ōtokage stays in reserve

Westernization: Super High-Tech Jet Fighters
: The Super High-Tech Jet Fighters receive the benefit of a large RADAR unit, shipped from our western allies, hidden in the mountains, giving them the Radio Killed the Visual Approach trait for the duration of the turn.
Radio Killed the Visual Approach: The new modern technology of RADAR allows our pilots to pinpoint the locations of enemy units, to make the maximum use of the element of surprise they enjoy from their high-altitude capability.

I am calling this Plan Pat Benatar because whatever we design and emplace, for worse or for better, we belong, we belong, we belong together.
+1

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2021, 11:48:53 pm »

Combat Phase 1

We've received a glorious victory across all three fronts, much in part to the enemy Leader (whoever she is) cowardly hiding while our brave Emperor went to the front lines to fight the Confederation personally.

In the mountains, we faced crow-and-raven humans armed with rifled muskets. They had attempted to use admittedly impressive stealth tactics and powerful night vision to ambush our jet fighters - a plan torn entirely to pieces by the RADAR given to use by our allies. And then the enemy was also torn into pieces more directly by our bombs and machine guns. Having adult pilots gave us the opportunity to strike at night as well - now that they are capable of staying up past curfew. In the end it was a complete victory as we took the mountains while they scattered to the caves.

Line moved to B4, Enemy Unit Incapacitated 2 turns.

The Valley was full of woman. There was literally zero fighting men. The Confederation sent an all-female cavalry. The Confederation sent an all-female artillery brigade. We sent an all-female Miko group. Our Princess was left wondering if her Gods have forsaken her.

But the Kami of victory hadn't at least. Our Mikos where left to fight a cavalry mainly made up of catgirls, armed mostly with swords and pistols themselves. Assisting the cavalry was accurate breach-loading artillery womanned by yet more catgirls. The fighting was neck and neck and could have gone either way, but luck was on our side and Princess Hanako broke through the Calvary personally brandishing her anti-catgirl blessed sword and made a rush at the artillery forcing the enemy to retreat. It seems that the enemy has somehow focused on defense, as the enemy managed to get out of the fight without any Incapacitations despite our victory.

Line moved up to B5.

Our Young Emperor and his loyal retainers faced off against a general and his line-infantry. For those wondering these where indeed men, or at least cat-men. Armed with rifled muskets and firing volleys by platoon they made attempt after attempt at Ted's head, only for him to fight them off with his quick-draw. The enemy general seemed to avoid fighting Ted personally with a rather defensive mindset - but proved competent with his own revolver (with a secondary shotgun barrel) when facing the cowboy retainers. After a relatively close fight the enemy general sounded retreat unable to do significant damage to our head of state - but at the same time his defensive mindset prevented any major damage on his own side.

Line moved up to B6.

It is now Protagonist Phase 2.

Spoiler: Current Roster (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Step Status (click to show/hide)
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2021, 02:14:55 am »

Oh wow, that's really funny about the middle line. Poor Hanako.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2021, 09:52:13 am »

That's what happens when you face filthy animu, you face catgirls.

Can you write up some insults to deliver?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2021, 09:11:11 pm »

Okay, I'm a little sick and still have no idea what to do here. Well, not actually no idea, but I have a migraine and things don't click together the way they're supposed to when I have a migraine.

I have this concept for the next protagonist of the kids' uncle who has inexplicably been training in Europe as a vampire-hunter or general supernatural-thing-hunter, with traits that give him an anti-magic field and bonus damage against female units because of his suave European charm or something. And I was thinking that his anti-magic nature would... somehow make animal people turn into regular animals near him. I feel like this gels well as a concept, but I can't get it to come out properly right now. I'll write something better about it when I'm able.

I also think about focusing on defense-breaking for our support and development.

As for insults, what are you looking for? Something about their suffering a catastrophe on all fronts? :P

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2021, 09:20:51 pm »

:P

I'll bring some stuff out.

Prospectors
What's more western than the wild west? The gun-totin sharp-pickin set of miners an panhandlers are skilled at ore collection, cave explodin, and just plain survivin. No animals are going to get the best of them.

Wait, this is surpportin isn' it? Nope. The best of them is Wild Rush Jack, an explorer who found the fountain of youth and gold, but chose the gold and stole the youth. When it comes to tracking down their quarry, none are better.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 09:23:34 pm by TricMagic »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2021, 05:39:21 am »

I liked the idea of a fortune-hunter so I did this.

Royal Uncle Dave - Daisuke "Oklahoma Dave" Yamamoto, collateral 'spare' of the last generation, left the Empire in his youth to seek his fortune in the West, and sample its exotic culture and its exotic women. Having had his fill of a life as a dashing adventurer trekking the jungles of the Americas and the icy wastes of Canada, he retired a wealthy mining and railroad magnate. Now, news has finally reached him of the attack upon his family and fatherland by the perfidious Confederation, and he has returned to the country of his birth to provide both his wisdom and his wealth to the next generation. He uses showy weapons like the machete and the whip to impress the ladies, but tends to just shoot anyone who poses a genuine threat.
Traits:
- Princeton Educated: Having absorbed a Western tradition of secular naturalism and reason, Dave does not believe in magic, and magic doesn't believe in him either. Dave's critical analysis defuses the mystique of seemingly supernatural phenomena in his vicinity, making it obvious to all that they are nothing more than benign everyday happenings disguised through tricks. Vampires are just the product of a superstitious runaway imagination inventing scary rumours about ordinary reclusive noblemen (or women) with a taste for red wine who don't get enough sun, and that catgirl is clearly just a normal animal some fool has stuffed into a dress to confuse people.
- Penetration Expert: Years of sneaking into trap-filled ancient temples have given Dave extensive insight into the infiltration and conquest of the most heavily fortified positions. He has a bonus against enemies that have adopted a defensive orientation.
- Pecuniary Extravagance: Dave's endless supply of Western currency rivals his endless supply of Western wisdom as his greatest strength. Once per turn, during the Battle phase, he can purchase the equivalent of a Character Development for Empire characters in the same step, in the form of some pricey new equipment or asset.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 07:41:20 pm by Maximum Spin »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2021, 09:44:58 am »

I liked the idea of a fortune-hunter so I did this.

Royal Uncle Dave - Daisuke "Oklahoma Dave" Yamamoto, collateral 'spare' of the last generation, left the Empire in his youth to seek his fortune in the West, and sample its exotic culture and its exotic women. Having had his fill of a life as a dashing adventurer trekking the jungles of the Americas and the icy wastes of Canada, he retired a wealthy mining and railroad magnate. Now, news has finally reached him of the attack upon his family and fatherland by the perfidious Confederation, and he has returned to the country of his birth to provide both his wisdom and his wealth to the next generation. He uses showy weapons like the machete and the whip to impress the ladies, but tends to just shoot anyone who poses a genuine threat.
Traits:
- Princeton Educated: Having absorbed a Western tradition of secular naturalism and reason, Dave does not believe in magic, and magic doesn't believe in him either. Dave's critical analysis defuses the mystique of seemingly supernatural phenomena in his vicinity, making it obvious to all that they are nothing more than benign everyday happenings disguised through tricks. Vampires are just the product of a superstitious runaway imagination inventing scary rumours about ordinary reclusive noblemen (or women) with a taste for red wine who don't get enough sun, and that catgirl is clearly just a normal animal some fool has stuffed into a dress to confuse people.
- Penetration Expert: Years of sneaking into trap-filled ancient temples have given Dave extensive insight into the infiltration and conquest of the most heavily fortified positions. He has a bonus against enemies that have adopted a defensive orientation.
- Pecuniary Extravagance: Dave's endless supply of Western currency rivals his endless supply of Western wisdom as his greatest strength. Once per turn, during the Battle phase, he can purchase the equivalent of a Character Development for the Empire character of his choosing, in the form of some pricey new equipment or asset.
+1
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7