Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Anime Arms Race Empire of Jingay -Deployment Phase 4  (Read 5523 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Anime Arms Race Empire of Jingay - Deployment Phase 1
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2021, 07:18:12 pm »

I liked the idea of a fortune-hunter so I did this.

Royal Uncle Dave - Daisuke "Oklahoma Dave" Yamamoto, collateral 'spare' of the last generation, left the Empire in his youth to seek his fortune in the West, and sample its exotic culture and its exotic women. Having had his fill of a life as a dashing adventurer trekking the jungles of the Americas and the icy wastes of Canada, he retired a wealthy mining and railroad magnate. Now, news has finally reached him of the attack upon his family and fatherland by the perfidious Confederation, and he has returned to the country of his birth to provide both his wisdom and his wealth to the next generation. He uses showy weapons like the machete and the whip to impress the ladies, but tends to just shoot anyone who poses a genuine threat.
Traits:
- Princeton Educated: Having absorbed a Western tradition of secular naturalism and reason, Dave does not believe in magic, and magic doesn't believe in him either. Dave's critical analysis defuses the mystique of seemingly supernatural phenomena in his vicinity, making it obvious to all that they are nothing more than benign everyday happenings disguised through tricks. Vampires are just the product of a superstitious runaway imagination inventing scary rumours about ordinary reclusive noblemen (or women) with a taste for red wine who don't get enough sun, and that catgirl is clearly just a normal animal some fool has stuffed into a dress to confuse people.
- Penetration Expert: Years of sneaking into trap-filled ancient temples have given Dave extensive insight into the infiltration and conquest of the most heavily fortified positions. He has a bonus against enemies that have adopted a defensive orientation.
- Pecuniary Extravagance: Dave's endless supply of Western currency rivals his endless supply of Western wisdom as his greatest strength. Once per turn, during the Battle phase, he can purchase the equivalent of a Character Development for the Empire character of his choosing, in the form of some pricey new equipment or asset.

As per my arbitrary rules, Leaders are the only ones capable of having abilities that can effect the entire army. Pecuniary Extravagance will thus only work for himself despite otherwise being similar to Westernization.

And just to be clear Princeton Educated also works for magic on your side right?
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2021, 07:24:08 pm »

As per my arbitrary rules, Leaders are the only ones capable of having abilities that can effect the entire army. Pecuniary Extravagance will thus only work for himself despite otherwise being similar to Westernization.

And just to be clear Princeton Educated also works for magic on your side right?
Can it work for troops deployed with him? It seems like that would make sense too, since it only applies for the turn in which they are deployed with him anyway.

As for Princeton Educated, that was the intent, yeah. If we can get all benefit with no drawback, I'm sure we'd both take it, but I was assuming that we would have to keep him away from the priestesses because of their fundamental worldview differences.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2021, 07:31:53 pm »

Can it work for troops deployed with him? It seems like that would make sense too, since it only applies for the turn in which they are deployed with him anyway.

As for Princeton Educated, that was the intent, yeah. If we can get all benefit with no drawback, I'm sure we'd both take it, but I was assuming that we would have to keep him away from the priestesses because of their fundamental worldview differences.

Sure, troops in the same step can work.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2021, 12:02:24 am »

Sure, troops in the same step can work.
I vote we go with that, then.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2021, 12:13:00 am »

D20 Roll: 14! PE power!

It is now the Supporting Character phase.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anime Arms Race Empire of Jingay - Supporting Character Phase 2
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2021, 08:08:46 am »

Boom Arsonist Prospectors
What's more western than the wild west? The gun-totin sharp-pickin set of miners an panhandlers are skilled at ore collection, cave explodin, and just plain survivin. No animals are going to get the best of them.

-Blow it all to hell!: Explosive charges for creating cave-ins, new passages, or anythin else needed. Good for clearin trees too.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 11:45:16 am by TricMagic »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2021, 09:02:58 am »

They only get one trait. I'd half-written-up a version of miners with the same focus on explosives for the defense breaching, but I stopped because I wasn't sure it was necessarily the most useful trait - we can do either hunting or blasting. I'm open to either. I also thought about doing supernatural-hunters or maybe a Warehouse 13/The Librarian kind of thing (anomalous object cataloguers... I guess the more internetty comparison is the SCP thing). Still weighing what the best direction to go is, happy for input. I do think I know what I want to do for the Development unless we roll really badly on something and need to emergency shape it up.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2021, 10:50:20 am »

Blow it all to hell!

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2021, 08:24:49 am »

I am okay with that except that it should have a three-word name. You know, for consistency. ("Jet Fighters" is serving as a single noun, at least.)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2021, 11:44:51 am »

What's more western than the wild west? The gun-totin sharp-pickin set of miners an panhandlers are skilled at ore collection, cave explodin, and just plain survivin. No animals are going to get the best of them.

-Blow it all to hell!: Explosive charges for creating cave-ins, new passages, or anythin else needed. Good for clearin trees too.
Done

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2021, 11:49:51 am »

Lol, okay.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2021, 12:08:42 am »

D10 Roll: 8!

It is now the Character Development Phase.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anime Arms Race Empire of Jingay - Character Development Phase 2
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2021, 09:42:54 am »

Kakkoī Draconic Renovation: Finally, after months of labor at unimaginable expense, the project of remodelling Great Nexus Ōtokage to match Emperor Ted's Western aesthetics is complete! The original sleek, metallic design representing a sacred lizard has been covered in thousands of yards of imported leathers, transforming it into a flawless likeness of a fiery European dragon, while the plasma guns have all been converted to fire in a synchronized torrential broadside from the mouth on command. Fearsome beyond measure and indistinguishable from a genuine dragon from the outside, to stand against the rechristened Dragon Nexus Ōtokage is to die.

Dragon Nexus Ōtokage gains the trait Crouching Dragon, Dragon Dragon.
- Crouching Dragon, Dragon Dragon: The appearance of a fearsome dragon swooping over the horizon, breathing deadly plasma that incinerates its enemies, is the kind of victorious omen that can turn a battle in seconds. Dragon Nexus Ōtokage's terrible aura damages the morale of the enemy while bolstering our own.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2021, 10:16:55 am »

Kakkoī Draconic Renovation: Finally, after months of labor at unimaginable expense, the project of remodelling Great Nexus Ōtokage to match Emperor Ted's Western aesthetics is complete! The original sleek, metallic design representing a sacred lizard has been covered in thousands of yards of imported leathers, transforming it into a flawless likeness of a fiery European dragon, while the plasma guns have all been converted to fire in a synchronized torrential broadside from the mouth on command. Fearsome beyond measure and indistinguishable from a genuine dragon from the outside, to stand against the rechristened Dragon Nexus Ōtokage is to die.

Dragon Nexus Ōtokage gains the trait Crouching Dragon, Dragon Dragon.
- Crouching Dragon, Dragon Dragon: The appearance of a fearsome dragon swooping over the horizon, breathing deadly plasma that incinerates its enemies, is the kind of victorious omen that can turn a battle in seconds. Dragon Nexus Ōtokage's terrible aura damages the morale of the enemy while bolstering our own.
+1

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2021, 10:59:03 pm »

Thy will be done! It is now the Deployment phase. Remember to specify the effect of Dave and Ted's abilities.

Spoiler: Current Roster (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Step Status (click to show/hide)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7