Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Windows 11: Microsoft's newest attempt to force you to upgrade your computer  (Read 8414 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Free garbage is still garbage.
I figured that when money hungry Microsoft gave win10 away for free that it must be complete shit.

10 was free because 8 was so bad. It was a damage control update and name change to drop a toxic label.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile

It was free because the end user had nothing to gain from getting it. Win10 was at best a blatant attempt to reduce microsoft's maintance costs while offering a bad product. Had they charged for it, the outrage from the shitshow that was Win10's launch would have been far far greater.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

I always thought the point of Windows 10 was delivering in-OS advertisements and links to Microsoft services.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile

I heard an internet connection will be required for all Windows 11.  No local account option like 10 has.  That's reason enough for me to avoid it.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile

"But sometimes I don't want to be online"
Microsoft: "You must connect all the time."

...when do they offer the free blue tooth upgrade?  :P

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A laptop that needs to always be online to use sounds like it would be the most useless piece of shit where I live because our internet isn't very reliable.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile

Yeah, as a commuter that is very unappealing. I would expect it to be similar to Steam, though. You just have to sort of wait for it to not connect and then lets you sign in without internet.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

But (somehow, in some manner we will gloss over) using a microsoft account unstead of a local one is so much more secure, that it would be unconscionable to allow you to use anything else, valued user!

Please, enjoy these preloaded and curated applications that have been tested by our teams, and which we feel will best suit your user experience needs! Dont worry, if you somehow uninstall them, we will reinstall them for you on the next feature update! We will even set them as the default handler for you, because we know all about how those  OTHER vendors try to trick you! Be sure to try our new and improved Edge browser (which is really chrome inside a proprietary wrapper without your ability to code audit!) which you cant bypass now, because we care so much about your security!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

To be honest, a lot of Android stuff I come across can be stuffy about not being connected[1], and not having your GPS on[2], and not signed on more specifically[3].

The Android system itself has a couple[4] of niggles[5], that I have to live with (could just be this maunfacturer-flavour of this version, but also coincidentally cropped up in prior incarnations) and get used to. It's the Future Of (The Internet Of) Things!

Sorry, a bit of an Android moan there, and I know I'm a bit of a skewed-technoluddite on various matters. But if in any way Windows is trying to get into the same vein (they are... having failed to get Windows Mobile sufficiently like their desktop product, they seem to instead have been intent on making their desktop versions more phonelike to meet (more than) half way) then they're removing what I always thought worked. Or maybe they're just going more Mac-like (getting as close as they can to removing Apple's distinctiveness without repeating some of the '80s/'90s accusations of copying GUI philosophies) which, given the similar iOS/OSX linkage and "gotta look more 'swish' and fresh" aesthetic drive, goes the same way and only goes to overshadow the operational changes in the background that are actually more significant/pernicious to someone like me.

But I'm not the masses. The target audience will probably judge it all a good thing, over all. Or be forced to.

Spoiler: Feetnete (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 05:58:05 am by Starver »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

I will just hawk this here.

https://github.com/LineageOS

https://download.lineageos.org/

If there is something you dont like, you can change it, compile, and flash.

Good luck getting that out of Apple.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well. I recently upgraded phones...and that other one is just sitting there...and this weekend? Well nothing important...

Must resist urge to dabble in more OSes.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

When Steam does its daily update it not only takes forever to go from disconnected to connected if you had it on, but if you try to boot it up from scratch while the server is basically down you can't even get into offline mode (you'll be looped into the login window and obviously unable to proceed) way too often. Sometimes Steam tries to stay on but is completely useless and you have to force quit from the task manager. For the Seattle server it's around 3-4PM Pacific. This is your future with 11 even if you do have internet access.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile

When Steam does its daily update it not only takes forever to go from disconnected to connected if you had it on, but if you try to boot it up from scratch while the server is basically down you can't even get into offline mode (you'll be looped into the login window and obviously unable to proceed) way too often. Sometimes Steam tries to stay on but is completely useless and you have to force quit from the task manager. For the Seattle server it's around 3-4PM Pacific. This is your future with 11 even if you do have internet access.

A bit off topic, but I found a user config file in my steam folder where changing wantsofflinemode from a 0 to a 1 gets you straight into the offline mode startup.  I just made a shortcut to that file next to the regular steam shortcut for simplicity.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Stardock's Start11 allows you to basically revert Windows 11's desktop environment to Windows 10. I love when a company can sell a product to remove "features" of a product.
Pages: 1 [2]