Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Windows 11: Microsoft's newest attempt to force you to upgrade your computer  (Read 8472 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile

I'm a bit appalled that even though my laptop meets all the specs, the CPU is too old to be on the list and is thus rated as not Windows 11 compatible.  So I can manually install, and suffer system instability that will inevitably result, or get a new computer.  Several actually, since I run a small business (Protip: don't run a small business).

Oh, but they're continuing support for Windows 10 you say? HA HA HA, wonder how long that will last.

Ok, I'll let everyone jump in, I've ranted enough.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

Just use linux.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They say support will last until 2025.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

I found a running process on my PC called PCHealth.exe.

Couldn't kill it from the Task Manager, was told it's "open in another folder."

Doesn't show up in my Control Panel as an installed program. Usually a huge red flag.

Procexp.exe couldn't find a running file path. (Usually a dead give away to shenanigans.)

My own administrator account was not allowed to change user-level permissions against the .exe. Now I'm getting paranoid.

So I go to the program folder and start renaming DLLs and deleting .exes, some of which I can and some of which I can't. Starting to think it's time to boot in safe mode and do all the usual "i've been compromised" routine.

But I google around and find out its a stand alone application for Microsoft to check your system compatibility for Win11.

It's just like when Microsoft created a stand alone process to monitor and attempt to get you to upgrade to Win10.

Dear MS,

If you're going to do this shit, at the very least can you NOT MAKE IT LOOK LIKE FUCKING PIECE OF MALWARE IN EVERY WAY, SHAPE AND FORM.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2021, 04:11:34 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Huh, I had to manually install and run that program to find out why this laptop wasn't compatible (i5 CPU). I was then able uninstall it with out issue. Maybe we hav different update settings.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They said that there would never be a successor to Windows 10... ;)

I was going to treat myself to a new machine (self-build) for Windows-only use, this Christmas, and maybe a lesser sibling for someone else to migrate to once I was sure I hadn't missed some of the latest compatability issues that you inevitably get by sourcing components separately.

I might let that wait now. Neither setting up a 7/10 (with the imminent 11 on the way) nor preparing a 11 from scratch (once available) seems like an attractive prospect right now. So I'll stick with my current menagerie. But I'll be very interested in any conversation that arises here. Perhaps I'll go back to plan A as a result.

As regular readers should know, as well as some non-MS[1] installs, I'm still running a number of XP machines in various legacy capacities and even one with 2K. I deal with the issues that inevitably result by a combination of sheer bloody-mindedness and not a little tweaking and cursing at times.

Re: PCHealth thing... Reminds me of the jdbgmgr.exe Teddy-Bear thing. But also one of the reasons I've been not overly enamoured of MS for a while now. And apparently they've recently topped the financial lists again, so must be smhgly unstoppable without any help from me.

[1] And nothing at all from the Apple-cart. A very big gap in my knowledge, which I really should fill but it's always remained an unattractive option for personal use so my experience remains untested and unstimulated almost since the Apple ][... ;)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile

Just use linux.

I made the full switch about a week before Windows 11 leaked and was so smug for that week.

With regards to forced upgrades - I enjoyed this article from hackaday on the topic.

Overall, yeah - I think 2025 is a fair window for people to upgrade. I would have upgraded by now, but graphics card prices are still borked here because of the crypto-surge.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

I do in fact need to upgrade my laptop.  The issue though, is not with the CPU, but with intel's shit gpu.

Intel shit GPUs are like a cancer in the market for suitable laptops-- not all discrete solutions are prohibitively expensive, but the OEMs dont want to use them, because they can more sharply reduce unit costs through straight up omission. (since they can use the shit GPU inside the CPU.)  This means that a stark disproportionality exists, where there are lots of intel GPUs out there, and almost no offerings with those less expensive discrete chips (that perform better.)

EG, I am upset at the proportion of midrange offers that vomit the intel GPU, and nothing else. Its like being forced to use Dollar General like a grocery store, because no other offers are in your service area.  DollarGeneral causes food deserts, Intel makes graphics option deserts.

I am waiting for the fallout of the great resignation to force wage alignments, and the market to settle, before throwing down the extra moolah for something without the intel shit gpu.

Until then, there's clever abuse of the mesa rendering pipeline, and linux.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I found a running process on my PC called PCHealth.exe.

Dear MS,

If you're going to do this shit, at the very least can you NOT MAKE IT LOOK LIKE FUCKING PIECE OF MALWARE IN EVERY WAY, SHAPE AND FORM.
Uh, they can't do that, since it basically IS Malware.  You didn't install it, you can't delete it, you don't get to know about it, it just appears, and it solely exists to get you go buy into their software.  If it didn't come from Microsoft, I think it WOULD be classified as Malware. (EDIT: Ok, maybe its just Spyware or Adware)

Its like being forced to use Dollar General like a grocery store, because no other offers are in your service area.

Oh, that totally happens.  Dollar General is still a step up from the Gas Station, however.  Using the Gas Station like a grocery store would be like using a cell phone because you can't get a computer.  Ah, the great divide(s).

Also, sadly I do need to upgrade all my computers.  It's just, I can't afford it at this moment.  Kinda need to try and squeak another year out of as many of my computers as I can.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As far as I can tell win10 has been this weird OS/spyware thing since it was first released and I don't get why people want it or would want to get win11 which will probably be the same thing but even worse.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Saw a thing that MS has temporarily disabled the PCHealth checker. Apparently I wasn't the only one pissed off about it.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Saw a thing that MS has temporarily disabled the PCHealth checker. Apparently I wasn't the only one pissed off about it.
...and now MS controls whether or not we can use the program they forced us to have on our computers.  I mean, it had marginal utility.  It could say whether or not your rig would likely support Windows 11, and why.  Now users can't check that, even though they might now be curious about it.

Hopefully, MS will get scared into increasing its list of supported systems for Windows 11.  While I haven't loved Windows 10, I did like how it was possible to install for free upon older systems (if they had the space to install it).

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

...and now MS controls whether or not we can use the program they forced us to have on our computers.  I mean, it had marginal utility.  It could say whether or not your rig would likely support Windows 11, and why.  Now users can't check that, even though they might now be curious about it.

Hopefully, MS will get scared into increasing its list of supported systems for Windows 11.  While I haven't loved Windows 10, I did like how it was possible to install for free upon older systems (if they had the space to install it).

Now MS controls...? They always have. They had a similar setup for the 10 upgrade. They snuck in an update just to install the "can you upgrade to 10" software that always ran. Free garbage is still garbage.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

IIRC, you can still manually download and install the PC Health checker.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Free garbage is still garbage.
I figured that when money hungry Microsoft gave win10 away for free that it must be complete shit.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: [1] 2