Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Project Athena v.Γ - ASCII 9x / 18x  (Read 17618 times)

Tabula Rasa

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Project Athena v.Γ - ASCII 9x / 18x
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2022, 12:15:17 pm »

With that out of the way, I'd like to ask how you all feel about having an optional DFHack installation bundled in with the set? As it is now, Project Athena is designed to use the graphical version for the game window, ground tile mask and all, without interfering with the pure text version used everywhere else. On the one hand, I'd assume most players who manually search out tilesets here on the forum probably don't have any issue plugging the set into their own custom installations (which is more flexible, and doesn't tie a version to a particular build of DFHack), and on the other, I feel like I could instead use that energy to request the set be adopted by the newb packs (probably the saner option considering how close the Steam version is).

If not a bundled installation, then I might recommend at least some basic installation instructions - they would surely benefit folks such as myself, who have played with solely ASCII tilesets for years, but want to branch out a little and are not quite sure how to set up TWBT etc.

Also - have you considered adding these to the wiki's tileset repository? I was quite lucky to have stumbled across this as I usually don't browse these forums (but I'm glad I did!).

Awesome stuff so far! :D

Eunoia

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2022, 06:18:04 pm »

I made an account just to say:

This is now my main tileset. I love it and think it's sick-wicked-awesome.

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2023, 08:48:17 am »

While we wait for dfhack, I'll go ahead and post the bare tilesets (with standard dwarf smileys). The full version prioritises graphical rendering, but is still decent for text (mostly just replacing the 'O' with the pillar glyph and tinting various characters. There is also the pure ASCII version without tinting if you prefer!

Known issues:
  • Dynamic scaling seems to be bugged. From testing, if the game is scaled down at all, the buttons along the bottom of the screen are unclickable. In the case of Project Athena, that makes the 18x set unplayable at 1080p. 1440p is unaffected.

Here is a sample of the 9x full set using the Project Athena colour scheme:

9x full version:

9x text version:

18x full version:

18x text version:

To install, navigate to the Dwarf Fortress directory (for the Steam version, that's in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Dwarf Fortress) and place your chosen tileset inside data\art. For this example, let's rename it athena.png. Open data\init\init_default.txt and change the following lines:

Code: [Select]
[FONT:athena.png]
[FULLFONT:athena.png]
[BASIC_FONT:athena.png]
[USE_CLASSIC_ASCII:YES]

Here is my colour scheme, if you'd like to use it. Back up colors.txt in data\init and replace its contents with the text below:
Code: [Select]
[BLACK_R:18]
[BLACK_G:16]
[BLACK_B:18]
[BLUE_R:3]
[BLUE_G:91]
[BLUE_B:141]
[GREEN_R:81]
[GREEN_G:106]
[GREEN_B:35]
[CYAN_R:11]
[CYAN_G:137]