Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Project Athena v.Γ - ASCII 9x / 18x  (Read 17270 times)

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Project Athena v.Γ - ASCII 9x / 18x
« on: November 15, 2021, 09:18:46 am »

The Aspects of Art and Wisdom

Born out of a desire to expand upon what I liked from several other sources for my own personal use, I've decided to contribute to the small tileset space by making mine public. Inspired by the sharp clarity of Taffer with the clever opacity tricks explored by Grim Fortress and Lonesome Tileset, it has since adopted a subtle Greek theme with a new wall set and dwarf glyphs at its core.

While the tileset has been developed for use with TWBT, I've kept the graphics set mostly agnostic so that it can be used alone with the vanilla game should you so choose. Also included is a custom colour scheme with a warm mediterranean vibe, and all tileset varieties also have linearly upscaled 18x options!

Colour Theme Preview:

Font Previews:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Screenshots:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

DOWNLOAD

Please feel free to offer feedback! The tileset is (as it will ever be) a work in progress.

Credits go to Daniel The Finlander for his fortress 'Understars' which is featured in the banner and a screenshot, to Taffer for his graphics set template and a few tiles (most notably the partially dug rock tiles in row 12), to lightrow's Grim Fortress for his tile opacity mask and to Meph for his lever override code!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 09:41:06 am by Reverie »

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Project Athena v.α - ASCII 9x9
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2021, 09:24:38 am »

[Reserved]

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2021, 03:12:33 am »

I do love the classic grim set (which I self converted up to 47.05 standards with a few config edits for my own use) and experimented myself looking at lonesome set, i am very excited to get this up and running. Looks exquisite.  :D

Koumakan

• Bay Watcher
  • Amanojaku
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2021, 09:11:48 pm »

Very nice

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Project Athena v.β - ASCII 9x9
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2021, 07:40:22 am »

An update!

Changelog:
  • A new graphics set to represent the sentient races!
    • Dwarves:

Elves:

Humans:

Goblins:

Kobolds:

• Reversion of the military human glyph to its simple text form
  • Lever graphics have been moved to an override file
  • ó and ň have replaced them to conserve text glyphs
  • A few other text glyph improvements and discrepancy fixes

Let's discuss the new graphics! A lot of consideration went into how I should go about expanding upon the dwarf glyphs (Δ δ) and by extension the overarching Greek theme. How does one even go about mixing letters in from another alphabet in a way that is both tasteful and consistent?

There were two schools of thought along this vein, though bear with me, because I'm not Greek. I should have maybe led with that.

English phonetics:
Code: [Select]
dwarf : Δ δ

elf : Ε ε

human : Χ χ

goblin : Γ γ

kobold: Κ κ

Greek phonetics:
Code: [Select]
dwarf : νάνος : nános : Ν ν

elf : ξωτικό : xotikó : Ξ ξ

human : ο άνθρωπος : o ánthropos : Ά ά

goblin : καλικάντζαρος : kalikántzaros : Κ κ

kobold : κόβαλος : kóvalos : Κ κ

Immediately we can tell that the second bin has overloading issues with kappa. If we were to use alpha to represent humans we'd probably often wonder why there were fish flopping around in the tavern! Moreover, nu is halfhearted as a dwarf glyph and doesn't have nearly the recognition potential as delta would for dwarves. As it is, I'm sure most people who will be trying the set already has some adjusting to do with a faceless dwarf (which I'm hoping the dark vanity stripe on the major races helps to alleviate!).

Xi though! I was almost tempted to pluck this one from the second bin and break consistency just to use it for the elves. I don't even dare draw it, else I might change my mind.

All things considered, the first philosophy made the most sense. Chi for humans is a bit odd, and I've decided against using capital gamma at all for now due to its weird balance, though this is pretty subjective! I think lowercase gamma across the board will work nicely, but I'd love to hear what you all think!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 08:15:06 am by Reverie »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2021, 08:34:01 am »

Posting to watch this :3
Go Reverie :D

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2021, 10:13:03 am »

Looking good. Will be interesting to see where you go with it.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Daniel the Finlander

• Bay Watcher
  • Making bacon pancakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2021, 10:53:14 am »

Neat tileset! Never expected my old fort to be used to showcase a tileset, yet here we are hehe
chances are their heads are being melted completely off due to pain forcing them to cry and tears don't evaporate so they just increase in temperature searing through the skull to the brain.

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2021, 10:59:16 am »

Neat tileset! Never expected my old fort to be used to showcase a tileset, yet here we are hehe

Hey! I really do have a thing for surface forts ^^ I feel like we're kind of a rare breed. Glad you like it!

Looking good. Will be interesting to see where you go with it.

Most of that will probably be tweaking it into oblivion :o
For bigger changes, the future is pretty open. I don't want to stray away from the ASCII aesthetic, but I'm sure there will be something!

Thanks to everyone else for showing interest too!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 11:13:09 am by Reverie »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2021, 01:02:55 am »

I like the cut of your jib.

A new graphics set to represent the sentient races!
  • Dwarves:

Elves:

Humans:

Goblins:

Kobolds:

Especially this. I look forward to seeing what you make of the capabilities in the Steam release. Keep it up!

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2021, 02:26:14 pm »

I like the cut of your jib.

Thanks! Your stuff is my biggest source of inspiration :-)

Edit: While your here though, I guess I should say I'll be sad to see you go. I enjoyed watching you experiment with the different themes!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 05:54:02 am by Reverie »

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2022, 10:30:26 am »

I played a bit with this tileset, and while I'm used to slightly bigger ones, I must say I love it. The palette is easy on the eyes, and everything is very clear. This may become my tileset of choice after all  :D.

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Project Athena v.β2 - ASCII 9x / 18x
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2022, 10:39:05 am »

I played a bit with this tileset, and while I'm used to slightly bigger ones, I must say I love it. The palette is easy on the eyes, and everything is very clear. This may become my tileset of choice after all  :D .

I'm glad you like it! I saw your succession fort post and I realised that I overlooked overriding the example dwarf graphics, having just deleted them on my end  :o
I'll go ahead and release a hotfix to simplify the install process. (If you'd like to use my dwarf glyphs, you can just delete graphics_example.txt in the raws)

Changelog:

• Added a dummy graphics_example.txt file to remove dwarf glyph conflicts

« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 03:07:44 pm by Reverie »

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Project Athena v.Γ - ASCII 9x / 18x
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2022, 10:20:50 am »

I've made a small pass over the tileset to clean up little odds and ends!

Changelog:

• Made the non-serif nature of the font consistent, particularly with the i's
  • Adjusted the orientation of the vertical wall pattern to be rotationally symmetric with the horizontal ones
  • Tweaked a few other tiles (ie. the lowercase alpha, small mountain and phi glyphs)
  • Removed the alternate font options to make putting together releases easier. If anyone wants pngs with the nonstandard fonts, let me know!

With that out of the way, I'd like to ask how you all feel about having an optional DFHack installation bundled in with the set? As it is now, Project Athena is designed to use the graphical version for the game window, ground tile mask and all, without interfering with the pure text version used everywhere else. On the one hand, I'd assume most players who manually search out tilesets here on the forum probably don't have any issue plugging the set into their own custom installations (which is more flexible, and doesn't tie a version to a particular build of DFHack), and on the other, I feel like I could instead use that energy to request the set be adopted by the newb packs (probably the saner option considering how close the Steam version is).

As always, I welcome criticism too! If I change something for the worse or you consider one of my design choices odd, please let me know ^^ 

« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 10:26:04 am by Reverie »

tundalus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Project Athena v.Γ - ASCII 9x / 18x
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2022, 11:34:06 pm »

This is beautiful! Incredible work, and I love the pallet.
Pages: [1] 2