Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Questions about dipscripts  (Read 1171 times)

Dunmeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Questions about dipscripts
« on: November 16, 2021, 09:38:34 am »

What determines which dipscript is used by a custom race? Obviously, in the vanilla game, the dwarves use dwarf_liaison scrips, elves use the elves_firstcontact and elves_standard scripts, and humans use the human_standard and human_trade scripts. But in a mod with more than that, possibly without standard elves, and with several different types of humans, how do I control which gets used by who?

Is it determined by site type? Civ behavior? Because even after changing it I've still had humans of my civ talk about the Mountainhome, but that could've easily been a mistake on my part.

Is it at all possible to make completely custom dipscripts and get custom races to use them?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: Questions about dipscripts
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2021, 01:13:46 pm »

I think dwarf_liaison is your own entity, elves_firstcontact is any race that takes issue with you cutting down trees, and human texts are used by everyone else.  I have made races that were as far from elves in every way except that they don't like you cutting trees and they used elf dialogue.

You can mod these using the WTF Tools ability (WTF stands for "Weird Text Files".)  Warning: the utility is not user-friendly; you need to run it through the command line.  Would be nice for someone to make a more user-friendly utility.

Dunmeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2021, 01:45:36 pm »

Thanks, that makes sense.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2021, 03:01:29 pm »

Actually you know what?  I decided that it should be more user friendly.
So I made this: WTFTools But User Friendly
Now everyone can mod all the text they want without mucking about in the command line.

Dunmeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2021, 08:08:59 pm »

That's pretty good. That will make things a lot easier.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 08:13:41 pm by Dunmeris »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2021, 08:47:15 pm »

Very curious indeed, answers some of my questions about textual behaviours. Finally might be able to have some sensible dialogue and proper research in this area being done, without making it as difficult or scary as programming heatseeking SCUD missile with duck-tape or something.

I wonder how I and others can utilize this. I can imagine immediately big multi player race mods like meph's might benefit.

Could anybody demo a few lines of text for some spoilered screenshot eye candy to confirm it works?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2021, 01:04:47 am »

Very curious indeed, answers some of my questions about textual behaviours. Finally might be able to have some sensible dialogue and proper research in this area being done, without making it as difficult or scary as programming heatseeking SCUD missile with duck-tape or something.

I wonder how I and others can utilize this. I can imagine immediately big multi player race mods like meph's might benefit.

Could anybody demo a few lines of text for some spoilered screenshot eye candy to confirm it works?

Unfortunately its flexibility is limited. Only a handful of text boxes in the game use WTF, those being diplomat greetings and farewells, fortress intro, reclaim and ending tezt, and the help files. You cannot specify these scripts for different races, though you can use it to remove references to dwarves and replace them with your mod's race if you only have one playable race (you cannot get the race's name in the text). For mult-race mods the best you can do is generic terms like "citizens".

It can be nice for flavor though. For example, in the Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom mod, I replaced the fortress intro text with a letter from your civ's leader.