Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Livers should play a role in poison resistance  (Read 1555 times)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Livers should play a role in poison resistance
« on: November 17, 2021, 07:17:12 am »

We have resistable poisons, alcohol among them. We have a stat controlling it. We have livers, and we have dwarves that have oversized livers. But the livers don't actually do anything.

Livers should filter alcohol and other toxins, and a damaged liver should be less effective at it.

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
Re: Livers should play a role in poison resistance
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2021, 08:17:15 am »

I'm sure you already know this, but for other readers:  On a technical level, resistance against alcohol in particular is possible, but independent of liver size:
  • Liver size is controlled by [RELSIZE:BY_CATEGORY:LIVER:200]  (dwarves have 300, a 50% increase)
  • Poison resistance in general is controlled by the Disease Resistance attribute.
  • Alcohol resistance is controlled by [SYNDROME_DILUTION_FACTOR:INEBRIATION:100]  (dwarves have 150, a 50% increase)

Notice how dwarves have to define their 50% alcohol resistance twice?  There is nothing about the liver that makes it in any way related to alcohol or poison resistance.  The tissue has no unique properties and the organ has no explicit function.  A dwarf or other humanoid could hypothetically cut its liver out and nevertheless survive drinking alcohol.

Therefore, the suggestion is to make the liver inherently required for syndrome dilution.  Nothing changes for healthy creatures, but a creature which loses or destroys its liver would suffer stronger or longer symptoms.

Relatedly, I believe the stomach, guts, spleen, and kidneys are not required to survive either.  P.S: This last statement sounds terrifying out of context.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2021, 01:15:16 pm »

Hmm…

According to the wiki, polar bears exist in the game.

Does anyone know of any adverse effects from eating polar bear livers in the game?
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2021, 06:32:11 pm »

Absolutely agree - this would be a cool addition.

Polar bear liver is just the same as any other meat, I'm quite confident.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2021, 07:16:52 pm »

Hmm…

According to the wiki, polar bears exist in the game.

Does anyone know of any adverse effects from eating polar bear livers in the game?

Agh, dangerous contaiminents in livers would be a pain to micromanage unless everything was sorted into offal and more defined lists for stockpiles. On the other hand it could be excellent for getting a head start on organs with internal reagents like cow udders containing milk, (young cows stomachs having rennet for quality chese) or more conventional poison glands as right now these just '"materialize"' with the token

Though i guess you can already add a material ingested syndrome to polar bear liver tissue that causes extreme nausea whilst being nearly impossible to manage without ruling them out entirely.

+1 to the idea, more organ function is good, to deck things out in what dwarves need and specify what they dont/ought to have to function as well as anybody else. Goblins have redundant stomachs for instance only used for politely drinking alcohol.

Its odd there aren't ear hearing token or eardrum organs either to possibly break, lose or enhance with the systems of noise, limited sight cones, tracking, grasstrample and decibels inside the game already.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2021, 07:32:36 pm »

Good to see ideas about organ functions.

And, yes, liver should play a role in poison resistance but what about the kidneys? Maybe they miht be for the day-to-day bood purification.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."